• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pay raise for Hawaiian Airlines CEO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you've got money, noone can stop you from making stupid moves.

I thought JO said that he wasn't gonna do all of the funding, so someone else has to be convinced?

The problem Mesa has to address is that Hawaii isn't an RJ market, it's a turboprop market. So FLyHi has a chance, apparantly they still don't have the funding. Mesa can talk story all they want, but if the ecomomics don't work out, who cares. CSM with no cargo to help or from a fee per departure from a partner does not break in Mesa's favor.

Lastly politics: Hawaii is like another country, Brenneman thought he could come in and steamroll a deal. There are many forces to overcome to get up and running in Hawaii. United couldn't do it either.

The reason that inter-island fares are high is because flying isn't "da bus". The airlines have a right to earn money and not lose for the many years they did. Look at the #'s, Inter-island isn't where the money in the Hawaii market is made, it is more of a service to the people of Hawaii, but you aren't forced to lose money to operate here.

Try to relocate to Hawaii on $20-$30K a year.

'nuff venting..............

Funny thing... if the merger went through, Brenneman was going to keep the coupons and cheap interisland travel for the kama'aina at least for a few years. Right after the merger fell apart, the prices went up, the coupons went away, and the rules changed to advance purchase/fees to change flights... LOVE IT! Serves the People's Republic of Hawaii right.

They wanted it - they got it!

I'm happy that at Hawaiian there is a CEO who knows how to price his product. The coupon business was a disaster for the airlines. But the coupon business died post 9-11 when the anti-trust exemption was allowed.

Notice that Mr. Burkle is credited for successfully turning around and merging companies. Up to this point it has always been grocery stores.

My friend will not confirm anything pertaining to the identity of her firm's client. She did say that the investor is still on track with their plan.

I sure hope you HAL guys are taking JO seriously. Now is not the time to sleep or think he will go away.

I hope HAL, AQ, and WP are all taking JO seriously. This is going to be bad for all 3 carrier's. All we can hope for is that management is eating their Wheaties, and getting ready for the war of 06. Besides that, what else can anyone do? I don't think that anyone is understimating JO.

In the future Aloha will not be flying interisland like they do today. To believe that the interisland market is one that is profitable and viable for an airline that has no plans to replace old 737-200's is rediculous. The flying will be done by someone else with the appropriate airplane.

And who will do the flying for them? Will it be WP, Mesa, Fly HI, or Hawaiian? Will it be through code share, or Aloha acquiring WP through their buy-back clause?

You guys have gotta admit, this is the most drama the airline industry in Hawaii has ever seen. HAL and AQ to merge, then break it off. HAL files Ch. 11 and has CEO removed, AQ sells WP (or did they?), AQ files Ch. 11, AQ and WP fight over whether the transaction was a sale or a lease, WP announces Q 400, then say's maybe next year, a new ATR 72 startup is announced, Football star buys AQ, now the regional with the worst reputation in the industry announces they are going to start interisland service with 50 seat RJ's.

BTW, what's the appropriate aircraft for interisland service?

Last edited:
Okay, who's going to the meeting? I won't be back yet, so I hope someone can give me an update.

mdanno,

I've decided I'm not going to the meeting, but I will send out a mass e-mail to the furloughees to get anyone who is going to send me notes on what is said. I'll summarize it and send it back out to everyone.

HAL

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back