• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pacific Jet Van Nuys In Bankruptcy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One thing that hurt thim is how the structured there management of the aircraft. I know of one G3 deal they managed. Basically they payed the owner $30000 a month to run it. This included all fixed cost . Then when the owner wants to use the aircraft it would cost them $2500 an hour for usage which includes all costs. And on top of that any one in the owners family could use the aircraft for $2500 an hour. If you gave PJ 5 days notice there would be no reposition fee. This particular G3 was in paint and interior for 3 months and PJ payed them while it was down.............

TransMach said:
I'm wondering ... what are the expenses that run an aircraft mangement/charter company into bankruptcy? The mangement company doesn't own any airplanes, so there's no debt service there on secured paper. The management company can expand/contract it's staff to meet the flying demand. The management company makes a markup on outsourced maintenance, fuel, insurance and crew services it provides to it's airplane owners. It would have it's own business umbrella insurance, operating insurance, facility rent and staff employee overhead costs. I can see an aircraft management company continue to contract until it dissappears, but bankruptcy ... that means somebody's cheeting somebody by hiding behind the bankruptcy rules or they have cheeted the airplane owners by making promisses they can't keep or they have collected monies from the airplane owners and spent it without doing what they were suppose to do with it.

Just my slant on it. If you pay the airplane owners as you are suppose to, and charge them what you are suppose to, bankruptcy would seem a far fetched idea.

TransMach

It's stuff like this that makes me thank my lucky stars that I didn't have to take a job like PJ. A friend was in the IV at Clay Lacy and that was bad enough. (Not trashing CL, just 135 in general.)TC

kilroy said:
One thing that hurt thim is how the structured there management of the aircraft. I know of one G3 deal they managed. Basically they payed the owner $30000 a month to run it. This included all fixed cost . Then when the owner wants to use the aircraft it would cost them $2500 an hour for usage which includes all costs. And on top of that any one in the owners family could use the aircraft for $2500 an hour. If you gave PJ 5 days notice there would be no reposition fee. This particular G3 was in paint and interior for 3 months and PJ payed them while it was down.............

so basically, what your saying is.... it was poorly managed. I agree, and disagree. TP is an experienced aviator and a shrewd businessman who knows both legally and illegally what he can get away with in this business. He has pushed more buttons @ VNY including unfortunately aircraft owners who were misled and conned into thinking their airplanes were NOT making money, while in reality, PJ WAS making tons of $$.

dingo222 said:
85K in Van Nuys wont buy you the ad on the back of a bus bench, lol.
I won't say housing is expensive in Van Nuys, but yesterday the local paper ran a quote:

"I just got a refrigerator delivered to my house. A homeless man offered me $3 million for it." ~Daily News

Pj

PA56pa,

Never mind. I just figured out you weren't addressing my post. Sorry ...

TransMach

Last edited:
I have to agree it was not the best place but I have been at many worst places. I did not pay for my training either.

Latest resources

Back