• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought only mesa pilots carried backpacks

There are pilots from all airlines that carry backpacks. Find a bigger fish to fry, or go and do something more important like following a soap opera or something.

I guess the anti gun nut has already been here...

Okay Mr. Emotional,
Nothing he said was anti gun or anti gun nut. They were simple facts. The guy was inattentive, and lost his gun, period. Quit living in denial.

Just using a little common sense would tell you that it is extremely unlikely that an FFDO will ever have to use their weapon to defend the aircraft. He is more likely to shoot his eye out.

Strike 2 for the FFDO program. This program needed to be canceled yesterday. Guns don't belong in the cockpit.

The FFDO program is only for Junior G-Man Rambo wannabe's that want an excuse to carry a badge and a gun.

Take your knee-jerk reactionary comments somewhere else.

(BTW; I am a gun owning supporter of the second amendment)

Last edited:
I guess the anti gun nut has already been here...

I'm not anti gun ownership. I've been in this biz long enough and flown with enough klondikes to know pilots, guns, and aircraft aren't a good mix...unless the aircraft was issued from the DoD.

I'm not positive, but I don't think a union would have a role in this one way or the other. Good question though.

The union would have no relevance to the Feds regarding FFDO actions, but if the company attempts to administer disciplinary action or termination...that's where the union could help. I believe that is how the dude who had the discharge on the flightdeck got his job back...

Last edited:
Like many of us everywhere, we have CWP permits for our normal life.. We are held to a higher standard in the eyes of the law... I can not believe that an FFDO would have any less of a standard... not blamming him, it sounds like he was doing as instructed by the TSA, however if this is the way the TSA requires him to carry his weapon.. I dont know what those rules are.. ( mod note.. I don't want to discuss them here either) I still believe that ANYONE that has permits to carry a weapon has a primary duty to always always have 100% control of that gun at ALL times... it is your responsibility....

in this case, if the TSA requires this mode of concealment, then the bag should NEVER leave his hand of back... JMHO as a gun owner...

Personally, I am with redmeat on this one.. I don't think a gun belongs on the flight deck.. pilots fly planes.. policemen ( Marshals) handle people as required...

Last edited:
Okay Mr. Emotional,
Nothing he said was anti gun or anti gun nut. They were simple facts. The guy was inattentive, and lost his gun, period. Quit living in denial.

Just using a little common sense would tell you that it is extremely unlikely that an FFDO will ever have to use their weapon to defend the aircraft. He is more likely to shoot his eye out.

Strike 2 for the FFDO program. This program needed to be canceled yesterday. Guns don't belong in the cockpit.

The FFDO program is only for Junior G-Man Rambo wannabe's that want an excuse to carry a badge and a gun.

Take your knee-jerk reactionary comments somewhere else.

1) It is also extremely unlikely that you would have a multitude of emergencies on today's modern aircraft. Yet, there exists the means to deal with them via procedures and aircraft back up systems. That is how we roll, as proactive Americans. You must hate that. It's just so...unilateral, eh?

2) His comment was no more emotional than the one that prompted it. In fact, it was a mirror image, which is apparent to those who are not infested with bias, such as yourself. Your post, on the other hand, was dripping with emotion. Pot, meet kettle.

3) I loved your brilliant use of the Christmas Story argument against firearm implementation!

4) Your statist posts are very consistent. Your logic would suggest that your advice to rape victims is "sit back and enjoy it!"

Last edited:
There are many in the program that acknowledge that the current carry procedures are "less than optimal". All law enforcement agencies state that the safest place for a gun is locked in a safe or on your person. Its the in-between where unintentional mishaps occur regardless of what agency you are with. All other LEO's carry on their person from the time they leave their house/hotel. Nevertheless, that is the current procedure and I expect the pilot to be held accountable. There are many managers in the program trying to get this changed. One interesting note: Percentage wise, the FFDO program has one of the lowest unintentional mishap rates of any other agency. They just get the most attention when they occur.

As a moderator here I must start send some warning notices out in general on this thread...

Lets NOT get off on a Tangent here.. lets stop the political posturing and allow open and honest feelings here.. No member should fear being attacked for his or her position on any matter in these forums..

If you want to go this direction, take to the non-aviation section.. if this thread continues to slide, then it will get moved there.

Mod out..

I am neither a Rambo wanna be or an agent wanna be, and never owned a gun. Personally, if TSA fails at screening and the FAMs fail, and the door fails, I want 37 opportunities to prevent the airplane from being used again as a WMD. Hopefully it will be a long uneventful career as an FFDO should I persue it.

That's why I am interested in the program and considering it.

If you are over 13, and carry a backpack, you need counseling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back