• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Part 135 to major....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ditto on what starchkr said!! Glass is a lot easier to fly than steam guages anyday. When is the last time you flew a DME arc in Mexico raw data???? I'm guessing never. We do everything raw data and without autopilots at my company.

dojetdriver...We freight dawgs tend to stick together...were like the mafia of aviation. Disrespect one we all take a shot at ya. I definately was a much better pilot flying 135 on demand cargo in a old beat up Lear Jet. We would fly all night after being up all day, go to unfamliar airports in forgien countries and shoot approaches to mins all on steam gauges. I don't know how many times I went into Mexico, or some other Central America Country shooting an approach to an airport I had never been...by the way usually had a good twenty minutes to analyze the approach an situation. Now flying "121" my hand is held like a baby, dispatchers do all of the work, we never fly to an airport that hasn't been evaluated by check airman, and flown into by chk airman. I will never be as proficent as a I was flying the Lear,....but Brown pays better :)

I am not putting anyone down....but....Freight Dawg is right....the best pilots (stick and rudder, on the spot decision making, and outright problem solving) are pt 135 on demand freight pilots. There are very few people in this world who can stomach some of the things I had to deal with in my 4+ years. To make it you have to think outside the box. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to have those experiences. BUT>....having said that...I wouldn't go back to that life.

Everything he said is dead on accurate...going to an unfamiliar mountainous place at 3am with 4 MELs and a co-pilot that was flying 172's a month ago is the norm....not the exception.

Last edited:
I am not putting anyone down....but....Freight Dawg is right....the best pilots (stick and rudder, on the spot decision making, and outright problem solving) are pt 135 on demand freight pilots. There are very few people in this world who can stomach some of the things I had to deal with in my 4+ years. To make it you have to think outside the box. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to have those experiences. BUT>....having said that...I wouldn't go back to that life.

Everything he said is dead on accurate...going to an unfamiliar mountainous place at 3am with 4 MELs and a co-pilot that was flying 172's a month ago is the norm....not the exception.

I agree 100%. I saw 95% of any of the emergency items in the QRH in the Learjet when I flew 135 boxes. Rapid D...check, enigne failures...check, multiple times multiple MEL items...check having to fly from Denver to the East Coast with no press at 10000 feet...check False fire indications that scared the $hisnit out of me...check, a crap load of time with a quick upgrade.....check.

It sucked to watch my sim partner who was flying steam guages for the first time since a -172 in a 737-300 sim after flying an RJ for a bunch of years. I felt bad because he/she had no SA on where he/she was. At the same time, it was refreshing that all I did before came back in a flash. I guess each way gets you to where you want to be so I think it is a crap shoot. It is all about timing. Did I think I would be where I am at in my 20s...I hoped but never thought it would come true.

Yes you are a pu$$y. Try flying on-demand freight, you would actually deserve the hair on your gonads. Try 20-min callout wheels up in an hour of being called, and having to fly to anywhere in North, Central, or South America on a moments notice. No dispatcher to do your flight planning or fuel planning. No jet bridge to walk down into your aircraft, no flight attendant to get you something to drink. We Fr8 dogs go to airports in Mexico US airlines do not go to. You might be better keeping your yap shut unless you know what it is like to fly freight son!

Wow, more name calling! It's no secret that when you resort to that and personal attacks that you really have nothing of value to contribute. But carry on, flame away.

You continue to astound me with your superior debating skills.

DOjet...I completely was behind you on the first posts you made, because i saw what you "meant" by them, althought maybe not the correct way to say it, but i knew what ya meant. Now as far as your last post with flying into Mexico with the arc's and all...well, you need to compare apples to apples, and not apples to oranges. Those 135 guys fly into the same Mexico airports you do, plus a few others, and do it all by hand with nothing even close to the instrumentation you have (computer wise). I could by those standards say the same about me flying to mexico versus them flying to CA or FL, but i know that my flying computer handles EVERYTHING on ANY approach including arc's, intercepting and altitude constraints, and will meet them without a problem and all HANDS OFF, now you can NEVER say that about the 135 guys. Now put yourself into some of those airports here in the US that the 135 guys "fly into night after night after night" and see if you could do the same things they do by hand with your computers...of course you could, but now NEVER use those computers and see how well you do hand flying EVERYTHING...are you just as good without them by hand? I would doubt it, but remember, i am not attacking you, because i now fly 121 and could NEVER do most of the things that i used to do in 135 period.

Ok, so what was the original thread...oh yeah, you CAN go 135 directly to the majors, no problem.

Wow, somebody that ACTUALLY has something to contribute. Question, do you think flying 135 got you the job at F9 or was it your persistance? If you were flying for GL or SW out of DEN but still bugged them as much, would they have turned you down because you were 121 and didn't fly 135?

Wow, somebody that ACTUALLY has something to contribute. Question, do you think flying 135 got you the job at F9 or was it your persistance? If you were flying for GL or SW out of DEN but still bugged them as much, would they have turned you down because you were 121 and didn't fly 135?

Clearly, when you get an invitation to interview at a major, let them know that you have a 121 background and you deserve the job because of that more than any one with a 91, 135, or military background. Attitude and the ability to get along with others means more in getting a job than whether you flew 121 or 135. Your opinions that you have posted show deficiencies in your attitude and the ability to get along with others.

Wow, more name calling! It's no secret that when you resort to that and personal attacks that you really have nothing of value to contribute. But carry on, flame away.

Maybe I like being a Jacka$$. I would not say I do not bring any value to this thread. The only value I bring is my opinion, and as narrow-minded it may be I still like it.:D

By deflecting your answers to legitimate questions, you don't have much to contribute either. I asked when the last time you hand flew anything raw data in Mexico? You compared yourself to us freight dawgs by saying you fly into Mexico on a regular basis. Thats all nice and good, but until you actually sit in one of our planes and do what we do, your not going to get much respect from us freight dawgs.

Latest resources

Back