Pay for training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skyline said:
Even if you don't wish to fly for an airline buying a type rating or twin to build time is the same thing.

PFT is paying for your training as a condition of employment, in essence, "buying" a job. "Buying" a type or twin is not the same because there is no job offer attached.

At any rate, I probably wouldn't buy a type either--if a company wants me to have a type, they can pay for it their danged selves. Aircraft ownership is a goal of mine, but I'd probably stick with the rag-and-tube taildragger or glassy engineless variety.

-Goose

Buying The Job

In the 60's the airlines would hire people and then pay for all their basic through advanced flight training. Compared to those times we all PFT. Besides in this competitive environment it takes a little edge to get ahead. I think SWA still requires a type as a condition of employment. I say that working for 18K is also a form of buying your job. In the end we all pay. It is much cheaper to pay with cash than with wasted years of your life.

Skyline.

Skyline said:
In the 60's the airlines would hire people and then pay for all their basic through advanced flight training. Compared to those times we all PFT.

Welcome to the 2000's. We've been expecting you.

Besides in this competitive environment it takes a little edge to get ahead. I think SWA still requires a type as a condition of employment.

Yes, but they don't require you to buy it from them--in fact, to my knowledge, you can't buy a type from SWA. That's the distinction. I mean, I see where you are coming from, it still is a large cash outlay to qualify for the job, but SWA is not PFT in the strict sense.

In any case, I don't have any desire to work for WN or a PFT outfit. Frankly, flying for an airline just isn't that important to me. If someone wants me to have a type, they can pay for it. I'm not paying for the privilege of earning money for someone else.

I say that working for 18K is also a form of buying your job. In the end we all pay. It is much cheaper to pay with cash than with wasted years of your life.

Who's working for $18K? I'm not. And I'm certainly not wasting my life.

-Goose

Last edited:
Logic and Fact ???

Goose, minitour,

Hey don't help yourself. I have known dozens of hard cases just like you. Why I was one. I always wanted to make it as honestly as possible and to take the most difficult path.
True heros of the sky right? You like doing things the hard way in an already heavily competitive market. I will see the both of you on the construction site someday.

Skyline

No job is worth paying for. Say what you want, but I don't see myself working in "construction" any time soon...but have fun at that. My brother in law loves it and makes a ton of money.

-mini

Pay

I suppose the flight school just gave you your licences? When the first real company decides to take a chance on you and they slide that big nasty training contract across the desk I hope you decline on principle.

An ego is an expensive luxury in this industry. Stay strong true believer.

Skyline

Skyline said:
I suppose the flight school just gave you your licences?
Aaaaaaaand did I get a job based on the fact that I paid for the training there? nnnnno...didn't think so.

Skyline said:
When the first real company decides to take a chance on you and they slide that big nasty training contract across the desk I hope you decline on principle.
I assume you mean if they slide a contract across the desk saying I do something like pay them for my initial/transition/upgrade/type? If so, then yeah...I'd walk. I'm not paying someone to work for them.

What is so hard to understand about this? When you get hired, they pay you...not the other way around. Doesn't that make sense to everyone? I'm amazed at the people in this world that don't understand that. I wish you the best of luck in your career...but we already know you won't need it, you'll just buy your luck. :rolleyes:

-mini

Hey

You are truely a tuff one. I don't know where you are planning to go in this field but we all pay in the end. I am just trying to save you some pain. Some folks are just in it for the money, others for the adventure and some for the self destruction.

I've got to turn in now. I would expten a "Good luck" to you, but I know you will not want it.

Skyline

Latest resources

Back