• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

over 3000 hrs no call from regional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Up until a couple years use of the FD to go below RVR 4000 was mandatory by the Op Specs C-57 I believe. If you are a professional pilots to not use everything available to you is inexcusable. I find a lot of our New Hire GA pilots look at the use of the FD as a sign of a weak pilot. It is something doctors use, but not real pilots. BTW guess what you will not pass a Line Check with demonstrating full understanding and use of the FD.

I am going to disagree with you. As a professional pilot I think it is my responsibility to be able to operate the aircraft under any circumstance. I fly most approaches with the FD, sometimes with autothrottles, sometimes without. On some approaches I use the autopilot and click it off after breaking out, sometimes I use autoland. But I also fly approaches, when I am legal to do so, with everything turned off, FD, autopilot, and autothrottles.

I think it is inexcusable for a professional pilot to not fly the occasional approach with everything turned off.

not possible, hafta be some skeletons in the closet...

Mike707 could not agree more. To use it for every approach you loose raw data skills. But to not use it at all as I have seen with our new pilots is not the right approach either.

Latest resources

Back