• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

OV-10s in Iraq

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OV-10's were withdrawn from Vietnam towards end because of improvement in portable anti-aircraft weapons by the NVA. Reference "Black Ponies" the story of VAL-4

pilotyip said:
OV-10's were withdrawn from Vietnam towards end because of improvement in portable anti-aircraft weapons by the NVA. Reference "Black Ponies" the story of VAL-4

For that snap shot of time it might have meant something, but I don't see how that relates to the proposal of this thread. There were SA-7,14s in DS/DS where the broncos flew (Where more modern aircraft got zapped also). Not to mention the fact that there are Military FW aircraft flying around Iraq and AFG today with out any ASE gear on board. All of which is probably less probable then being hit by LMG, AK, RPG in a Helicopter.

I think the ability of the OV-10 to contribute is very theater and threat dependent, much like the AC-130. The Spectre is an amazing platform, but cannot operate unless the air defenses in the area are pretty low. Consider SEA - as AD went up, the attacking aircraft had to be faster, more armored, or both. Beat the enemy AD down, you can send in the spectres, the sandies, the O1's, and the broncos.

These aircraft did not operate over Hanoi, and they couldn't operate over Iran until the fast movers and the stealth smack down the SAM sites, and the MANPAD and AAA threat is reduced.

I think the OV-10 could contribute nicely to Iraq and Afghanistan, acting as a spotter, liason, maybe a lasing platform, and relaying target GPS coords.

No one's mentioned UAVs yet in the context of the mission quoted in the article, "...would be used to augment surveillance of roads in Iraq..." I'm not up on UAV capabilities or the selection criteria for using them over a manned aircraft. Was wondering why/ why not they might not be the preferred platform in this case, considering age, risks, costs, etc of using other assets.

Gorilla said:
I think the OV-10 could contribute nicely to Iraq and Afghanistan, acting as a spotter, liason, maybe a lasing platform, and relaying target GPS coords.

I was thinking the same thing, as well as FAC-A and a few others, but like you and Albie aluded too... how long before an OV-10 gets knocked down by an IR MANPAD? With the current state of things (from what I can guess) I can't imagine it would be all that hard to sneak one into town, and launch it from a roof top.

DaveGriffin,

I have spent the last 15 minutes sifting through the thread trying to make sense of your posts. Wanna know why I can't seem to focus? I've been mezmerized trying to figure out why you have a SEAL Trident as your avatar? You can't possibly be that dumb. Although, the content of your posts would imply otherwise. Be aware of your audience on here, there's alot of young, inquisitive kids, but there's also a good number of guys who have walked the mile.

If I'm in error, please fill me in on the broad spectrum of your experiences that warrant you associating yourself with the Trident. Otherwise change it, because there's about 3 websites close by of guys who absolutely make it their daily duty to expose you as the jackhole you appear to be.

Mike-
BUD/s Class 197, SEAL Team ONE, 94-02, current Army aviator.

P.S. If they brought back OV-10s, OV-1s, I'd stay for 30!

stearmann4 said:
DaveGriffin,

If I'm in error, please fill me in on the broad spectrum of your experiences that warrant you associating yourself with the Trident. Otherwise change it, because there's about 3 websites close by of guys who absolutely make it their daily duty to expose you as the jackhole you appear to be.

Mike-
BUD/s Class 197, SEAL Team ONE, 94-02, current Army aviator.

P.S. If they brought back OV-10s, OV-1s, I'd stay for 30!

About fooking time. I though DaveGriffin was a fake from the time I first read his posts.

Just for the record,

A couple of months ago I got DaveGriffin's "Creds", and ran them through a SEAL with the "List". Through a few different PMs I baited him for Class #, Rank, SEAL assignment, Age, and current place of residence. ALL checked out clean and accurate through the master list.

Either he did a good job stealing someones Identity, or he is REAL. In cyberspace we probably will never know.

Back on tropic.

I asked a buddy who is working on COIN issues for the 3rdMAW. The push for the return of OV-10's comes from the small unit level. The Lt's and Capt's in the field aren't getting the dope they need from the UAV assets. They want a "live" set of eyes on their patrol/convoy routes...preferably with a native-speaking AO onboard.

The pitch is to modify the aircraft with bigger motors and a _____ IR system (not being cute...I just didn't recognize the acronym), and fly them in hot areas. The "selling point" is that the aircraft would eventually be turned-over to the new Iraqi Air Force (like our Air Force, but with smaller O-Clubs and golf courses) as a "safe" aircraft for them to operate.

The solution to the PGM issue is to have UAV assets with PGM's loitering in the area and use the Bronco's to laze targets.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back