Paying for a Jumpseat!!??@!%&*

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

I'm lost

This is a letter to anybody at Airtran that gives a flip. First of all, you guys are a great bunch of people, everyone has always been real cool. If it wasn't for Airtran I wouldn't get to work most of the time, and you guys are always welcome to jumpseat on my A/C, but what gives with the 25 dollar charge for hitching a ride if you're not the lucky guy who happened to be waiting at the counter first. Now I know that it is certainly not the pilots fault for this new policy, we all know that managment will try anything to make an extra buck, but this su@ks! Airtran has had a reputation as being very friendly to jumpseaters, "If we got seats, we'll take you," said one Captain, but now it seems as if Airtran is going the same way as just about every other airline.

The whole point of this is, if we as pilots don't say anything to our bosses when they start pulling crapp like this, before we know it Jumpseating for free is going to be a thing of the past man, mark my words! Anyway, this isn't meant to beat up on you guys at all, I guess I'm just a little miffed at the tran man.

Thanks for the ride, and you're welcome on my plane anytime!!! (and of course it's free);)

Anyone else wanting to gripe about the current state of the jumpseat in this industry feel free, I'm always open to a good debate.

Let me ask a question, would you rather Airtran have a policy like Delta, where once the one jumpseat is occupied, there will be no more jumpseaters, period? Or would you rather them have a policy where they will take some extra jumpseaters for a minimal charge? Look at it like this, you are paying 25 bucks for a non rev seat, which isn't so bad. I don't like the idea of paying for a jumpseat either, but given the choice between Airtrans policy and Deltas, give me the Airtran policy any day. $25 is well worth it to get to work on time.

micheal707767,

I agree with you that something is better than nothing, and Airtran certainly beats Delta in the jumpseat department, heck no telling how many times I've seen a Delta rig pull out with open seats without me being in one of them! Delta seems as if they are anti-jumpseater, the gate agents that is not the pilots. The point that I'm trying to make is that if nothing is said by us to managment when policies such as this are put into effect, that it is going to become more and more previlent. Commuting is bad enough as it is and this is just another nail in the coffin for the guy having to travel to get to work. The only way that we as pilots are going to be able to protect this privilage is by saying something about it instead of sitting back and watch it slowly eroded by management. The people in management that make these policies don't have to commute to work like us pilots, so do you think they really give a rip??? Heck no, but when their own pilots start coming to them and giving them heat about how this new policy hurts themselves when they are trying to commute on other airlines maybe somebody will think differently. Look how Delta pilots used to get treated when they would try to jumpseat on another airline.......

I am a Airtran 717 driver. First let me say thanks for the compliment about our employees it is always nice to hear. Next lets address the jumpseat issue. Most of the majors(as well as some of the regionals) have a policy 1 and only 1 jumpseater. We will still take as many people as we have open seats, which is more than some other airlines will do. Look at it this way, for the price of a rounds of beers you get to get home or to work. I myself have actually sat in the flight attendant jumpseat so a off-liner can get home. (full boat) 99% of the people at airtran will do what ever they can to get you on board. Does the 25 dollar thing stink, I think so but we don't make the policy. Our policy is still pretty liberal (I think). Good luck getting home or to work and hopefully someday the flightdeck j/s will open up again to releave some of these problems.

$$ jumseat $$$

First off let me say Airtran has a great bunch of pilots, I jumped on 'em 90% of the time when I was employeed and never had any sort of problem.

But, if the Airtran guys sit back and let management charge the jumpseaters $25 a leg, (which is $100 round trip, cause of the stop in ATL) other airlines are going to follow. You see Airtran is setting the standard, and that must be broken NOW before all the other guys follow in their foot steps. Before you know the Airtran guys are going to have to pay AA, DAL, NWA and so on just to travel to and from work.

It is not Airtan pilots at fault here, it is their management. It's almost like the PFT thing; one airline started it, and the next thing you know others folllow. Trust me, it's all about the mighty $$$$$.

that $100 adds up quick too! A lot of regional guys are making crappy wages and to pay $25 plus a $2.50 security fee per leg, really hurts the pocket book.

my .02

72Longhorn

Interesting meeting at LGA

First, a big THANKS to my AirTran bretheren for all of the rides I've received.

I too have traveled with AirTran frequently and find their pilots, flight attendants and res. agents to be some of the most friendly and courteous in the industry. They have never failed to treat me with respect and have tried to get me on their jet every time I've traveled. I appreciate that.

Yes, I too think that a $25 non-rev seat is better than no option at all. I just wish the old approach was still around.

As far as I know. we at JB are going to continue our policy of unlimited jumpseating for pilots and flight attendants alike. Our VP for Ops has mentioned it in terms of the Golden Rule--I only wish that others in the industry would think of it in a similar light.

I've heard that the pilots have filed a grievance over the issue. Here's a point of interest, however.

Traveling back home through LGA a couple of months ago, a fellow introduced himself at the AirTran gate as AT's jumpseat coordinator. Sorry, but I don't remember his name. He asked if I had to buy my ticket (I hadn't) and he was pleased. But, he said, the company had asked him if they ought to charge for additional seats above and beyond the normal seats allowed for a pilot and a flight attendant. He said that yes, that AirTran ought to charge because "it was good for the company" and he "didn't mind paying to get to work." He said that the company was probably going to implement this as a new policy. I didn't have time to get into a discussion about it--it wouldn't have made a difference anyway.

Hey, if that's the rationale, I'll deal with it. Again, I'd rather get to work than not get to work. I simply wish we as an industry would become more, rather than less, flexible with the jumpseating issue.

You guys are welcome to fly with us anytime, anywhere we can work it.

The first jumpseat is free. We (AT pilots) are asking our pilots to non-rev in order to free up the one free seat for any offline jumpers that might show up. Only jumpers after the first one are required to pay. And yes, we AT pilots are trying to get the policy changed.

A shout out to the Airtran boys

XGmaninGa, jackofdiamonds, and any other Airtran pilots.

Just to clearify, starting this thread was in no way meant to rip on the Tran or it's pilot's, heck I want to work there so bad I can't stand it. I just want everyone to realize what goes around comes around and if we as pilots set back and watch these things happen then we will all suffer in the long run.

Maybe I'll get lucky and Airtran might have a soft spot in their for a lowly Beech driver like me and I'll get to join the team, but until then I'll drag my bag down concourse C everyweek and be thankful that I can get a ride on Airtran 99% on the time. Thanks guys.........

:)

He said that yes, that AirTran ought to charge because "it was good for the company" and he "didn't mind paying to get to work."

Are you saying that the AirTran Jumpseat Coordinator thinks that this policy is good??? If this is true, he is going to have a lot of his fellow pilots very very mad at him. Not to mention all the other Jumpseat Coordinators in the industry.

I seriously doubt that a Jumpseat Coordinator would encourage a policy like this. Say it ain't so!

I don't think that the comment about our Jumpseat coordinator is all that accurate. He, along with the rest of us, is trying to change the JS policy back to the way it was in the past (i.e. unlimited for free). I think the rationalle was the option of a $25 charge for walk-up non rev's (after JS #1) -- or -- go to a Delta style JS of letting one JS on and leaving the others stranded.

Are we actively trying to change the policy?...yes.

Is it going to take time?....yes again.

All I can say is hang in there and thanks for your patience.

It's not the highlight of my trip to know that you paid $25 to ride in the back of my airplane, but its a heck of a lot better than watching you look back at us pushing away from the jetway.

Latest resources

Back