• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Part Time Pilots, Yay or Nay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think you get it...once we allow part-time to be an acceptable pilot category, then management will have sole discretion as to how many positions are available in each category (just like they now tell you how many positions are available for each aircraft at your company). Before you know it, the majority of pilot positions will be part-time.

This is all about setting PRECEDENT. Just look at every other industry in the country to see how part-time work is being abused. It's coming to the pilot industry, if you let it.

Ok. Theyve had part time FAs for years. By your "logic" all FAs would have to start part time and part time would be the majority. But of course we know that's not the case Sorry, but you're full of crap.

Ok. Theyve had part time FAs for years. By your "logic" all FAs would have to start part time and part time would be the majority. But of course we know that's not the case Sorry, but you're full of crap.

It is an undisputed fact that part-time worker "abuse" is rampant in many other industries outside of aviation. I personally have a brother-in-law AND a sister-in-law who once were full-time workers (one blue-collar, one middle-management white collar), but both were forced into mandatory part-time positions (doing the same job) with no benefits, with more work than they can handle. If you think this can't happen to us, you are naive. Just because something hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it isn't necessarily a significant threat.

I consider myself part time now as it is. With the two weeks of vacation that can be turned into 6-7 weeks off, 4 sick calls a year of at least two weeks each, and a month or two of coma a year makes for not alot of work....and not alot of pay, but thats my choice.

A wife that makes descent money, living below your means, and taking lots of time off is the only way Ive been able to stay somewhat happy with my job, however sad that may be.

I would have jumped at it. I was getting severly burnt out with the years of reserve. I don't take the company medical benefits (frankly I don't even bother to use what's left of the travel benefits) I could afford to take the pay hit every few months to keep my sanity. I asked several times about it, or even taking a leave for a month and was always told no, we are too short staffed (yet plenty staffed to have ready reserve every day)

Sorry, but by your "logic" there's no difference between fa's and pilots. Sure, they've had part time fa's for years, but there is a little difference in our roles and expense to the company don't you think?

Remember, every thing we allow has consequences. Remember what happened with mainline airlines when they let scope out of the bag for a bit more money? At the time, I'm sure it seemed like a great idea, getting a nice raise can only help right? No way a company could possibly find a way to use something like that against me right?

Be careful what you agree to, it can and will be used against you by your company.

Latest resources

Back