• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PDT Reduction Bid Eff. Nov 1, 2009

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have heard some negative comments about Piedmont Airlines. I realize the regional airline industry isn't a place to land a career. I know some CFI's who are going to looking at regional airlines in the future. However, it's a place where many career pilots do get the experience they need to eventually move to larger carriers or better flying jobs. Is there a good or decent regional airline pilot can go to get this experience?

All regionals suck... It's just a question of how much. In some cases it's slightly less than the suck of flight instructing. For me a big part of my choice was a place that had crew bases near where I live while at least giving the appearance of treating its employees like humans. Between the 2, my choices were narrowed down to 4 when I was looking to go to an airline. Unfortunately all 4 have been beaten down quite a bit over the last 5 years. In fact the one I ended up at is being beaten yet again.

I have read on other aviation web sites that some pilots who applied to and received jobs at Southwest and Airtran got their start at the regional level. If a career pilot has to begin at the regional airline level, they need to do their research into what that particualr regional airline has to offer (if anyting) and then they can go from there. Pilots at the regional level are there to get the experience until they are ready to move onto a better paying flying career.

I have heard some negative comments about Piedmont Airlines. I realize the regional airline industry isn't a place to land a career. I know some CFI's who are going to looking at regional airlines in the future. However, it's a place where many career pilots do get the experience they need to eventually move to larger carriers or better flying jobs. Is there a good or decent regional airline pilot can go to get this experience?

I think Horizon is hated the least on here. SWA is often said to be a poor place to work on this board because they fly too many legs in a day. Oh, and you have to buy or have a 737 type rating to get a job there.

Not all regionals suck....Some are in ********************ty situations but some definitely pay better and have better contracts than others. Those at the crappier places tend to be the same guys that say "All Regionals are the same and they all suck!!"

The problem with people going to a regional just to leave quickly, is that they choose to go to a ********************hole airline for the "quick upgrade". The reason there is a quick upgrade is because it's a ********************hole airline. There is no other reason. The cheapest regionals are the ones that grow. Period. So if you want to sell yourself out for the quick upgrade, then go ahead, but you'll be looked down on by everyone at a decent regional making a decent buck.

Oh and you wont be able to afford a crashpad or hotel in Newark.

Seriously, is this day 1 at private pilot groundschool? There are other forums for fllight training students to talk. This is a professional pilot forum, sorta. Oh who am I fooling, it's the regional forum. Play on kids.

Last edited:
I have read on other aviation web sites that some pilots who applied to and received jobs at Southwest and Airtran got their start at the regional level. If a career pilot has to begin at the regional airline level, they need to do their research into what that particualr regional airline has to offer (if anyting) and then they can go from there. Pilots at the regional level are there to get the experience until they are ready to move onto a better paying flying career.

A thread that talks about people losing their jobs probably isn't the best place to get friendly responses about how jobs in the airline industry work. Poor choice of venue for your ramblings.

I am a former 1900 pilot with CJC (now in the slaab) and was based in HYA for a year. I lived in ROA and relied upon Piedmont for my commuting thru LGA, PHL or CLT many, many times. I also enjoyed many a time around the picnic table talking and bantering with the Piedmont crews there. I also at one time worked on the ramp in ROA for a few months in ROA, so I am very saddened that things are working out like this. Piedmont IS a great airline, but not for all the reasons one would imagine. Great crews...Thats what makes Piedmont great in my eyes. Difficult to say what the future may hold for our Piedmont friends, but my hopes and prayers are with you all and thanks for the ride.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Latest resources

Back