Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crashpad

"Why do you come to me?"
I just heard that when UAL goes to unlimited JSing in September that they will adopt a policy similar to Air Trans' 'pay for jumpseating', possibly at $30-40 per privilege. Anyone know if this is true?

Ygtbsm

I have never read that anywhere in any documents put out by the firm. Who told you that type of info? We have read though unlimited J/S will be turned on by 25Sep...

Welcome to all.

Birdman
BTV

Well if it's true there would certainly be nothing wrong with charging a UAL pilot $30 backs when he rides. Good way to earn some beer money! Does Air Tran really charge for the jumpseat?

Hey, for the record, I have no problem with AirTrans policy. I'll take a seat in the back for 20 or 30 bucks. Better than being left behind.

Paying to Jumpseat!

I would find this very hard to believe, however if it is true then all of us that commute to work will be in for a real shocker. Unlimited jumpseats, usually means unlimited, not unlimited for a price. The industry is truly in a state of panic and this would just be another simptom of a bigger problem. The airlines are barely hanging on by a thread. This is not the solution to a much bigger problem. If pilots cannot get to work, then airplanes will sit idle at the gate.

Infact, I think this might just be another attempt at flame bait. I guess I got hooked.

Mahalo

Floatplane said:
I would find this very hard to believe, however if it is true then all of us that commute to work will be in for a real shocker. Unlimited jumpseats, usually means unlimited, not unlimited for a price. The industry is truly in a state of panic and this would just be another simptom of a bigger problem. The airlines are barely hanging on by a thread. This is not the solution to a much bigger problem. If pilots cannot get to work, then airplanes will sit idle at the gate.

Infact, I think this might just be another attempt at flame bait. I guess I got hooked.

Mahalo

OR it could be the new paradigm in which, much like other jobs, you commute to work on your own dime. I don't agree, however, management wears the leather pants now.
You may just have to consider ponying up to commute or live in your domicile. BTW, if pilots cannot get to work, I doubt airplanes will sit idle for very long. Pilots will be the one's sitting idle.
Either way, don't be surprised.

Leather Pants?

miles otoole said:
OR it could be the new paradigm in which, much like other jobs, you commute to work on your own dime. I don't agree, however, management wears the leather pants now.
You may just have to consider ponying up to commute or live in your domicile. BTW, if pilots cannot get to work, I doubt airplanes will sit idle for very long. Pilots will be the one's sitting idle.
Either way, don't be surprised.

I have many friends in other jobs, that do quite a bit of traveling to work and for their work. It is not on their own dime. I fail to see the valididity in your argument that just because we are pilots and choose to commute to work it should be on our own dime.

As far as the leather pants go, it is usually the bi#&h that wears them not the master.

michael707767 said:
Hey, for the record, I have no problem with AirTrans policy. I'll take a seat in the back for 20 or 30 bucks. Better than being left behind.

This is not a flame towards Airtran. They have always treated me very well on their j/s. BTW if one carrier starts this crap then they all follow suit. The jumpseat should NEVER be something you purchase. It is a gentlemen's agreement between pilot groups of other airlines.

AirTran does not charge for jumpseating.

We allow one (or two on some 737 aircraft) jumpseater(s) on the aircraft. We also happen to allow 100 other airline pilots to buy a pass at the gate (along with gate agents, mechanics, and others from another carrier) if there are seats, but we do charge them if the gate agent remembers to do it. No, it's not as liberal a policy as Southwest, JetBlue, Alaska, Allegiant, ATA, America West, US Air, most Regionals, American, Delta (soon), United (soon) and many others. It is more liberal than NWA which still only allows 2 on all aircraft.

I would be happy to eliminate the $25 charge as my constituents have encouraged me to do, but it is not my decision. We are working on it though. I would be happy to let just about any staff sit in the seats provided pilots had priority to the cockpit and FA had priority to the extra one in the back.

Latest resources

Back