Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
80% of Delta passengers use electronic ticketing. That leaves 20% who like a paper ticket.

Delta announced today that the service charge for a paper ticket is going up to $20.

Delta stock is down $1.60 on the announcement.

Another bonehead move....

Explanation:

This is a customer service business. Twenty percent of Delta passengers like a paper ticket, so Delta decides to risk a large loss to Spirit, Jetblue, and AirTran by asking their custromers to pay an extra fee for a ticket that they like.

While others may also use electronic ticketing, customers can spitefully change carriers to "punish" behavior that they see as abusive.

By demonstrating contempt for this large segment of their customers, Delta's action is a "bonehead move" in this highly competitive customer driven environment.

If I am incorrect, and Delta can afford a twenty percent reduction in load factor, please, set me straight.

Why the sarcasm?

This is a customer service business. Twenty percent of Delta passengers like a paper ticket, so Delta decides to risk a large loss to Spirit, Jetblue, and AirTran by asking their custromers to pay an extra fee for a ticket that they like.

Even though you don't work (and have never worked?) for the airlines, thanks for pointing that out. FYI. 100% of Delta tickets are issued as E-Tickets. For some reason, 20% of our customers think it is worth $10 to convert these etickets to paper tickets (probaly due to a lack of trust in technology). Now they will have to decide if this service is worth $20 or risk it and save $20 on the fare and show up to the airport without the paper ticket.

Large loss to Spirit, JetBlue, and AirTran for this? I doubt it. But in the markets where DAL overlaps with these companies, if a passenger is choosing airlines of $10 fare differances, then they are probably already on these low cost carriers.

While others may also use electronic ticketing, customers can spitefully change carriers to "punish" behavior that they see as abusive.
Give me a break. It's all about the cheap fare. If they go to CAL, UAL, NWA, or AA they are gonna have to pay more for a paper ticket there too. The reason they chose Delta in the first place was cost and convieniance. If they go somewhere else it's either going to cost more or take more time... all that to "punish" DAL? Good luck in the crusade...

By demonstrating contempt for this large segment of their customers, Delta's action is a "bonehead move" in this highly competitive customer driven environment.

Or an attempt to save millions of dollars and generate new revenue at the same time. It's called being responsible to the shareholders and stakeholders of the company.

If I am incorrect, and Delta can afford a twenty percent reduction in load factor, please, set me straight.

You're joking right? If Delta even loses a 1/4 point load factor because of this I'd be shocked and amazed.

Why the sarcasm?

Because your posts just crack me up. You don't fly or even work for an airline, yet you post in almost every airline related thread - and your name always pops up in DAL related threads... almost like you have some sort of chip on your shoulder. I esp. laugh when I read your posts relating to mainline pilots vs. regional pilots considering you've never been either....

I'm sorry you have the attitude that you have demonstrated here. While it is atypical of the Delta captains I haver personally known over the past 40 years, is it typical of the public's view of airline captains. That's unforunate.

I post in these threads because of the millions of miles where I have occupied the seats that pay your salary. Unlike many of those faceless passengers behind you, I have the backround and experience to comment on these issues, having lived a full life before I reached age 35, and been paid to report and comment on events of importance (see the first post in this thread) for over twenty years.

FYI. 100% of Delta tickets are issued as E-Tickets.

Not according to the business report which was the basis of my post.

all that to "punish" DAL? Good luck in the crusade...

What crusade would that be? Customers have become very reactive in the past twenty years. They "vote" with their money.

Or an attempt to save millions of dollars and generate new revenue at the same time. It's called being responsible to the shareholders and stakeholders of the company.

Apparently, airline analysts and investors don't agree with you or Delta management. The stock is down on the news.

You're joking right? If Delta even loses a 1/4 point load factor because of this I'd be shocked and amazed.

I asked if Delta could afford a twenty percent loss. The answer is no. Can they afford any further loss? I don't think so. I think management might be shocked and amazed, too. Frankly, I hope this doesn't happen. It would mean that more pilots would be furloughed. I did not say that I thought a twenty percent loss was likely.

almost like you have some sort of chip on your shoulder. I esp. laugh when I read your posts relating to mainline pilots vs. regional pilots considering you've never been either....

I see. Only a 121 pilot can discuss these matters. My mistake.

I hope I can continue to entertain you. If I can enlighten too, well, that's a bonus.

