• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

d328pilot

flying in asia
Three Piedmont first officers are a first for Embry-Riddle's CAPT program

ERAU Press Release
July 10, 2005

Daytona Beach, Fla., June 23, 2005 -- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University has placed three graduates of its Commercial Airline Pilot Training (CAPT) program as first officers at Salisbury, Md.-based Piedmont Airlines -- another milestone for the program.

Hillary Breen, Marcus Iammatteo, and Britton Tabor were signed on as first officers by Piedmont shortly after they graduated from the full-immersion program, which trains individuals with no flight experience to the highest standards of the commercial airline industry. Piedmont carries more than three million passengers a year to 49 destinations in the eastern United States, Canada, and the Bahamas with a fleet of 55 deHavilland DHC-8 aircraft.

The three graduates are completing their initial line operating experience with Piedmont and will soon finish qualifying for line flying out of the airline’s New York LaGuardia pilot base.

“We are extremely pleased with the addition of Piedmont Airlines to the list of employers hiring CAPT graduates,” said Gary Morrison, CAPT’s program manager. “We are confident that these three pilots will be successful in their new careers and will make excellent employees for Piedmont.”

Piedmont hired Breen, Iammatteo, and Tabor just after they completed the CAPT Program’s demanding jet airliner DC-9 series type-rating course. The course teaches airline operations skills and expert knowledge about complex jet transport category operations in an airline environment. Training in the Boeing MD-90, a Level-D simulator with modern “glass-cockpit” displays, full-fidelity visual systems, and six-axis motion capabilities, is recognized by the FAA as jet aircraft time. CAPT cadets log at least 100 hours of flight time and gain experience in pilot-in-command and second-in-command positions while earning their DC-9 series FAR Part 61 type rating.

Hillary Breen, from northern Virginia, graduated from James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va. The daughter of a Navy pilot, she worked as a reservations and gate agent for United Airlines and a flight attendant for American Airlines before achieving her dream job: professional pilot.

Marcus Iammatteo, originally from Holmdel, N.J., was stationed at Kaneohe Marine Corps Base in Hawaii, where he was a helicopter mechanic. After his discharge, he earned a bachelor degree in professional aeronautics from Embry-Riddle and was completing a graduate degree in aeronautical science when he discovered the CAPT Program.

Britton Tabor, a native of Honolulu, Hawaii, was completing a master’s in theater at the University of North Carolina when the flying bug bit him. After completing the CAPT Program, he worked briefly as a flight instructor at Wilgrove Aviation in Charlotte, N.C., before being hired by Piedmont Airlines.

I like how they say it's recognized by the FAA as jet aircraft time. I thought Sim time was sim time and that's all.
Exactly how does flying the MD-90 sim really hel them learn to fly the DHC-8?

viper548 said:
I like how they say it's recognized by the FAA as jet aircraft time. I thought Sim time was sim time and that's all.
Exactly how does flying the MD-90 sim really hel them learn to fly the DHC-8?

How did any of the small single engine airplanes you've flown help you fly the citation?

Good news for the UND guys. This will give the old crustys at PDT someone else to dog on now!

:D

How did any of the small single engine airplanes you've flown help you fly the citation?Today 20:15

I think that fact that you cant freeze a real airplane makes a big difference. Your decision making is different knowing that there is no freeze button.

Full immersion program, DC-9 type, and $90k later, they end up in the right seat of a Dash 9 just like the rest of us. Nice going, CAPT. How did we ever get on with out you? Never mind that PDT has been hiring guys with 500TT anyway.

-Goose

The thing that baffles me about this article is how these people can afford it. All the ones listed had previous degrees (some multiple), and not very high paying jobs. I have one undergrad degree, a professional job, and there is NO WAY I could afford $90k. I swear I am doing something wrong here, I don't see where all this money that people have comes from...

Goose Egg said:
Full immersion program, DC-9 type, and $90k later, they end up in the right seat of a Dash 9 just like the rest of us. Nice going, CAPT. How did we ever get on with out you? Never mind that PDT has been hiring guys with 500TT anyway.

-Goose

That was my point.

Single engine airplanes didn't do much for helping to fly the Citation. Flying piston twins did. The Citation is very easy to fly, easier than a piston twin. I just dont see the point of doing jet training to fly a turboprop. At least in my opinion, jets are easier to fly than props.

Latest resources

Back