• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

pensacola + USCG aviators

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm nearing the end of my Navy commitment as a carrier guy and am really hoping the Coast Guard's DCA program opens up to fixed-wing pilots next year so I can apply. I don't mind staying Navy but I'll definitely put a package in if the CG DCA opens up to fixed-wing guys. The CG has some great missions, short deployments (like almost nothing when compared to Navy deployments) and no disassociated sea tour.

They also have great duty stations. The CG way of life is so desirable to a lot of former Army/Navy/Marine Corps guys that they apply to the DCA program knowing they will take a bust in rank (not the army warrants but any of the Navy and Marine O's do). This equates to about an 800$/month paycut when you go from an 0-3 with 8 years to an 0-1 with 8 years of service (depending on BAH rates). It speaks volumes about quality of life among services when numerous applicants are willing to take an 800$ pay cut to go to another service.

Let me guess...we are talking about some salty API or primary studs here aren't we. If any of them had a clue about some of the sh%t wx Coasties have to fly in, the lives they frequently help save, the respect they command (from say the people they rescue), and on the other side of this coin...what lies ahead for the Navy guys in the fleet (painful work-ups and a minimum 6-month cruise aboard a smelly ship every other year), they would at least keep their mouth shut if not express some admiration/jealousy for their fellow servicemen.

CG aviation is a good place to be and is quite respectable. It's a small, tight-knit community not without it's problems but with a great mission and some challenging flying. So what's up with the P-cola guys again?

Grinch

P.S. Do you know how many hotties there are on a carrier? One. That's right. There's usually only one hottie on each ship. 4700 dudes. 300 chicks. Only 1 hottie on board though. (BUPERS plans it this way because there are only 10-12 hotties in the Navy total - about one for each carrier - all enlisted. If they're ever low on hotties they cross-deck them from one carrier to the next during turnover). Do you think Coasties have any problems meeting hot chicks near any of their duty stations (besides Kodiak)?

As a Navy Helo bubba and a T-34 IP, I can tell you that CG pilots are second to none. We trained for SAR constently but rarely had to do it on the carrier (Speaks volumes for the skill of our fixed wing brethern) but when the Coasties launch they are usually going out on the real thing and in the worst of conditions. As for the bust in rank for commisioned O's wanting to go to the CG, it is O-3 to O-2 and many guys think that it is worth it.

BrownTailGuy said:
Marine, and yes even Naval Aviators that have come over.

Uh... All three are Naval Aviators. You know that.

This is the first I've ever heard anyone suggest any of the Gold-wingers were second-rate. Coasties rock.

Especially....this one time...... at the coastie club.....this coastie enlisted chick....thought she was at band camp...

Latest resources

Back