P.D. helicopter over crowded beach ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vavso

today and yesterday on long Island I saw an NYPD helicopter ( 5 miles out of its jurisdiction) fly eastbound along the shoreline at about 300 feet and then do a very abrupt 180 directly over head of about 600 people on their blankets . Standing in the doorway was a guy in a harness with a blue jump suit on . Sorry to say it looked like a case of show boating .People were actually uncomfortable with this overflight . Wouldnt this go against FAR91.119 Surely in a engine engine failure , rotor seperation or other mechanical issue it could have been a real disaster.

d) Helicopters. Helicopters may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section if the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface. In addition, each person operating a helicopter shall comply with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the Administrator

Emmmm....okie what is the point of this post....if you wanna snitch or something there is a 800 faa snitch phone number I believe...shudder.

the point is ....

would this be considered a violation of FAR and does the fact its a Police chopper give it more lee way than a civilian

Thanks for the smug answer If I wanted to snitch I would snitch wise a$$.

Vavso said:
would this be considered a violation of FAR and does the fact its a Police chopper give it more lee way than a civilian

Thanks for the smug answer If I wanted to snitch I would snitch wise a$$.

You really answered your own question it seems when you posted the rule....

But I am sure they were on official businesss so it didnt mater...

Wanked

What made you think that they were uncomfortable?

When I fly up the beach in a Navy helo, folks are so annoyed they wave and take pics.

Last edited:
mudkow60 said:
What made you think that they were uncomfortable?

When I fly up the beach in a Navy helo, folks are so annoyed they wave and take pics.

Dude, that has go to be SOOOO much fun:)

I am sure you see some nice sights ;)

mudkow60 u are the perfect one to ask ...

would you do a 180 degree turn at a steep bank angle directly over a large crowd at about 300 feet?? I am not talking about it flying over the water/coastline.

I know the next questions are gonna be :
Am I sure it was 300 feet?
How do I know it was a steep bank ?
how do I know people were nervous ?

Thanks all !

When I flew a helo back from Canada, we stopped and hung out with the NYPD helo guys. Nicest folks you would want to meet. Should have taken their offer up to hit the town that night.

I like flying helos, and flying them low over the beach is a huge perk. Everyone is friendly, and durning Spring break...

I love my job, and hope to fly helos until I am old.

I would not do a steep bank over folks. Also, when I say fly up the beach, I am usually off shore, and don't fly right over people.

Usually people are pretty friendly to military helos around here.

Latest resources

Back