Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Paying thousands for a slim chance to get hired at SWA??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As I am expecting to be furloughed late this year or early next, I am investigating my job options and trying to plan (as best I can) for the future. Job opportunities are slim; however, the question I have is why so many of us are willing to pay thousands of dollars on a type rating just to get an interview at SWA which comes with about a 25-30% chance of getting hired? I admit I am considering it also, but I am torn between thinking that I don't want to miss any opportunity and thinking that I throwing my money away. I have heard so many stories of those not being hired and think it is ridiculous that we must pay for the rating and then proceed with less than a 50% chance of getting hired. Is it really worth it?

I hear that for a bit more money you can get a CRJ type at Regional Airline Academy, or go to Gulfstream and they GUARANTEE YOU an interview with an airline. You know, it's a bit more, but pretty much the same concept.

Aside the cost of a commercial-multi-instrument which last time I checked runs more then a 737 type.

What is funny about these debates is people think nothing of spending $20-100K to get their ratings for a $22K a year job. Then think it is nuts to pay $8k for a job which pays in excess of $100K fairly rapidly.

Well the funnier thing is that people pay 20-100K for a job that initially pays 22K, but you can make 100K after a few years, and other bozos that pay 8K for an Interview, or even worst 8K for just inc on their ticket b/c they never call.

Oh yeah, sorry about the furlough too. Invest 8K somewhere else. Or try to see if you can possibly get a job flying a citation or lear somewhere, even if you start as an FO. Fractionals.

"SW hires the attitude and trains the talent"

Of course, as long as your talent already has a 737 type. No type? then take your great attitude and talent and go pound some sand.

I have a bud who is a Capt with another major, and his cousin was hired at SWA a couple years back from the Navy. Apparently there is some type of good ole boy system around as this guy said he knew for a fact, a year prior to interviewing, he already had the job. Those are his words, not mine.

Why is it that so many are ready and willing to get the 737 Type to get the interview/or START TRAINING with Southwest? Are there no principles anymore? Since when did Pay For Training become an acceptable thing? And don't fool yourselves Southwest guys, because that's exactly what this is.

I can't think of one other reputable airline that requires a Type on the aircraft to be flown on the first day of training. I'm sick and tired of Southwest guys getting a Pass on this. I certainly wasn't required to have a 757/767 Type at my airline on the first day of training; and I make a LOT more than those guys at Southwest. Paying for Training just lowers the bar for ALL OF US.

I know I'll get a lot of retribution from Southwest guys about this, but I don't care. Ego doesn't obfuscate the truth. SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT.

If you're not RAISING the bar, you're LOWERING IT.

Don't forget: Just seven short years ago, Southwest was the red-headed stepchild of airline jobs. Their pay and benefits package SUCKED in comparison to the Legacies/Cargo.

Post 9/11, they had a very low operating cost. Duh! They didn't pay dikc compared to the legacies. To their credit, they had many brilliant corporate moves, to include fuel hedging, and the realization that if you can make the employees feel happy about dressing in Santa Claus' and elves' costumes on Christmas, they won't mind being paid sub-industry wages. (Personally, I'll take the extra millions over the lollipops and dressing like Santa Claus). Now, Southwest (among passenger airlines) has established the new "bar." Guys are cumming all over themselves to work there. Obviously guys don't remember the "bar" that was in place prior to 9/11.

Brilliant. It has worked for them. That, and the cherry picking and cannabilization of the National Airspace System.

You want my opinion? Save your money, and your pride. Save your industry. Don't prostitute yourself to Southwest. There are other reputable jobs out there that don't require you to sell yourself with Pay For Training. Don't lower the bar for yourself. Don't lower the bar for the rest of us.

Last edited:
Well, unless he's related to Herb, that's not true. Just a big dose of arrogance...

I have a bud who is a Capt with another major, and his cousin was hired at SWA a couple years back from the Navy. Apparently there is some type of good ole boy system around as this guy said he knew for a fact, a year prior to interviewing, he already had the job. Those are his words, not mine.

Type rating cost

A slightly beside the point comment, but you guys should be happy that you live in the US of A when it comes to buying a 737 type.

I work for a scandinavian 737 lcc and the prices for typeratings over here are insane. 18000 euros pluss 5000 euros for the required landings. Not to mention if you want to work for Ryanair. They have a special program that you have to attend (as a cadet) and the price is just under 30 000 euros.

It's a sad, sad thing, but like someone else mentioned, if it means that you'll be making 100 000 usd pluss within a year or two it might be worth it.

Why is it that so many are ready and willing to get the 737 Type to get the interview/or START TRAINING with Southwest? Are there no principles anymore? Since when did Pay For Training become an acceptable thing? And don't fool yourselves Southwest guys, because that's exactly what this is.

I can't think of one other reputable airline that requires a Type on the aircraft to be flown on the first day of training. I'm sick and tired of Southwest guys getting a Pass on this. I certainly wasn't required to have a 757/767 Type at my airline on the first day of training; and I make a LOT more than those guys at Southwest. Paying for Training just lowers the bar for ALL OF US.

I know I'll get a lot of retribution from Southwest guys about this, but I don't care. Ego doesn't obfuscate the truth. SOMEONE HAD TO SAY IT.

If you're not RAISING the bar, you're LOWERING IT.

Don't forget: Just seven short years ago, Southwest was the red-headed stepchild of airline jobs. Their pay and benefits package SUCKED in comparison to the Legacies/Cargo.

Post 9/11, they had a very low operating cost. Duh! They didn't pay dikc compared to the legacies. To their credit, they had many brilliant corporate moves, to include fuel hedging, and the realization that if you can make the employees feel happy about dressing in Santa Claus' and elves' costumes on Christmas, they won't mind being paid sub-industry wages. (Personally, I'll take the extra millions over the lollipops and dressing like Santa Claus). Now, Southwest (among passenger airlines) has established the new "bar." Guys are cumming all over themselves to work there. Obviously guys don't remember the "bar" that was in place prior to 9/11.

Brilliant. It has worked for them. That, and the cherry picking and cannabilization of the National Airspace System.

You want my opinion? Save your money, and your pride. Save your industry. Don't prostitute yourself to Southwest. There are other reputable jobs out there that don't require you to sell yourself with Pay For Training. Don't lower the bar for yourself. Don't lower the bar for the rest of us.

So who exactly do you work for big guy? Talk a bunch of crap now tell us who you work for.

Latest resources

Back