• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Paying for the 737 type??????????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How can it not be PFT? You can't get the job unless you go get the type. Sure, some get it for free at other airlines or in the military, but how is it not PFT.

That said, it is money better spent than PFT at a reginoal airline if it gets you a job at SWA.

It's not PFT because you don't sign a training contract and are not penalized if you quit or get fired. The type is just a requirement. No different than x number of hours of PIC. FedEx requires a bachelors degree. Is that PFT too since you can't get in without it?

Sorry if you don't agree with the type requirement, but it's rather a moot point to debate it.

It is how it is.

Life is PFT

Hey Sleepy,

I see people getting upset all the time about PFT vs. Non PFT. Life is PFT. I paid over 55K on my Engineering degree. That was PFT. I made about 650 K during my engineeing career which more than paid for it. Just because some people get their college degrees paid by their parents, it doesn't mean it's not PFT. I have paid over 100 K during my flying career between type ratings, ratings, fuel, flight hours. It would have been great if my Dad would have paid for everything but not my luck, not even a penny. I wish I would have gotten a pilot slot in the military but my timing was bad. The point is nobody has offered to train me or give me simulator time for "free" yet, I am still looking. Have you received your training for free? If so, I am really jealous. Just ask yourself, is this an investment in my future I am willing to make or not. If it's not, move on there are other players out there besides staying where you are. Good luck with your decision.

P.S. I ran into a Cuban guy last week in Mexico who had just defected. Now, Cuba is a non-PFT country!. You don't pay for health insurance, food, housing and you can get any education you want. Of course you can sleep with the windows open, nobody dares to commit crime. "So, why did you defect?" answer "Freedom!". Like the freedom SWA has to demand what it wants from its future employees

Last edited:
I guess I just don't understand why they (SWA) want you to pay for a 737 type before they will hire you? You don't need the type to be an FO, they still have to pay to train you, you still have to do IOE, you still have to go through their upgrade course to be a Captain even if you have the type.

Look, I don't really care, because I can't afford the pay-cut to work there. I just don't see the logic behind it.

You only need it for hire not interview

Sleepy,
Southwest requires the type only if you are hired not to interview. I thought you knew that. Having said that, right now, the type rating makes you more competitive. Take care...

RVR300 said:
Double,

I didn't know that about CAL. But as I think about it, yes they would have to because the overwater regs require both pilots be typed in a two-pilot aircraft and CAL flies their 73's to the islands, etc.
Not true... I'm a 737 FO flying overwater, and I'm not typed. I would guess the requirement varies by each individual airline.

sleepy said:
I guess I just don't understand why they (SWA) want you to pay for a 737 type before they will hire you? You don't need the type to be an FO, they still have to pay to train you, you still have to do IOE, you still have to go through their upgrade course to be a Captain even if you have the type.

Look, I don't really care, because I can't afford the pay-cut to work there. I just don't see the logic behind it.
The Type was required in the old days because guys upgraded in 1-2 years and the insurance rates were lower if the guys came on board if they were typed already. Now since the orginal guys that "HAD" to buy the type ratings are running the show, do you think they want to get rid of the type requirement? Not to likely. Personally I think since it takes 6+ years to upgrade now and the time will increase as we grow that the type for insurance related reasons isnt valid anymore.

Actualy the upgrade at SWA was longer and had more simms and 2 extra lofts thrown in from when I was typed in the 737 at Midway Airlines in the late 80's. So there is really no reason to have it other than maybe showing commitment, being able to be upgradable ( I have seen professional FO's at my last job) and probably most importantly that every body else had to get one.

But this is just my opinion. YMMV

Not true... I'm a 737 FO flying overwater, and I'm not typed. I would guess the requirement varies by each individual airline.
Freight Dog,
I believe I was thinking about the IRO position. Since at my old airline the FO's served also as IRO's we had to be typed. I thought (I guess incorrectly) that two man aircraft over water required both guys to be typed.

Doesn't matter now, since the only international destination we go to now is a small mx station in Canada.

Kilroy and others:

I was fortunate enough to have the GI Bill pick up 60% of the type. I went to HPA and paid $7000 out of pocket and one month later received a check from the government for $4000. The folks at HPA took care of all the paperwork (thank God!). As a backup plan I spoke to a financial adviser and he recommended taking money out of my 401K. Since it was being used for educational purposes at an accredited school there is no tax penalty. I also spoke to my tax guy (Pilot Tax) and he confirmed all out of pocket expenses for a type rating (meals and lodging included) are a write off. I know it can seem a little overwhelming, but all in all it was a seemless experience.

Best of luck to all:

Dude

HPaul3 said:
will your first- and second-year pay at SWA pay for the type when compared to the pay at another carrier? .
easily

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back