Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airpiraterob

LaForge Sayz:
theres officially not much pay for training out there, however some digging around reveals the pay for hotel deal. ACA will cost you 4 grand a month to stay in the hotel during training. i can understnad if thats your domicile, simply get an apartment as soon as possible. however, if its not your domicile in the end. youre screwed. with the time theyre suggesting it takes to train now, <being 7 weeks+ as told to me by a friend thats there now due to sim backups> i dont have 7 grand to drop , especially when im not working at that particular time. i dont have any parents that want to bankroll me. im trying to get out of a mediocre paying job as it is. i dont mind taking a pay cut to go work for a regional, but i cant pay a grand a week AND then take a pay cut. how will i pay off the credit card ill be putting all this on with a pay cut??

so, WHO OUT THERE PICKS UP YOUR HOTEL COSTS FOR TNG?

ramen only eats the lining off your stomach for so long. but at least peanut butter's half life is indeffinite.

(Sorry Mr. Interview guy, i'd loove to accept the class date, but ill have to stay another year where i am so i can afford to go to your ground-school.)
:eek:

I'm still new, but I think the word your looking for is "Crash Pad"....you know, where a bunch of the other people in training and you get an apartment, or even better you find an already established crash pad to live in.......I hear it can be as little as a couple of hundred a month.....I wouldn't worry too much about it, just check this stuff out I'm sure you can find something that will work with your budget.........

Last edited:
PSA picks up the tab for everything except food. You will get your monthly guarantee of 72 hours at 20.00 bucks an hour plus 1.45 perdiem for 24 hours as long as your training last's.

Although US Air's future is uncertain, PSA's training is easy on the wallet for the 5 weeks your in training. 3 weeks in Dayton and two in Dallas for the sim.

Airpiraterob,
How do you figure $7,000? $4,000/month? Maybe if you want to stay at the Ritz. A certain hotel in the DIA area can be had for $59/day. Hmmm, lets see. $59 x 7 days in a week x 7 weeks for training = $2891.
Now, cut that in half if you get a roommate. = $1445.50 I believe ACA pays $200 per week during training. Making your hotel stay cost you.........$45.50 for 7 weeks, if you get a roommate. Now, I agree, there are more important things to concern yourself with while in groundschool. However, Execjet doesn't pay your hotel during training, many companies don't. If you don't want to take the job, don't. There are plenty of people out there who can afford an extra $45.50 over 2 months. There's a lot of garbage out there you'll have to deal with at a regional. But equating this to dropping $10k on BE1900 training is a little irresponsible if you ask me. Any ACA employees, please correct me if my numbers are wrong.

I agree Bluto.
airpiraterob, why stay in a hotel? find a crash pad for 150-200/month. they are out there. live thriftely for a coule of months. good luck.

I think the point he is trying to make is that why should you have to pay for anything but food while you are in training. 200 a week what a deal. Man I couldn't wait to get on with a deal like that. That doesn't even pay for my house payment. Let alone grogercies for my wife and kids and utilities. Then you have to pay for a "crash pad" out of that. That's a bunch of crap. If the unions are so willing to help you out. Which I haven't seen yet. They would have in the contract the company has to provide housing during training and your montly min pay (ie. 72 hours) or what ever the min is for that airline. Because even after you get out of training and flying the line you still can't afford anything. The big strike at Comair didn't do nothing except get the pay to poverty instead of below proverty. Let's all celebrate that. They are buying the multi-million dollar jets but can't pay the people flying them squat. Wonder who's wallets getting fatter? The CEO maybe cause it isn't the pilots. :mad:

Does ASA pay for a place to stay while your in school?

Thanks

ASA puts you up at the Red Roof across the street from the HQ and FlightSafety and pays you you're guarantee of 75 hours/month while in training.

A regional F/O is an entry-level position.
A regional F/O gets entry-level pay.
Do they deserve more? YES.
Will they get more? NO.

In the past, You'd rarely see someone with a good amount of experience (more than 2000 hours) even waste their time with a regional for that reason. Nowadays, The pilot market is so saturated with pilots from failed cargo companies, Furloughs, corporate,etc.

The regional airlines are resuming their previous hiring practices which means the pilot pays for as much as the company can reasonably put on him. They do this, because they can!!! There is nothing that a contract can do for these new hires. The control belongs entirely with management. I've seen the airline I fly for go back and forth between making them pay, and not making them pay. It is frustrating knowing that the quality of our F/O is based on whether they had a large enough bank account to pay for their training. In many cases the pilots we get are so deeply in debt, because they did'nt have a rich family. They struggle just to pay for food. I wish someone had told them that paying your dues was'nt a literal term.

The blame cannot be put on management. It is entirely the Pilots fault. If nobody paid for company training,hotel,etc. we would'nt be having these problems. It all started when that first desperate pilots said,"Yes I'll absorb that cost". It snowballed to make an industrywide acceptable practice. There are so many pilots out there that PFT'd that nothing will be done to stop it now. The government could make it illegal, but for some reason they dont. The dept of labor could step in and outlaw the practice. All the pilot unions could step in and blacklist/boycott those who choose to do it, but they dont!!

If you can't tell I am a little frustrated with the whole pratice!! It takes jobs away from our fellow professional aviators who are out of work.

I know this is a question that is asked all the time but I cant seem to find any prior posts as to starting pay at ASA. And is that the same hourly amount guaranteed while in school?

Don't tell Mom I'm a Pilot, she thinks I play piano in a whorehouse.

Latest resources

Back