Part 91 Checklists

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
When you build a checklist, make it a check list not a to do list.

Can I get an "AMEN!". Nothing scares me more while instructing than a student, head down, doing a "before landing checklist" on short final.

I feel so bad for instructors that flew with me before I realized it was called a "check list" not "see and do list".

Regarding your own checklists. No regs, so...whatever you like really. Just cover the AFM/POH. And make your own...I like that idea better than a "ready made" checklist. While there's a company out there that makes super checklists, I still wish my student had made his own. Get's you in the POH and learning about the plane before you get into it.

JMHO

-mini

Thanks for the info. The manufacturer's checklist is extremely long and painful. I am trying to clean it up and make it more user friendly. I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a CFR out there that I didn't see that would get me in a sling. We definitely do a "flow" concept similar to airlines and back ourselves up with the checklists. We are particularly trying to get rid of the "how to" lines mentioned by KeroseneSnorter.

Recently re-did the LR60 checklist for our company, Mostly used the Flight Safety provided checklist and customized a few areas to meet our SOPs. The "how-to" items definatley have to go. Most expanded prodecures are related to the first flight checks and hopefully were comitted to memory during initial training. Besdies you always have a copy of them in the AFM if a question should arise. OK, starting to ramble so, Our new checklist fits on a standard 8.5 x 11 piece of card stock(, front and back, big type for those with bi-focals, j/k!!. Talked to the local FSDO about the approval process and was politely told that they really dont have time for that stuff because of low staffing. Just my 2 cents. Hope it Hepls

minitour said:
Can I get an "AMEN!". Nothing scares me more while instructing than a student, head down, doing a "before landing checklist" on short final.
:D I do a bit of a song and dance with my students at the beginning explaining the three ways checklists are used ("see and do", "do and check" and "brief and do") and that while they will tend to start out with "see and do" for many tasks, as they gain experience, many of these will become one of the other two.

But, I explain, there are checklists that are "brief and do" even from the very beginning. You don't get on the runway, put the throttle full forward, start rolling along and =then= look down to see when you rotate.

midlifeflyer said:
:D ...put the throttle full forward...

haha...funny this should come up...I've got a few students that neglect this part of the checklist. My favorite line has become, "Are we going to use full power or do you want to use all 8,000' today?". :rolleyes:

-mini

minitour said:
haha...funny this should come up...I've got a few students that neglect this part of the checklist. My favorite line has become, "Are we going to use full power or do you want to use all 8,000' today?". :rolleyes:

-mini

You could respond by telling them that you are only planning on using 77% power.

If they are confused you should tell them to study the POH more :)

Haha I'll keep that one on the tip of my tongue...

maybe they just don't wanna overtorque the mighty 172's super-powerful O-320...:confused:

-mini

The problem with most GA checklists is that they are more of a "How to fly the 172 for Dummies" than they are a true checklist.

One of our instructors once made a light twin checklist longer than flighsafety's King Air checklist. It was unbearable.

Checklists need to contain items that will kill you or damage the aircraft, and anything else that improves operational efficiency, without cluttering the above two items.

If you put too many items on a checklist, people will tend to miss the important ones or get halfway done, drop the gear and forget to finish the rest.

Sometimes the culprit is a nerdy CFI who is in LOVE with the idea of airline-style operations and makes a monster checklist that ends up generating .4 of taxi time minimum.

NEVER put airmanship items on a checklist. For example: Brakes - apply.
or: When landing is assured - power to idle.

If you need a checklists to tell you that, you don't need a checklist, you need dual.

100LL... Again! said:
Sometimes the culprit is a nerdy CFI who is in LOVE with the idea of airline-style operations and makes a monster checklist that ends up generating .4 of taxi time minimum.

HA! Reminds me of my first flight in a multi (duchess). We got .5(!) runup time just because the freakin checklist was so long. What added to the problem was that it was dark and the checklist was very cluttered. Also, the instructor was very adamant that every single equipment on board should be thouroughly checked (its a duchess, half the equipment DOESN'T work :)) I guess i don't have to point out that i didn't return for a second flight.

Latest resources

Back