P.D. helicopter over crowded beach ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mudkow60 said:
I like flying helos, and flying them low over the beach is a huge perk.
And I always assumed you guys were on the lookout for sharks!

mudkow60 said:
What made you think that they were uncomfortable?

When I fly up the beach in a Navy helo, folks are so annoyed they wave and take pics.

Are they using all of their fingers when they wave? JK that would be fun

Working operations may operate outside the same standards and regulations to which you may be accustomed. A lot of us would never get anything accomplished if we observed those regulations.

You asked the questions, but did you seek the answers? Did you visit the aviation unit that "overflew" you, and learn more about their mission and their purpose? Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like you've already made up your mind that their acts were unsafe, and you're wanting confirmation of that fact.

Rather than seek judgement against the innocent, perhaps you ought to seek understanding and learn more about why they're flying like that. Rather than distain, you might just gain some appreciation.

Vavso said:
I know the next questions are gonna be :
Am I sure it was 300 feet?
How do I know it was a steep bank ?
how do I know people were nervous ?

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WASN'T 2 G's!!!!!!??????

Freaking pilot tool.

I'm kidding man.

9GClub said:
HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WASN'T 2 G's!!!!!!??????

Freaking pilot tool.

I'm kidding man.
dont kid Vavso...last week he was saying people should submit to unlawful searches at the behest of police, if they didn't have anything to hide. Now he's biatching about police flying helicopters over water that parallels the shoreline.

avbug said:
Rather than seek judgement against the innocent...
Innocent? Only little babies and retarded people are innocent.

Vavso said:
today and yesterday on long Island I saw an NYPD helicopter ( 5 miles out of its jurisdiction) fly eastbound along the shoreline at about 300 feet and then do a very abrupt 180 directly over head of about 600 people on their blankets . Standing in the doorway was a guy in a harness with a blue jump suit on . Sorry to say it looked like a case of show boating .People were actually uncomfortable with this overflight . Wouldnt this go against FAR91.119 Surely in a engine engine failure , rotor seperation or other mechanical issue it could have been a real disaster.

d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator

The aviation community is much to small and fragile for people to run and snitch, and alledge incompetency in public, at something that might be a trivial violation of an FAR. If you were really concerned, and did not want to come off as a total tool to your fellow aviators, you should have stopped by the NYPD base. I'm sure they would have been cordial with you so long as you didn't act like a civilian FAA ramp checker wannabe.

Seeing as though those pilots hold a highly coveted job, they most likely worked damm hard for their positions. The very least they deserve is someone to confront them face to face before slinging out worthless BS conjecture over the internet.

How do you know they weren't at 400'? 499'? How many proffesionals do you suppose busted 250 under 10k today-purposely or not? In the last hour?

If you must snitch, then save it for the fools who are a legitimate danger who we all see from time to time. There is plenty of them out there. Don't whine about proffesionals flying around their own 'hood in a matter that may seem unusual to you. They probably do more good in one day than most of us on this board combined have done all year.

Last edited:
You're only allowed to call the snitch number on cops that are running aerial speed traps. Other than that, its off limits.

Latest resources

Back