• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PCL New Chief Pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your shpeel sounds like every other pilot that has taken a Chief Pilot job. You are either very naieve or blowing smoke! They own you and you will not be doing the same job that you are doing. If they hired you, you may have done too good a job--they simply want to remove you from the process.

If people are scared, they have good reason. People think you have gone to the dark side--because you have gone to the dark side! You have sold your soul, pal, just hope they are paying you well to do it and that you can sleep at night.

Your fellow pilots will be nice to you because now they have to be nice. However, they will talk about you like you are a dog soon. Just curious, what was your motivation?

Truer words have not been spoken.

I have seen the same situation numerous times. The change will be gradual, you won't notice it at first. People will start to hate you after you discipline your first or second pilot for justifiable reasons.

You have new a master now, I wish you the best of luck.

And now Jon Young is serving coffee in Collierville and I'm laughing my a$$ off. It's funny how things can sometimes catch up to you.

I think Don is a great guy for the job, I just hope he doesn't get worn down.

You moving the family to the land of Elvis?

I'll sell u a big a$$ house in Lakeland. It's got a big porch that you can sit on, drink scotch ,smoke cigars and think about the little guy.

Good luck Don. And tell Clive he can stick his tounge in right up my "___"

Speedtape, you're way off base here. Don hasn't "gone to the dark side," even though I may joke with him by saying he has. ;) He'll only have gone to the dark side if he stoops to their level. I have faith that he'll do the right thing.

And redflyer65, thanks for reminding us all of what happened to Jon Young. It never gets old to hear of what happened to old "Knuckles." :)

"Knuckles". Now that's funny. I had to think about that one for a second.

I liked how back in the day he would buy ONE Jepp. database for the Saab KNS-80's. Only one problem, we had over 30 planes!! Funny stuff. Glad he got the can.

"losing a good guy to the other team" is certainly one way to look at it. another way is "we got one of our guys on the inside."

nothing says that you have to be an a$$ to be a CP or DO. being an a$$ is not a part of the job, its just the way some handle their position. their job is to run the company at that level. some people choose to be adversarial in that mission, others try to work with the group.

getting a guy in there that may be predisposed to being a good guy is better than the alternative. if you hire an a$$ into that position, you will certainly have one. at least this way you have a chance of having a good boss that tries to be fair and consider the pilots when he can.

i have had the pleasure of working for CP's and DO's who were decent and try to think of the pilots... it can be done. they cant always be your friend, sometimes they have their job to do...you have to understand that too.

when its time to get your winky whacked.. would you rather it be done by a friend with a ruler or a stadist stranger with a sledgehammer?

However, he is not the first great guy to take a Chief Pilot job, and certainly not the first ALPA volunteer.

Don IS the first ALPA member (not to mention ALPA volunteer) to ever grace the Chief Pilot's office at Pinnacle.

The nice thing about taking a managament job is that you can be back on the line just as fast as you came off of it. They cannot terminate your seniority number while you are acting in a capacity not related to your seniority number.

Don IS the first ALPA member (not to mention ALPA volunteer) to ever grace the Chief Pilot's office at Pinnacle.

The nice thing about taking a managament job is that you can be back on the line just as fast as you came off of it. They cannot terminate your seniority number while you are acting in a capacity not related to your seniority number.

Well, that did not last long. The Pinnacle Chief Pilot was terminated today; at least, that is what several sources are telling me. He was NOT returned to the line....he was flat out terminated. Have not heard the cause but it better be good.

Actually, you can be terminated if you are proven to be guilty of theft or something very, very serious.

Correction...They can terminate your employment but they can't make it stick.

Latest resources

Back