Passport Renewal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cale42

I assume someone has to have run into this problem before. My passport expires in about 4 months. In going to renew it, I am told I have to surrender my current passport, and I will get a new one in 6 weeks. But according to CASS rules, I need my passport to jumpseat. This is a bad catch 22. So what have people done, is there a way around this. Or just hope you don't have to sit up front for 6 weeks??

thanks,cale

You can go to a passport service center and get it done same day. There are 7-8 spread across the country, Appointments are needed.

I can't tell you the last time I was asked for my passport when jumpseating, it's been months. Now the gate agents want to see my airman cert, and company ID, that's all.

The passport service centers will now only take appointments if you can show an itinerary for international travel originating in the next 14 days. So that option doesn't work.

Since I don't jumpseat I can't say what each carrier might ask for, but I don't believe a passport is required for CASS approval anymore.

Just had mine redone in June. Make an appointment at the passport office closest to you. Get a letter from your employer stating you need it for travel. It does not matter if you fly international or not. If your airline will write you a letter that you need it for work that is all you need. I Made an appointment in NYC passport office for 10 am and walked out the door at 1pm with new passport. A pain in the butt to take a day off to do it but there is no other option if you use the jumpseat on an offline carrrier. Pretty simple just google passport renewal and it tells you step by step how to make an appointment at the closest office.

Good luck

Yep. I agree. Just go to the Passport office with a letter from your company saying you are a flight crew member and a passport is required for your duties. I had mine done a couple months ago in Chicago same day. You get your old passport back with a hole punched through the cover.

I tried this in LA recently...no dice, the ********************ers refused to do it same day even with a letter stating that I had an international flight. They said I could come back the next day or they could mail it. I had child care issues the next day, so I paid all kind of expedite and overnight delivery fees. I got it in the mail ten days later, had to drop the international trip.

I would plan on spending the night in the passport office city just in case.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.. talked to our JS coordinator.. he said the company would write a letter and the Denver passport office will honor that.

cale

Latest resources

Back