• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Overhead at Civilian Fields

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And besides, coming screaming into an airport doing a break, who doesn't find that motivating! When I was on the ground hoping like hell I could get the opportunity to fly for our military, I would have loved to see that!

I definitely agree with that.

Woah...throttle back! The reason fighter type A/C come up initial at "relatively" high speeds is because that's the speed published in our flight manuals. There's a reason for that - i.e. that's what the manufactuer reccomends. Fighter pilots don't give a rat's ass about pattern flying and we certainly don't skirt class D airspace at 500 knots and 500 feet because we can. On a low level...of course, by Tulsa international...are you kidding? I don't want to die from a 172 just as much as joe bag of donuts flying his cessna doesn't want to get hit by me. You will find 300 to 350 knots is pretty standard for every fighter in the book below 10K.

As far as Joe Sixpack "judiciously avoiding the MTR's" is absolute BS. There have been numerous occasions where I've had to stop my entire 4 vs 6 DCA fight (which I've usually mission planned the entire day prior) because some clown came into our MOA deciding it was a nice shortcut and could save 3 gallons of 100 LL while we just wasted $100,000 of taxpayers money in training costs.

Easy killer. I didn't say there wasn't a good reason for what speeds you guys fly. I said sometimes it's prudent to slow it down.

You're right. Some GA pilots wouldn't know a MTR from a Big Mac, but most do and most avoid them for obvious reasons. It only takes one though to gum up the works.

Last edited:
I did a cross country the other weekend into a couple civilian fields. After a few approaches we came back for the overhead at 350 for a full stop. Both were class D airports. I asked my IP about it, and he said the airspeed restriction has never been an issue, and added that no self respecting fighter guy would break below 350 haha. Just curious if most civilian towers are cool with this, or if anyone has ever been burned by this.

Thanks!

Class D is 200 kts. If you come into MCAS New River at greater than 250 you will have to stop by the Airfield Ops office prior to departure.

No one cares about how you look in the pattern. You quickly learn that after UPT.

Wow--you must be in a different AF than the one I was in...

Look good walking to and from the jet...
Look good up initial...
Sound good on the radio...

Right Huggy?

Wow--you must be in a different AF than the one I was in...

Look good walking to and from the jet...
Look good up initial...
Sound good on the radio...

Right Huggy?

I didn't say don't look good up initial. That is a professionalism/pride thing we all do because we're military pilots. And you never loose your cool on the radio.

However - thinking a civilian controller gets his rocks off because you come up initial at 300 knots...I don't think so.

I guess Huggy is now the officianado on pattern ops? I'll ask him then myself...Right Huggy?

I guess Huggy is now the officianado on pattern ops? I'll ask him then myself...Right Huggy?
Amen.

We would have voted for you, Scrappy, but we didn't know the phone number for the inside of the vault. Do you sleep in there too??

I know 300-350 below 10K seems to be pretty standard, since in addition to saying "2"....my only other job on leads wing is to critique non-verbally the stuff he does that I think is wrong.

On the other side. Single-ship, I always obide by the 250 below 10K. I know ample guys that have been called out on it over the radio, all civilians, and none of what they experienced do I want to ever be a part of.

350 in the break. Damn straight, but I'm not accelerating 15 miles out needlessly, I typically wait till I call initial, then accelerate, seems more prudent.

I think you'll find the guys that follow the rules have less heartache and more respect in the end.

Latest resources

Back