pensacola + USCG aviators

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jsoceanlord

I heard that Coast Guard student aviator's at Pensacola are known as "Dept of Transportation guys" and are therefore considered second rate. What's up with that ?

That's just rude

There's nothing second rate about the Coasties conducting search and rescue out of Kodiak Island. Takes balls if you ask me. And I hope I never need them on a dark and stormy night.

But the DOT comment is technically true. Organizationally they are not under the auspices of the DOD *except* in war time.

Since our illustrious Congress abdicated to the administration, war was never declared, and I don't know what department manages them today.

it can be argued that Coast Guard aviation does not launch until the weather is so sh1tty that everyone else has deviated around it or already landed

satpak77 said:
it can be argued that Coast Guard aviation does not launch until the weather is so sh1tty that everyone else has deviated around it or already landed

Because that's when idiots that go offshore 10 miles in their little bass fishing boats need help.

mar said:

But the DOT comment is technically true. Organizationally they are not under the auspices of the DOD *except* in war time. Since our illustrious Congress abdicated to the administration, war was never declared, and I don't know what department manages them today.

Actually, they are under the Department of Homeland Security these days. (Mar 2003)

Thank you.

DOT? No.
DOD? No.
DHS? Yup.

I'd hate to associate the USCG with the TSA. If I were king for just one day...

Mar,

Thanks for nice comments about flying SAR out of Kodiak. I was stationed there for 3 years and experienced the CG Mission up there first hand.

I am not sure where people get the idea that CG Pilots are second rate. Every year the CG has what are called DCA (Direct Commission Aviator) Boards where pilots from other services apply to come into the CG to fly and experience a different mission. Most of these guys are army helo brothers and sisters that come over but I know of several Air Force, Marine, and yes even Naval Aviators that have come over. I cannot think of any of my former contemoraries in the CG that have crossed over to the Navy or Marines (even though they wear the same Gold Wings.) There have been a few CG helo bubbas jump over to the Air Guard to fly fixed wing stuff, but there aren't that many.

My point is, there are far more DoD guys trying to jump the fence and come over to the CG (DHS) than there are trying to go the other way. So those comments from the people in P'Cola are from either the new ensigns out of the USNA or from some other misinformed source.

The CG is a great way to go. Great mission, and great people.

Hello,
I grew up on Cape Cod, and the USCG Aviators out of USCGAS/Otis ANGB were always in the news for MEDEVACS, rescues, searches, etc...Later when I was in the Navy we had friendly rivalry with Barber's Pt, rescue swimmers.
Typically, the Naval Helicopter Association Crew of the Year award goes to the "coasties" and quite a few times it's the f0olks out of Kodiak. Lots of "business" there with the fishing fleets.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

CGAV8R's

In a former life I was a CG aviator and had the pleasure to go through Navy P-cola for flight training...

The idea that someone could negatively label a Coastie is just insane... The brotherhood/sisterhood among SNA's (student naval aviators) is high and rightfully so. The ribbing is probably in jest. I gained much respect for my marine and navy contemporaries. It was only by pulling together and getting the "gouge" that we broke into the gold wings "fraternity".

If the ribbing was not in jest... For those reading this down in P-cola... Think of those coasties as the ones that MAY someday be saving your ass...

As part of Department of Homeland Security CG missions are different than those of DoD. One positive side of our flying is that we end up executing our mission often. Some of which are SAR, Drug Interdiction, Fisheries Patrols, Migrant Interdiction, Homeland Security, Ice Patrol among others... Very rewarding efforts.

KODIAK... Another world...

Latest resources

Back