• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PDT hydraulic failure on t/o in CLT last night

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bad couple of days for trying to get to ROA. Winds were gusting to 52 today. The early afternoon flight from CLT sat it out for a while.

CLT was fun. Winds were variable 240/330 gusting 30+ knots all day. 36s were the only runways in use. Was wishing I had a video camera to film the approaches and landings when I was 10-12 in line. Fun seeing 757s and airbuses getting tossed around like tin cans. :eek:

Okay all you new hires. The pilot was unable to steer the plane back to the gate.

So which Hyd System had issues????? LOL

Lesee....

The green hydraulic system backup pump spring on the outboard nacelle intake wiper flange #2A?

What do I win?

The A system... Oh yeah.... That's not it. Must be the muffler shaft.

Recent upgrade CA on this one. Good guy who did a good job.

It was the Fetzer valve again..... they are all operated by ball bearings these days....... ya know?

Lets see what the CLT Observers editor has to say for himself after I send this to him.........

Your so called "Reporter" Clay Barbour needs to get his facts straight about aircraft reporting. First of all the De Havilland Dash 8 is not a "regional jet" it is a turbo prop aircraft. This means it has jet engines that drive a gear box which spin propellers (much to the "ignorant" general publics dismay of seeing props on airline equipment) courtesy of "you" the media. They don't realize that in many cases they are actually safer in these aircraft than on "jet equipment" thanks to the uneducated "media hype type" reporting that is shamefully shared with your readers. Your reporting never seems to mention the fact of how environmentally "green" these aircraft are in their ability to get the job done at a fraction of the fuel burn that jets consume. Everyone in the airline industry is embarrassed by the media's take on aviation related reporting. It is "sensational" in your eyes, it "grabs attention" and sells papers whether or not you and your publications even bother to take the time to check the facts.
Secondly, for having personally flown this type equipment for more than 10,000 hours, I will go on record for stating that the aircraft that Piedmont operates has an outstanding safety record. This is for 2 reasons, talented crew and a good solid airplane that is built like a tank. To the best of my knowledge no one has been seriously hurt in any incident with this particular aircraft at this company. All the De Havilland Dash 8 aircraft operated world wide have been involved in very few accidents through out its long operational history when compared to other jet aircraft.
Sorry to put such a "damper" on your reporters story! Why do you call your paper "The Observer" when your reporters are just not paying attention?
Capt. Z
:angryfire

Cap, good letter, but I doubt he'll give a rats south end.

Boy, the Charlotte Disturber gives fast responses:

Dear Captain Zaahlie:

Thank you for your correction to our article about the terrifying incident on board of the US Airways aircraft in Charlotte. Please be assured that your timely correction will appear in next week's Sunday edition, or maybe the Sunday after... We don't really know; Our ombudsman who normally handles such things went looking for something called "LBFMs" in Thailand about 4 weeks ago and hasn't been seen since. If you know anything about that, please let us know.

We especially appreciate the time you took to carefully explain the functioning of the engines on the Dash 8 aircraft. While we actually understood none of it (turbine? gear box?) I am sure that our research staff will qoute from it liberally in our next "Terror in the Skies" segement. We really don't understand the whole propeller efficiency thing... Look, the only propeller we are familiar with is the one on the beanie on the mail room boy's head. We sure do love to spin that sucker.

Thank you once again for your interest in our paper. Included with this letter is a 10% off coupon to TGI Friday's as a token of our grattitude.

Sincerely,
The Charlotte Disturber Editorial Staff

Last edited:
Lets see what the CLT Observers editor has to say for himself after I send this to him.........

He'd probably send it back to his copy editor to fix all the grammatical errors. :D :D :D

This means it has jet engines that drive a gear box which spin propellers (much to the "ignorant" general publics dismay of seeing props on airline equipment) courtesy of "you" the media.

The media makes the gear box spin the propellers?

To the best of my knowledge no one has been seriously hurt in any incident with this particular aircraft at this company.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20001211X12029&key=1

Piedmont's safety record is still outstanding, but I'd be careful making such a claim when the NTSB records don't back it up. You know how reporters are...

Why do you call your paper "The Observer" when your reporters are just not paying attention?

:laugh: Nice....

Latest resources

Back