• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Passing Simulator Interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A $400-600 Level D sim prep is WAY overkill for a RJ job...but if that relatively paltry sum gets you the brass ring major airline job you've always desired, isn't it a wise investment?

A Frasca 142 or similar is certainly better than nothing if basic attitude instrument flying needs brushed up...but I'd think a level C/D sim prep would be be cheap insurance against boning up a sim eval and always wondering "What if I had done prep..."

I was talking to an Interview captain the other day on a flight and I can tell you that at least here on ANA they are looking for other sings that are not only how you fly the sim. these individuals that do evaluations for the most part are very experienced instructors that have spent a good portion of their careers doing evaluations so they look at how you behave in the cockpit environment, how you interact with your PNF, how you handle the mistakes that you will inevitably make in the sim because you are nervous. You have to examine not only the flying part but also the personal aspect of your sim performance, what is the confidence level that you transmit to others? are your commands clear? do you talk to yourself during the exercises? you know, mumbling "I'll do this, then I'll do that" during the evaluation, did everyone in the sim understood the command you just gave? remember that sim evaluations are as much a performance for the guys behind you as it is you actually flying the sim. The advise on your basic flying skills is a good one, but have some professional evaluators review your personal behavior as well, so that you also transmit the "vibe" that evaluators are looking for.

Good luck

After what I've been through... I'm doing it all! MS flight sim coupled with Level D and the dang frasca! I never want to be the goose leaving the gaggle again. Not only does it crush your confidence, you've lost a job. Its a horrible feeling & its tough to pull out of once it's starts. Not knowing and thinking I could do it probably has cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars and buckets full of grief. I wish I realized this earlier. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone who is reading this... Its so important to know your limits and when its time to spend some cash to get the job done right the first time. Again, Thanks for your comments.

I was talking to an Interview captain the other day on a flight and I can tell you that at least here on ANA they are looking for other sings that are not only how you fly the sim. these individuals that do evaluations for the most part are very experienced instructors that have spent a good portion of their careers doing evaluations so they look at how you behave in the cockpit environment, how you interact with your PNF, how you handle the mistakes that you will inevitably make in the sim because you are nervous. You have to examine not only the flying part but also the personal aspect of your sim performance, what is the confidence level that you transmit to others? are your commands clear? do you talk to yourself during the exercises? you know, mumbling "I'll do this, then I'll do that" during the evaluation, did everyone in the sim understood the command you just gave? remember that sim evaluations are as much a performance for the guys behind you as it is you actually flying the sim. The advise on your basic flying skills is a good one, but have some professional evaluators review your personal behavior as well, so that you also transmit the "vibe" that evaluators are looking for.

Good luck

Great advice! Awesome. I think being confident in your skills and not fighting the sim will bring out the attributes you mention. Another important thing to focus on. Thanks!

Hmmm, 14 posts in this string, and it bears little resemblance to the flightinfo.com we all know and love . . . OK, I'll go first:

1) Spikey-haired, frosted-tipped, Ipod-and-backpack-wearing Pilots aren't worth their Doc Martens. (Discuss)

2) Conservative-Obsessed Captains should have been aborted.

3) Hat Police versus RJDC

4) My airline can beat up your airline

5) Boeing versus Airbus- Which would Jesus fly?

:laugh: :laugh:

Hmmm, 14 posts in this string, and it bears little resemblance to the flightinfo.com we all know and love . . . OK, I'll go first:

1) Spikey-haired, frosted-tipped, Ipod-and-backpack-wearing Pilots aren't worth their Doc Martens. (Discuss)

2) Conservative-Obsessed Captains should have been aborted.

3) Hat Police versus RJDC

4) My airline can beat up your airline

5) Boeing versus Airbus- Which would Jesus fly?

You almost forgot:

MESA SUCKS!

The thread is all your girls, we accomplished what we were after... Have fun!

Now, how can we turn this into a WN thread... Or are we sick of talking about um?

Cheers

I had the same problem a few years ago. Missed out on 3 jobs. I took the advice of renting out the local Frasca and work on basic instrument flying. Well, I am now 4 for 4 with job offers and feel better personally about my flying competency.

I had the same problem a few years ago. Missed out on 3 jobs. I took the advice of renting out the local Frasca and work on basic instrument flying. Well, I am now 4 for 4 with job offers and feel better personally about my flying competency.

Nice work! Glad that to hear that worked. I'm looking forward to getting this rolling. Thanks

Latest resources

Back