• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pay raise for Hawaiian Airlines CEO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Loved Teddys quote!! tell him I said catch 2 and everything will be all right!

Ted was always one who I have tremendous respect for. Class act if there ever was one and probably one of the best examples I've ever seen as to how to be an ALPA Pilot. Just a great guy. I think what says it all... Ive never heard anyone say anything bad about him, he is respected by everyone. Tell him I said HI.

He and I spent a lot of time together in everything from Electra's, Dash 7's to DC-10's. We were probably the Ying and Yang of optimism/negativism at HAL. Two more opposite people you would be hard pressed to find when it came to our perception of Hawaiian. Yet we always repected our polar opposite viewpoints. Which Ive always been a big believer that my viewpoints are just that, mine. Reality is the combination of everyones.

Old fart story to follow: We were furloughed from Hawaiian when they sold the cargo operation in Macon. Half of Hawaiians pilots were furloughed and everyone said we would never be recalled. Hell, most of us thought the people in Hawaii could care less about us "Cargo guys". Well not Johnny Sunshine (even back than I got that name!). I thought, with deregulation, it was only a matter of time before Hawaiian would get long haul aircraft and fly beyond Hawaii. Everyone else was saying we would never get back, Hawaiian has MD-80's and will reduce the amount of pilots it needs inter-island, etc. etc. Well 2 1/2 years later we all got recalled. Here's were it get good. 6 months later I got a furlough letter! I was unhappily married at the time, Hawaiian was on shaky ground (1982) and I said F^* this, I'm going to an airline with a future! (PEOPLExpress). Opps! 2 years later I came back with my tail between my legs (180 numbers more junior) and nothing in my possesion but a few surfboards (but free of a very poor marriage and thankfully we never had kids, so it was easy). After I left Hawaiian, they went from planning to furlough me to a major expansion. My prediction came true but I wasn't there because I let a lousy marriage and a temporary situation cloud my judgement about Hawaiians future. Frankly it worked out great and my standard line is I would much rather have my present seniority and my present wife, than my old seniority and my old wife. Believe me, I wouldn't trade my present life for all the seniority in the world. I'm living proof that seniority doesn't equat to happiness. You have to make the best of were ever your at and everything works out. I know it's a terrible clique, but it is the journey not the destination. My story is to point out that anything can and will happen. None of us know what will happen, but I can say this, for the last 25 years, the doomsayers at Hawaiian have always been more wrong than right. Looking back, the down times have been just as valuable to me as the up times.
The fact is, your about 20 numbers out and we have about 40 retirements coming up over the next couple of years. Hawaiian has never been better run and they have never had the financial horsepower behind them that they now enjoy. They are very activly looking for GOOD oppurtunities to expand(the wet leases for ANA to Japan are still a possibility too). IMHO, the entire industry is just starting a major earthquake, we are just seeing the initial tremors. Hawaiian is very well positioned for what ever happens and Ranch knows what they are doing. My story is to point how quickly things can change, my advice is to make the family your highest priority, surfing second and don't give up your number! (and when your home come visit me in Pupukea and get some free Avocados!).

PS You asked about surf trips. took three quick ones to the east coast of Australia. Entered a couple of longboard events (Noosa festival of surf and Cresent Head). Australia ROCKS!!!! Point breaks, beach breaks and reef breaks everywere! The name spots are crowded, but there are numerous uncrowded quality waves. The people our awesome, my family loved it, Australia is heaven on earth for a surfer.
I keep hearing conflicting stories, but according to the station manager there, sometimes the loads are very heavy and sometimes very light, but we are making good money on belly freight when the loads are light. The flight may be twice as long as the west coast but the tickets average a lot more than twice as much. From what I hear we may be doing more down there (under).

Ted says hello to you, and hopes you're well. He has never had anything bad to say about you either. I know things are going to get better, and that sooner or later we will all be recalled, and believe me, I have no intention of giving up my number. I have just been worn down by the last few years, and can't wait to go back to a good job. It is really easy to move up in life, and really hard to get kicked down a few rungs. I hope everyone is doing well, (I can't believe Rojo. If there is anything any of us can do, please let us know) and the next time you here someone bitching about their job over there, you tell them how lucky they are. I can honestly tell you that they could be somewhere a lot worse. Take care, and I hope to see you on the line soon.

Last edited:
D.R., et.al.,

Thanks for the dose of optimism. However I'm in the same boat as mdanno, and doubt there will be much expansion for a long time.

I just looked over the retirement list and according to that, the next 40 retirements will be gone by January of 2009, which is a little more than 'a couple years'.

I know a lot of HA pilots have been furloughed over the years, but the vast majority have been for short periods of time. Even D.R. said of his furlough that "2 1/2 years later we all got recalled". It is coming up on 2 1/2 years for me, and I'm just a couple people from the top of the list (and mdanno is actually 50+ from the top). The bottom guys will be hitting 3 years in a few months. When was the last time that a quarter of the pilots were out on furlough and stayed there for 3+ years without recalls? That sense of optimism keeps fading every time I look at what HA is doing: No recalls, no expansion, no movement.

It is a good company and a great place to fly. I think we're all just wishing that they could capitalize on it and do what we know they can; become a world-class airline instead of sitting on their a$$es and waiting for the 'right moment'.

On a lighter note I was flying a LAS-BOS redeye last night, and somewhere over Chicago I was shocked to hear the "Hawaiian" callsign. I had to listen to the reply to be sure I wasn't just asleep and dreaming. It took a moment, then remembered that I saw the Raiders/Patriots game on TV before leaving LAS, and that must have been the Raiders charter returning. Sorry about the loss guys!

HAL

On a lighter note I was flying a LAS-BOS redeye last night, and somewhere over Chicago I was shocked to hear the "Hawaiian" callsign. I had to listen to the reply to be sure I wasn't just asleep and dreaming. It took a moment, then remembered that I saw the Raiders/Patriots game on TV before leaving LAS, and that must have been the Raiders charter returning. Sorry about the loss guys!

Hal That was flt 913 from PVD-OAK. Tough loss, but I like what I see from the offense. As far as the D goes-It might be a long year!!
We got KC on the 18th looking foward to a good game.

Well Aloha pilots are looking at some more serious concessions. Not only does their pay suck, the company is asking them for their pensions and work rules. The beatings never, ever end.

cantgivenomo said:
Well Aloha pilots are looking at some more serious concessions. Not only does their pay suck, the company is asking them for their pensions and work rules. The beatings never, ever end.

were you expecting anything different?

as they say...the beatings will continue until morale improves.

Hey Dan Roman or Erndogg, did HAL release the price they hedged their fuel at?

Non hedged fuel was a little over $2.00 a couple weeks ago, not sure if it spiked the same as car gas did over here.

Intersting article in the advertiser a fuel weeks ago. It said that last year the oil companies increased the profit margin on kerosene (jet fuel and home heating oil). If they had kept it at the same profit margin as the preveous year the airline industry would have been in the black. The amount of INCREASED profits on jet fuel was almost the exact same amount as the airline industries cumulative loss's. I guess it helps having everyone in the presidents cabinet having a connection to the oil industry.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back