Overpowered aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
capt_zman said:
On another note, a 727-100, ROA-MEM at FL280, mach .90. Blew by a USAirways 737 a thousand feet below literally like it was standing still. Poor guy was complaining to ATC that they had to wait for us to go by before getting higher, well, it wasn't a very long wait :)

I think US Airways guys are just mad at life right now cause every pay check they get is about $1,000 less than the one before.

capt_zman said:
On another note, a 727-100, ROA-MEM at FL280, mach .90. Blew by a USAirways 737 a thousand feet below literally like it was standing still. Poor guy was complaining to ATC that they had to wait for us to go by before getting higher, well, it wasn't a very long wait :)
But what about their climb rate? My airline experience was long ago, but I remember the 727 had a very lethargic climb rate. I was on a trip once and asked the Captain how long he had been flying them. He answered, "Twelve years, that would be 6 years in climb, 3 years in cruise and 3 years in descent." That basically says it all. :D

'Sled

Wasn't the airspace needed for the development of the TCA's based on the climb rate of the 727 since it was the worst climbing airliner in existance at that time?

You are correct with the climb rate, except for the Valsan converted ones (-217 engines on the pods). Those things will keep up with the best of them.

What about the 747 SP. I remember reading someplace that they could really climb well. Especially when light.

I am so excited, I have been looking for a new signature. \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/:D

Latest resources

Back