• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Part Time Pilots, Yay or Nay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So you still have to work 10 days a month for half pay and no bennies? No thanks, I'll work 11-12 days and keep everything.

No doubt. Anybody who is forfeiting funding their 401K better be really sure that sugar train their riding on has solid tracks. As for buying your own health insurance, have fun with that one!

I notice several of you mentioned guys several times in your posts. It's not really guys with sugar mommas (rare) who will benefits from this, but rather girls with a hubby who makes more money and has better benefits. Especially if she has kids or wants to. I think part time would be fab, and all my flight attendant friends who bid it love it. I've never heard anyone being forced into it and it usually goes pretty senior.

But I'm opposed without some insanely airtight limitations on what the company can do with it.
Even airtight limitations open the door to the concept. Right now part-time work is not considered appropriate in the piloting profession. But if one or more significant airlines start up the practice, then it opens the door in ALL airline negotiations for management to push for the practice, as it becomes more and more industry-standard. Before you know it you're giving up pay raises in order to fight off mandatory part-time positions, which become more and more numerous. Eventually everyone is working part-time and we're working for Wal-Mart Airlines.

Part-time could be very nice, but I need the health insurance and 401k, plus the ability to return to full-time. Perhaps offer a health plan w/o maternity/contraception bennies for those of us without that need.

Perhaps offer a health plan w/o maternity/contraception bennies for those of us without that need.

Seriously? Talk about a bad precedent! I think most of us have a need for one or both of those! Or at least the first if you don't have the second covered! ;)

Even airtight limitations open the door to the concept. Right now part-time work is not considered appropriate in the piloting profession. But if one or more significant airlines start up the practice, then it opens the door in ALL airline negotiations for management to push for the practice, as it becomes more and more industry-standard. Before you know it you're giving up pay raises in order to fight off mandatory part-time positions, which become more and more numerous. Eventually everyone is working part-time and we're working for Wal-Mart Airlines.

I'm with you, better safe than sorry.

Part-time could be very nice, but I need the health insurance and 401k, plus the ability to return to full-time.

I don't think you get it...once we allow part-time to be an acceptable pilot category, then management will have sole discretion as to how many positions are available in each category (just like they now tell you how many positions are available for each aircraft at your company). Before you know it, the majority of pilot positions will be part-time.

This is all about setting PRECEDENT. Just look at every other industry in the country to see how part-time work is being abused. It's coming to the pilot industry, if you let it.

CC wants to find a way to manage the swings in pilot numbers - being overstaffed at certain times and under staffed at others. He has asked about the idea and it is being looked at. Part time pilots and/or VLAs in 1, 2 and 3 month blocks. He thinks this would be preferable to furloughs. FWIW

Latest resources

Back