Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

volunteer

Saturdays in the fall.
I am in the process of re-writing our checklist. I could not find anything in the CFR's that specifies any requirements for checklists in the Part 91 world. Does anyone know of any specifics that are required to be included on checklists and/or the CFR where I can find them? Thanks!

volunteer said:
I am in the process of re-writing our checklist. I could not find anything in the CFR's that specifies any requirements for checklists in the Part 91 world. Does anyone know of any specifics that are required to be included on checklists and/or the CFR where I can find them? Thanks!
Part 91 checklists do not have to be approved like 135 and 121 checklists. Just make sure they at least cover everything in the AFM and you'll be good to go.

When I create checklists for new airplanes I'm flying/instructing in I always start out with going thru the POH and including every item listed in it's appropriate place. From there then I add what else needs to be added, and re-order them in a more efficient manner.

No regs saying how you should or shouldn't do them.

volunteer said:

No regs. I would make sure all items on the factory checklist are included. More of a CYA move in case something happens(Lawyers love folks who try to be original...makes it easy for them to win!! :) ). Add anything else that may be company specific but keep all the original items.

Once you get rid of all the extra stuff in a factory list that does not pertain to your airplane, and remove the expanded "how to" lines, the factory list can normally be broken down to one page front and back for the normals. I always kept the factory QRH's though (emerg action).

I don't believe there is a reg specifying you need a checklist, but i do know that DPE's are required to test the applicant on the proper use of checklists.

So......

As for a proper checklist - its always as the AFM/POH specifies and then additional items you feel like checking.

KigAir said:
Why not use a ready made checklist? They only cost a few bucks and are very comprehensive.
Personal or organizational checklists usually account for local perferred operating procedures or known problem areas that are not necessarily covered by some general checklist writer.

When you build a checklist, make it a check list not a to do list. I have seen C-172 checklists longer than our DC-9 checklist. Such things as VSI - checked, HSI Checked, ADI - Checked, Airspeed indicator checked, etc. as opposed to Flt Insts - 230 degrees, Checked

Latest resources

Back