• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Paying for a Jumpseat!!??@!%&*

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First let me say that like the other posters I have nothing against airtran guys this isn't your doing. It sinks that its happening too you and it won't be long before it catches on somewhere else. The airlines are looking everywhere for $$. Read the papers they are charging for every little service on top of the ticket fare to make more cash, this is getting out of hand.

My suggestion would be to Airtran guys too hound and hound and hound management until they take it away ( and I'm sure you are) and if your are asked to pay just kindly say thanks but no thanks and use your alternate way to get to work or whatever.

Just like being limited to one JSer this policy was created by someone who isn't a pilot. Remember its our aircraft, we sign for it, we a responsible for it, we should say who rides and where and how - not some management dork who dosent know the front from the back of an airplane.

Again, friends, my post is not a slam on AirTran or the fine folks that work there.

As for my previous comments concerning the jumpseat coordinator, I stand by them. He had an AirTran ID and identified himself as the jumpseat coordinator. His words, in quotations within the earlier post, are verbatim. If he misrepresented himself, I am none the wiser. If someone wants to PM me and tell me the jumpseat coordinator's name to see if it dusts the cobwebs off my brain, go for it. No big deal.

But them's small beans in the big scheme of things....

The big point is that at least we are still able to fly non-rev on an ordinarily off-limits flight, and I appreciate that flexibility. Thanks again, AirTran. And come fly with us at B6 anytime.

I paid 10 bucks yesterday to ride on my own airline. I signed up for the jumpseat on a CAL flight. 10 minutes to go a CAL guy came and bumped me out. No big deal(even though he was kind of a prick about it) So I had to go buy a ticket for ten bucks. Gordons working together plan.

First the feds yanked off-line jumpseaters out of the cockpit. Next, FedEx/UPS/DHL can't reciprocate. Now this. Looks like that slippery slope is starting to tilt pretty steeply. I wouldn't be looking for any improvment anytime soon. In fact I predict it will get worse. Glad I don't commute anymore.

"Pilots having to pay to jumpseat.

Other pilots justifying this as ok.

Sad state of affairs."

Pilots are not paying for jumpseats! Pilots are given the opportunity to buy a non-rev ticket if the "jumpseat" is taken.

Why not force the company to model the jumpseat policy after Hawaiian Airlines? Sort of like USAirways is doing after the first of the year.. EVERY seat in the airplane is considered a jumpseat - FREE to ALL Part 121 pilots.. Isn't that what the jumpseat privileges were intended to be?

All this other $25 b.s. is just an excuse...

Like I said, if asked to pay, say thanks but nothanks and walk away. Done end of story.

Ok...does that mean you just don't go to work?

Nope, I'm not happy about AirTran's new policy. But do you think that by saying "no thanks" you will force them to change their policy?

And yep, I will always have an alternate way to work--unfortunately, that alternate plan also means I have to drive 35 miles to another airport with more flights. I'll weigh my options and take the best course of action.

And despite the new policy, at least there is a seat available if I feel like paying.

Latest resources

Back