Paying for the 737 type??????????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MED said:
try PANAM in FL, they finance if you qualified.

Jeez, MED, I gotta recommend the Penalty Box for you until you change that dang avatar!:D

I used my lowest interest credit card and paid it off as fast as I could. I should have used a home equity loan or line of credit.

Another option is a 401k loan. This way you pay yourself back the interest (4%). Just make sure you pay yourself back asap.

If you think an airline is going to type an FO (even though it's the same ride) they don't.

Actually you are wrong...
Everyone who flys the 737 at CAL is typed. FOs and Capt. Thats how I got mine. Ofcourse I wasted 3+ years there...

Double,

I didn't know that about CAL. But as I think about it, yes they would have to because the overwater regs require both pilots be typed in a two-pilot aircraft and CAL flies their 73's to the islands, etc.

RVR 300

Not sure about which overwater regs you refer to, but at AA the 737
International flying only requires the captain to be typed.
Now if there were any trips long enough to require a relief pilot,
the FO would also have to be typed.

Maybe that's the one I'm thinking of. It's been a while, but when I flew for World we all had to by typed in the MD11. Come to think of it, we had a few FO's that weren't typed and they could not fly as IROs. I guess I'm mixing two regs into one. That was ten years ago, so I'm gonna claim indifference :)

But the point to my original post was to comment on the guy that said why not just get another job (hard to do) and get them to type you (which they probably won't) so you can apply to SWA.

If you want to do that, fine, but it's going to cost you probably five years which obviously would be time better spent on our seniority list than someone elses.

Pony Up

You can cry :-( baby about the rules until the cows come home, or just do what's necessary. Pony up--it's probably the best money you'll ever spend. Cheers.

One factor to consider...and I admit I'm ignorant about current pay rates at other than SWA...will your first- and second-year pay at SWA pay for the type when compared to the pay at another carrier? When I made my decision to get the type and go to SWA that was a factor. SWA would pay me more the first year than the competition's first-year pay plus the type rating, especially when the tax deduction was factored in.

Good luck! HPA did a fantastic job, and I consider my investment there the germ of a long-term relationship. They are a first-class outfit all the way.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back