Pay up Corporate....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Traderd

Time to pay your share of using the NAS, at least according to the "big" guys.

http://thestreet.com/stocks/transportation/10261207.html

And it looks like the legacy types think you may have "stolen" some of their customers:

"The need for corporate jets to pay a bigger share is particularly pressing, Meenan says, because corporate jets carry a rapidly increasing share of business passengers and because those passengers are precisely the ones who would be most likely to purchase premium-priced tickets for business travel. "In general, these are our best customers," Meenan says."

Corporate should start paying for NAS when airlines start paying the same price for fuel as corporate.

CutEmUp said:
Corporate should start paying for NAS when airlines start paying the same price for fuel as corporate.

WELL put!!!!

CutEmUp said:

They would if they bought it in such a large bulk. Some corporate flight departments do get significant discounts based on buying fuel in large quantities if they have their own fuel farm, or if they purchase large amounts from one FBO. This has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Last edited:
Corporate aircraft operators do not get to buy government subsidises fuel as airlines do.

15%? It's more like 1%

From where I sit, of course, I hope we stay with the current system. Fuel tax, ticket tax and excise tax.

Charter customers pay a %15 of the cost of a charter as an excise tax.

I believe fractionals also pay that tax as the IRS and the FAA don't see eye to eye on what constitutes a "charter".

On the other hand, I can see limits on airports of operation for business jets. It feels strange to me to take up as much runway time at a congested major airline hub with my two pax in back as the airplanes around me with 100+ pax.

edit: not 15% rather 7.5%... I could have sworn it was 15 a few years ago anyway.

Last edited:
CutEmUp said:
Corporate aircraft operators do not get to buy government subsidises fuel as airlines do.

15%? It's more like 1%

The article says 15%. Did you not read it?

Yes.

Meenan works for who? The ATA. He probably has a reason to not like corporate aviation.

The terms by which the 15% is measured is not indicated.
In terms of operations, corporate aviation accounts for about 1% of all operations.

Sounds reasonable, as long as you accept *his* numbers.

I don't know what the real numbers are but bear in mind that this guy has a political agenda, and that agenda has a good chance of affecting hos his numbers are computed. It would be interesting to get a detailed accounting of how he calculates the amounts that the airlines vs corporate operators pay and the proportion of the airspace usage. I suspect that if the truth is known, there is plenty of spin that goes into the numbers he quotes.

Latest resources

Back