Last edited:
Timebuilder said:
I post in these threads because of the millions of miles where I have occupied the seats that pay your salary. Unlike many of those faceless passengers behind you, I have the backround and experience to comment on these issues, having lived a full life before I reached age 35, and been paid to report and comment on events of importance (see the first post in this thread) for over twenty years.

Well, since somebody paid you at one time to comment on things, you must know everything (and I'm sure you're always fair and balanced too)

Not according to the business report which was the basis of my post.

Please post the link. According to Delta.com, Delta's ticketing policy is simple. Unless you request a paper ticket, the ticket will be a eticket. There are 9 cities in the world that are not eticket eligible and these cities will not incur the paper ticket charge.

Apparently, airline analysts and investors don't agree with you or Delta management. The stock is down on the news.

Typical journalist. Never gives the whole story (like the whole **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** industry is down based on news like CAL and AAL reporting negative monthly stats and USAir being allowed to walk away from 67 airplanes) Nope, I'm sure everyone is selling due to the $10 paper ticket charge.

I asked if Delta could afford a twenty percent loss. The answer is no.

You incinuated that this charge would cause a large loss in load factor. Please show where this is not the intent of your statement. Again, typical journalist... go for the sound bite, not the truth.

I see. Only a 121 pilot can discuss these matters. My mistake.

I hope I can continue to entertain you. If I can enlighten too, well, that's a bonus. [/B]

Again the jounalist comes out...taking the quote out of context. In response to your mainline pilots vs. regional pilots posts, yes, I think only those that have actually worked in the enviroment can actually shed light on most of the discussions on this board.

But that' not what this little debate is about.

No, my flying friend. This isn't a debate.

I posted news as reported, and shared an opinion. That's what this board is about. I do know about what is fair and balanced, too. My first job was at NBC, and I can tell you first hand that it was anything BUT fair and balanced. I don't know everything, and neither do any of us. Hopefullly, as our life experience grows, we become wise.

No link, sorry. CNBC business news, on cable.

I don't think it takes a lot of insight to conclude that twenty percent of Delta tickets are paper tickets because people ask for them. That means customers WANT that. If you think that people won't be angered by a cost increase for something that they want, and formerly received for FREE, you haven't been watching business trends.

Do I think that this news is the ONLY reason that the stock is down? Are you kidding? We can have a discussion that rivals the PFT and RJDC threads combined to go over that information.

I'm not predicting or insinuating anything. I'm a little surprised at your vehement reation to a news blurb. Would you feel better if I had published a full treatise on Delta stock performance? Why? My only point is that is is an act of stupidity, having observed business ideas for several decades, to make a move like this that has a high risk of backfiring. As "service" has declined in the airline industry, there are more instances of customers reacting in outrageous manners in the cabin. This suggests an undercurrent of discontent that points to a sensitivity on the part of the customer. Did you see the sixty minutes report theat contrasted Delta service to Midwest Express? I did. Good customer relations is a foundational concept.

In response to your mainline pilots vs. regional pilots posts, yes, I think only those that have actually worked in the enviroment can actually shed light on most of the discussions on this board.

We will have to agree to disagree. I believe that you only need some exposure to business practices (I have plenty) investing (ditto) unions (a lot) and aviation (yikes! Can it really be 35 years...) in order to bring an intelligent, fair, and reasonable opinion to these discussions. If working as a major or regional pilot was a prerequisite for participation, many insights might be lost. Considering the current condition of the airlines, additional ideas are a necessity.

In the final analysis, your success as a 121 pilot, along with my sucess as a non-121 pilot (which you obviously look down on) is determined by that pesky element in the back of the plane. When an airline starts to squeeze a customer this way, I believe they are making a mistake. A "bonehead" mistake.

You can say that I have no business sharing my opinions in this forum. That's your right. Even if I think that you are wrong.

If you are currently on furlough, I hope you get your job back, and soon. I think you'll feel better.

Last edited:
Give it up, Timebuilder, I have. You're wasting your bandwidth arguing with these people. And I said arguing, not debating... there IS a difference.

Some people will never look to opposing viewpoints as anything but flamebait, misinformed opinion, or hearsay. Of course everything they say is fact. Anything you say to counteract them is trash.

You can't have a discussion with these sort of prople without it degenerating into a pissing match. The only way to win is not to play. That's why we have the "ignore poster" feature. Try it, it's pretty nice.

You are probably right.

I consider one of my personal faults to be that I am little too optimistic when dealing with people. It's a good thing, most of the time. Sometimes, though, I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back