• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Passport Renewal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since I don't jumpseat I can't say what each carrier might ask for, but I don't believe a passport is required for CASS approval anymore.

I believe you are right.

A passport IS required for CASS, it dosent necessarily mean you have to show it to a gate agent but you will be kicked out of the CASS system if your passport is not current. When the agent pulls up your CASS info and your passport is expired it will say CASS not authorized with no other explanation. CASS uses your passport for ID purposes, some airlines like AMR and Alaska wont even let you sit in back if you are not CASS authorized, funny thing is a FA can....trust me its happened to me!

Another great reason to not deal with commuting if not absolutely needed. And a great way to avoid the lousy international overnights too!

cale42, since you're 4 months out, go with getting a second passport. It's really the way to go for a number of reasons....However, you are still going to have to surrender and renew your existing passport before you can get a second one, since you're within one year of its expiration.

In the event you are in a country and have to surrender your passport, having a second one that can be brought to you makes it relatively easy to sneak out of the country and get home or to a "friendlier" country.

It's also nice if you necessarily do not want the US state department knowing what countries you've been to...

Most of the time, "said" countries will simply stamp the blank white sheets of paper you have placed inside your passport, but you can't always count of that....so a second one can help out....

And lastly, in the event you need to send your current PP out to get a VISA.

Last edited:
I just went through this rodeo. First, there's a passport office in DEN, Aurora specifically, about 15 minutes from the airport straight down I-225.

Just go on Frontier's nonrev site, list for a CUN flight, an voila, an international itinerary. I showed that and they were happy. Took the stuff in person in on a Wednesday, it was available for pickup Friday.

Very easy way to go about this: Just use a color copy of your passport for CASS travel (as long as it isn't international). I wasn't about to jump through hoops for these people, and this was entirely acceptable to the gate agents I had while waiting for a new passport.

Since I don't jumpseat I can't say what each carrier might ask for, but I don't believe a passport is required for CASS approval anymore.

Not true. Everytime I have requested jumpseat I have always been asked for my passport, airman's certificate(s), medical and company ID. Standard policy. I commute to work and rely on CASS to jumpseat.

2 weeks!

Just had mine renewed and the whole process was 2 weeks. I thought it would take longer but it was fairly quick.

Latest resources

Back