Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pay: Should Delta/United get raises or SWA pilots take a paycut?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DALPA scope doesn't allow for 90-seat airplanes to be outsourced.
F^ck me, they do too- putting 76-84 seats in it doesnt mean it's not a crj- 900

Putting 76 seats in a 757 wouldn't make it less of a mainline aircraft

I view that in a much different light than outsourcing, Dan- and that's nothing new-
Airline pilots get paid what they can negotiate at the time, in the case of outsourcing- instead of cutting back to deal with LCCs- senior alpa pilots allowed jets to be outsourced and let disenfranchised young or furloughed pilots take the cuts for them-
As for swa- there's never been a time when swa pilots didn't make good money- often they received stock in an growing airline (money magazines silver anniversary best stock of it's history) in leiu of pay rates- but they were still well paid and attracted excellent pilots from all areas of aviation-
But that's not my battle anyway- swa's been top of the heap since I've been here- and I'd like to see other airlines leapfrog us-
JMO

Last edited:
Spoken as a true ALPAnoid. You seem to be throwing in your desire for pattern based bargaining everywhere you go. ALPA has their whole schlep setup as this, and is how they expect contracts to go up.

Why can't you simply negotiate a contract for what you feel you are worth, and if it isn't enough vote it down? management has to figure out how to run the airline...not you. You figure how to fly it.

Alpa's obsession with pattern based bargaining, partially a cost saving measure for them I'm sure (only on the national side), but also a time saver, so they can bill the same but yet spend less time.

Get rid of the alpa think and come up with something new...

As for swa- there's never been a time when swa pilots didn't make good money- often they received stock in an growing airline (money magazines silver anniversary best stock of it's history) in leiu of pay rates- but they were still well paid and attracted excellent pilots from all areas of aviation-

That's complete BS. Where were you in the 80s? SWA payrates drug everyone down. And the fact that most of us are pensionless now is just as much SWA pilot's fault as RJs are DAL (or other legacies) pilots.

The quickest and most correct way for any group to "leapfrog" SWA at this point would be for the Metroplex to get involved and give the now suffering AMR (and the rest of the legacies) the same competitive advantage SWA enjoyed from two + decades of the Wright Amendment. It would probably scale out to something like, say, SWA has to leave Dallas, or maybe all of Texas, for about 25 years. I'm guessing you are not in favor of that?

But that's not my battle anyway- swa's been top of the heap since I've been here- and I'd like to see other airlines leapfrog us-
JMO

Wave - you really need to take a break from FI. There really was a time when FOs at major airlines made captain pay at Southwest. I used to work at one. I now work at Southwest. I will most likely be an FO until I retire. But it is all good. And it's ok to say that Southwest used to make way less than everyone else in lieu of stock options. And of course those are under water, so it's now a good thing SWAPA ensured pay raises. I hope you would agree.

Please stop banging heads with those guys. Would a one month "no SWA" on FI be too much to ask???

Wave, if dalpa owes the industry for screwing the pooch on scope, what does SWAPA owe the industry for flying at much lower wages than the competition and working much longer hours while accepting an inferior retirement in an effort to get their airline established for most of their existence?
Right wrong or indifferent it's the upstart airlines (including SWA) undercutting the legacies that led to the attacks on our profession.

Just saying..........

That's an interesting point. Many of the vehement "no scope" guys at SWA during our contract discussions actually got their PIC mins to get hired at Southwest as a result of weak scope restrictions at their previous airlines. At Delta, over 1,000 mainline pilots got furloughed while ASA and CMR grew exponentially.

So is that the answer - f*ck everyone, as long as I get my mine? Fair enough, but please don't any former regional guys toss out how hard their gig was compared to mainline pilots who got furloughed while they got their jobs and upgrades.

F^ck me, they do too- putting 76-84 seats in it doesnt mean it's not a crj- 900

Putting 76 seats in a 757 wouldn't make it less of a mainline aircraft

While I agree that CRJ-900s and EMB-170s should be mainline aircraft, that doesn't make 78 equal to 90. The fact is clear: DAL scope does not allow the outsourcing of 90-seat airplanes as you claimed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back