• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Parents part of the Problem

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL...I noticed in your examples that those who were more educated either pulled off grander schemes/crimes or evaded capture for a longer time.

FL000 said:
FN FAL...I noticed in your examples that those who were more educated either pulled off grander schemes/crimes or evaded capture for a longer time.
True, they are easier to google as well, especially since they are well known for their crimes. I'm sure there's just as many people who have escaped and evaded from the law and pulled off grander schemes while doing so, just watch AMW. I'm sure most of those jokers lack formal education and to top it off, they pulled the wool over the stay paid cops with the technical degrees. Whoo-haa...got ya in check.

dispatcher121 said:
My oldest son was the very same way....he was itching to fly. He wanted no part of High School. He got his GED and dove right into college and flying.

He's now 21 finishing up his degree and soon will have his multi-engine rating. His head has been in the clouds but very focused on his long term goals.
I was just looking at a research paper regarding these kids that graduate with bachelor degrees at 18-19years old.

http://www.geniusdenied.com/articles/Record.aspx?NavID=13_18&rid=11365

You can't tell me that these people didn't test out of high school.

Last edited:
futurama08 said:
Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard.

I'm doing my Ph.D. studies right now and let me tell you: school's not for everyone. While I do not advocate the excuse of "it is hard and it does not interest me" as a reason to drop out, one must recognize that school is not the magical outlet that provides you with a good life. Examples above and below prove that. How many members here lack having a four year degree but are doing fine?

The kid did a dumb thing. His parents admit that it was dumb. Furthermore, they say that they "don't want him to get out of this". Why are you blaming the parents?

No, school certainly isn't the "magic pill" that will ensure that you have a fine life. But, you have a much better chance of being able to make a reasonable living in this country if you are educated. Ask some hiring managers how they feel about reading resumes from people that can't spell, can't put a sentence together, etc. And for every Bill Gates there are probably thousands who end up on welfare, or in jail.

Public school is a necessary hoop to jump through. It is mostly worthless. I got good grades, but still think it was a waste of time. Most of the valuable knoweldge I got was from self study.

Just food for thought… The below all did not finish highschool, and look what they accomplished. I left out many of the earlier names (franklin, Edison, Washington, Lincoln, etc) due to the fact that many were home-schooled back then:

Orville & Wilbur Wright: Aviation pioneers; Congressional Gold Medal recipients
Albert Einstein: Nobel Prize-winning physicist; "Time" magazine's "Man of the Century" (20th century) After dropping out of high school, he studied on his own and passed the entrance exam, on his second try, to the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.
John D. Rockefeller Sr.: Self-made billionaire American businessman-philanthropist; co-founder of "The Standard Oil Company;" history's first recorded billionaire. Dropped out of high school two months before graduation; took business courses for ten weeks at Folsom Mercantile College [a chain business school]
Henry Ford: Self-made multimillionaire American businessman; assembly-line auto manufacturing pioneer; founder of the "Ford Motor Company"
Dave Thomas: Self-made multimillionaire American businessman; founder-spokesperson of the "Wendy's" fast-food restaurant chain (Earned equivalency diploma)
Andrew Carnegie: Self-made multimillionaire American businessman and philanthropist (elementary school dropout)
"Colonel" Harlan Sanders: Self-made multimillionaire American businessman; founder-spokesperson of the "Kentucky Fried Chicken/KFC" fast-food restaurant chain. Elementary school dropout; later earned a correspondence course law degree.
Samuel L. Clemens ("Mark Twain"): Best-selling American author and humorist. Elementary school dropout.
George Eastman: Self-made multimillionaire American inventor; founder of the "Kodak" roll film camera, corporation, and chemical company
Ray Kroc: Self-made billionaire American businessman; founder of the "McDonald's" fast-food restaurant chain
John Major: British Prime Minister 1990-1997
William Faulkner: Nobel Prize-winning and Pulitzer Prize-winning American author; screenwriter. Dropped out of high school in second year; later attended University of Mississippi but did not graduate.
William Faulkner; Failed to graduate from high school.

H.G. Wells: Dropped out to of high school (he later went on to finish and went to college)
Jim Clark self-made billionaire American businessman; founder of "Netscape"; first Internet billionaire - high School drop out .
Jimmy Dean singer-songwriter-actor; self-made multimillionaire American businessman; founder of the "Jimmy Dean Foods" brand sausage business – high school drop out.
Andrew Jackson 7th U.S. President – Self educated
Walter L. Smith: Former president of Florida A&M University – Earned equivilancy degree
W. Clement Stone: Self-made multimillionaire (some sources indicate billionaire) American businessman-author; founder of "Success" magazine (elementary school dropout; later attended high-school night courses and then some college)
Jack London: Best-selling American author (dropped out of high school at 14 to work; later gained admission to the University of California; left after one semester)

atrdriver said:
But, you have a much better chance of being able to make a reasonable living in this country if you are educated. Ask some hiring managers how they feel about reading resumes from people that can't spell, can't put a sentence together, etc.
So true. In high school, I did take a radio-communications/electronics vo-tech course. The information has helped me to this day.

In my Associate degree schooling back in the 80's, we had to take a course called technical communication. The text book was called, "Writing for the world of work".

I have been doing resumes on my own, ever since. The first ones were on an old manual "olympia" typewriter, that only had cursive type set. In the late 80's I moved up to a Brother stand alone word processor, now it's MS Word all the way on the PC (Bill Gates enters the conversation again!).

Last edited:
GoingHot said:
Parents allowed kid to drop out of high school. But it's okay. He earned his "GED". I know, I know. In some areas, this is normal -- but it shouldn't be.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/gwinnett/1005/19metpilot.html

I flew snakes for a while and I can't help but laugh when I see a gun bunny talking education! I don't mean to imply that you are uneducated and I do believe education is a good thing, not to be dismissed lightly. But I can recall a lot of darts being thrown in many different crew rooms and there was rarely any intellectual banter thrown about. Unless of course one considers discussions centered around the probability that on any given night, any given stripper "wants me" to be intellectual banter. When I last flew a Cobra to a static display (at a high school) the 1LT with me actually asked one of the guidance counselors "How much for the little girl!"

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]"Diplomas? We ain't got no diplomas. We don't need no diplomas. I don't have to show you any stinking diploma!" With apologies to John Huston and Humphrey Bogart [/FONT]

Latest resources

Back