• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PBS Good or Bad?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You obviously don't understand the effects on staffing. It also depends on the company you work for. Our company has a new provision to reduce open time. The net effect is, if the #1 pilot bids a trip, and it needs that trip to fill another schedule, it can take it if needed. PBS is potentially the biggest QOL killer out there. Just realize that the way it operates is very dependent on your contract and how the company programs it.

You obviously don't understand where I'm coming from, thats ok. Thanks for the staffing lesson, I'll still take PBS myself though.

Last edited:
The system is great for bidding quickly, boy I use to hate going through all those pairing looking for commutability and such. And like someone said, if you need a specific day off, boom there you go. What I don't like about it is that it allows management to run the airline with the least amount of pilots possible. When that happens, the system shows every single day of the month as negitive reserve coverage and it wont allow you to trade your trips or even drop. That to me is the major drawback, it totally benifits the company at the expense of the pilots.

In a BALANCED situation, PBS can be almost the same as a pre-built line solution with the exception of the exact line you are going to get is unknown until you see it (enough of a problem for some people).

By BALANCED, I mean that the PBS system in use follows solid work rules and language that are part of the collective bargaining agreement at the carrier. It is neither more advantageous to either the pilot group or the airlines scheduling/manpower department. Of course, each sides definition of "more advantageous" will be different too.

If the scheduling rules and line build rules are solid, then the majority of overall PBS results will be better.

If the rules are crap, then the majority of the overall PBS results will be the same. THIS is the problem at CAL.
  1. The contract sucks.
  2. The language in the contract sucks.
  3. The scheduling section of the contract sucks.
  4. This is MAGNIFIED by PBS.
Therefore, PBS is not THE problem, but is a symptom of the problem. THE CONTRACT.

In a BALANCED situation, PBS can be almost the same as a pre-built line solution with the exception of the exact line you are going to get is unknown until you see it (enough of a problem for some people).

By BALANCED, I mean that the PBS system in use follows solid work rules and language that are part of the collective bargaining agreement at the carrier. It is neither more advantageous to either the pilot group or the airlines scheduling/manpower department. Of course, each sides definition of "more advantageous" will be different too.

If the scheduling rules and line build rules are solid, then the majority of overall PBS results will be better.

If the rules are crap, then the majority of the overall PBS results will be the same. THIS is the problem at CAL.
  1. The contract sucks.
  2. The language in the contract sucks.
  3. The scheduling section of the contract sucks.
  4. This is MAGNIFIED by PBS.
Therefore, PBS is not THE problem, but is a symptom of the problem. THE CONTRACT.

Exactly... same at nwa

So let's sum it up. In 35 posts there have been 6 Pro comments.

Don't much care for those odds.

Any further questions?

Gup

Any further questions?

Gup

Hate to go against the masses but, PBS at AWA has improved QOL, the key is a good program (Kronos Altitude PBS), training and knowing what you can hold.

I'm in the top 20% of the FO's and I get everything I want, I have used it all the way since reserve. I would seriously hate to go back to line bidding.

Most of the pilots I fly with here at DAL like the system. Like any, you have the learning curve where you can hose yourself, otherwise people seem to like it. I rarely hear people complain about it.

As for vacation, it depends on how you implement your system. I sit at about 80% on my airplane, plunked one of my weeks of vacation over memorial day and I have about 2 1/2 weeks off....same as I would be lucky to get with line-of-time bidding.

PBS is only as good as the work rules that encompass it. IOW it's a good deal if it's structured around excellent trip and duty rigs. It also helps if you have a trustworthy management, or a union that has a hand in the pairing construction.

Any further questions?

Gup

Gup,

I should have added to my post that I am VERY junior at CAL and got a VERY GOOD line for next month via PBS. Of course I had to buy a PBS trainer lunch to get the strategy! :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back