Paying for the 737 type??????????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Other side of the Coin....

If YOU are really convinced that it will help achieve your goals, then go for it and consider the least painful way of doing it. However, keep in mind that there are NO guarantees, especially in aviation - either in hiring on with your "preferred" airline or continuity with your job. It is a gamble, make no mistake about that. But in the end, the decision is yours to make and live with and if it all works out, then great. But DO look at the downsides as well.

For what it's worth, here is my own personal experience and how it panned out for me:

I did not have a 737 type on my FAA ATP but did on another ICAO license as well as plenty of SIC time. Clearly, this did not help getting an interview with SWA, so I seriously considered doing a type on the FAA more than once. However, I was NOT convinced that getting the bit of paper would enhance my resume. Why would they want to interview/hire me just because I had the paper if the type on another license PLUS the experience would not get me through the door? Don't forget also that SWA has OTHER criteria for hiring like 1500 turbine PIC etc. So, unless you meet (preferably exceed) these, it does not matter if you are typed!!

So, I baulked and spent the money on a cheaper option and got all my FAA CFI ratings. I then got a job and carried on applying to various companies eventually getting a job as a 737 ground trainer before being laid off (again).

I then went overseas for a few years, got back into the saddle flying 737s internationally and getting a 737NG rating (again on a foreign ATP). When an opportunity came by to return home to the US and be based in my home town, I jumped at the chance, took a pay cut and spent 3 happy years flying a 757. As a FO I was typed by the company as I was part of the initial core of pilots. Just before I completed Capt upgrade, the airline tanked and I was back on the street. This time, with government assistance, I finally did my FAA B737 PIC Initial Type Rating on my FAA ATP and chose the 737NG as my equipment. This was to the tune of $14,000 and I aced the course in 14 days straight. But.....not a single interview in over 16 months of unemployment. So, be very careful, getting a rating is no guarantee you will even get an interview, let alone the job.

Finally, I gave up applying to SWA, not because of not having the type rating at the time but because I did not meet another of their requirements. One which I have have no control over, so it was a pointless excercise for me. I'll go as far as saying that 8 or 9 years ago I had an "unofficial" interview with one of their Captains on layover in my home town. This person also sat on their interview committee. I took the initiative to set up an informational meeting to see what, if anything, I could do to make myself competitive. The answer was - nothing. In fact, this Captain said that they also look for at personality traits such as motivation and enthusiam for the job/company. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would have scored 12 but......unless the company changed their hiring requirements, I would not be interviewed. They never have, so that was the end of that and I have moved on. Can I fly a 737? Of course I can, have proved it plenty of times, even in very similar operations.

In summary, I have never paid for any of my type ratings and even if I had, I'm not that sure it would have made a whole lot of difference. I might consider it under certain circumstances. But I would have to have a return on my investment, and for me, a maybe does not cut it anymore.

Just be sure to do your homework thoroughly and good luck whichever path you take. And yes, your training is tax deductible. Claim the whole amount and you will be allowed a certain percentage.

b757Driver........... you say there was one requirements you didn,t have and had no control what was it if you don,t mind me asking.??

To All:

I apologize, I posted bad information. It was an IRA that I was going to tap tax free, not my 401K(see above). Whoops and sorry for the confusion.

Dude

freight dog,

how long does it take you to fly from HNL to SD? do you lay over there when you get there?

CAL flies 5 hours to Bai from Guam and then five hours back in one flight day, this equals 10 hours, requiring the IRO which is typed and is an FO.

they did the same thing when the 757 was out in Guam for it's short time there the FO's were 757/767 typed, what a deal. when they flew the DC-10 to Bali, no worries, three crew rules and the FE was a pilot...

no slam, just what the others were trying to point out about having an IRO.

aloha

Originally Posted by HPaul3

will your first- and second-year pay at SWA pay for the type when compared to the pay at another carrier? .

TexaSWA said:

Thanks for the clarification/amplification, Texas.

Last edited:
Guam360 said:
freight dog,

how long does it take you to fly from HNL to SD? do you lay over there when you get there?
Actually, we're flying from OGG to SAN. Says 4:59 on the bid eastbound and 5:54 coming back westbound. Unfortunately, we don't lay over in SAN, we continue on to RNO, and that's our layover.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back