Part 91 and supplement with 135

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mobie said:
The lease to a buddy is very close to 135 it could very well bite you.
Mobie
Very true. Having an experienced attorney draw up the contract can make all the difference between PT134.5 and a legitimate dry-lease arrangement.

it sounds to me like you do not already possess a 135 Certificate?

If this is the case, how are you providing work for Sentient?

Even with a (dormant) certificate that they purchased some years ago, you cannot engage another operator in a "wet Lease" unless that operator holds their own Air Carrier Certificate.

Sentient is a scam. And any broker passing themselves off as a "Certificated Operator" is a thief. There is nowhere in 135 that authorizes exercise of operational control over "SOMEONE ELSE'S" aircraft. Those that are doing it are no better than PFT or some lame-o riding shotgun (for free) in an aircraft type certificated for "TWO" pilots.

100-1/2

100-1/2 said:
it sounds to me like you do not already possess a 135 Certificate?

If this is the case, how are you providing work for Sentient?

There is nowhere in 135 that authorizes exercise of operational control over "SOMEONE ELSE'S" aircraft. Those that are doing it are no better than PFT or some lame-o riding shotgun (for free) in an aircraft type certificated for "TWO" pilots.

100-1/2

Settle down. At my CURRENT job, we are a 135 operator. We work with Sentient, and they treat us VERY well. We have operational control over EVERY flight we operate for Sentient. The owner in the above situation is a potential buyer, he doesn't own the airplane yet, and is a potential employer for me.

Mobie, it could turn out they become partners in the airplane, equal owners. If it comes down to a lease agreement, they will involve an attorney and make everything legal.

Contrails, he owns a turboprop right now, but is looking at upgrading to a jet. The airlines aren't an option either. The turboprop fits his mission fine right now, he would like to get into a Citation of some sort.

If he really just wants to put time on the airplane why not send it out to potential clients, current clients or whatever? I'm not sure if this gets into the area of 135 or not because I'm not up to date on the exact regs but maybe that might work as a perk for being a customer of his or to schmooze potential new business. Just a thought.

First of all there are some tax advantages to having the aircraft on a charter certificate. Plus some certification advantages. For a jet the maintenance requirements don't change. Certification advantages are RVSM, MNPS, NATS CEPAC, NORPAC, etc. Our aircraft is on a certificate and we average about one trip a year. Our boss charges extra top dollar and the operator only uses us as a last resort.

Also tell your future boss, that based on other operators' history, they tend to find all sorts of extra trips and uses for the aircraft. I flew for one owner that stated very clearly that we wouldn't fly over 500 hrs/yr. First year was 970 hours.

Doing extra flying can be a pain in the a$$, but depending on the trips can also be interesting if not fun.

Freight Dog said:
Excellent advice! Not having this clause in your WRITTEN agreement with the owner should be a deal breaker.

Speaking from experience......

Wish I'd thought about it BEFORE I signed up a few years ago. Oh well, live and learn!!!!! I have bigger issues with these guys now anyway. Anyone in this industry had three vacations cancelled in one year???????

Clap,

The background to your question does not commensurate with the type ratings and 4000+ hours of flight time and lacks relevant detail as poiniently addressed along with the command worthy of my 4 year old to open your responding post.

With all this experience, why then would it not occur to you to position yourself into a "management" role over the (BOTH current and future) aircraft whereby you contract with your CURRENT 135 employer to operate the current and future aircraft for your new boss. Your New boss pays a flat monthly fee for his current and future aircraft to be on your Old Boss' Certificate. You take a cut of the management fee, a fixed salary from your new boss and bonuses for extra flying for your old company who compensates your new boss at an hourly rate plus surcharges for excessive use.

Well, there you go. Pissed me off and i practically started a company for you. Enjoy it while it lasts. It is a delicate ballet of dipomacy I doubt you can sustain, given your personality in this and other threads i have seen you post.

100-1/2

SheGaveMeClap said:
Do any of you guys out there use your airplane on a 135 certificate to supplement your 91 flying?

Here's my theory. An owner buys an airplane and flys it 100-150 hours per year. They want to put more hours on it in a year, but they don't have the need to fly anymore, so they decide to fly it 8-10 hours per month Part 135.

In my current job, we do alot of Sentient trips. They treat us well and we have a great relationship with them. If the owner above buys an airplane, does Sentient have a Part 135 certificate you could put the airplane on and fly for them 3 or 4 days per month to get that additional 8-10 hours of flying per month?

I think in the next 3-5 years, the said owner would utilize the airplane 200-250 hours per year and not have to worry about the additional Part 135 flying, but in the meantime it might be convenient.

Any ideas?

Well, say good buy to your personal life chump. Unless you set some ground rules from the beginning like some of these guys said. Then you are in for a surprise. You wont realy off set much costs. The owner will ask for 10 then that wont be enough. Some months might be very slow, so you'll have to stay available as much as you can. My last job we did about 25 to 30 hours (well we tried) and flew the owner only like 5 hours in a month. i remember two months we didnt see him at all. So it was all charter. One of those months we only flew like 18 hours and had only one day off. Why? b/c we had to keep the airplane available for charter. I personally could've not given two sh*ts about it, my attitude was well, even if we did 20 or 30 hours of charter the owner was never really happy anyways. But unless your flying partner feels the same way you do, then you wont have any real days off and you are at the mercy of the pager/cell phone. Good luck chump

Latest resources

Back