OV-10s in Iraq

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MAGNUM!! said:
Hmmm. I've seen Sniper pods on Strike Eagles, and, Dave, I've got about 40 sorties with a Sniper pod on a Viper. However, there are currently no plans to slap a Sniper pod on a Raptor. No "stealth" sniper pod out there. And, besides, where do you put the LGBs?

I have to say, I'm shocked to see you piping in with comments on subjects about which you know nothing.

Hey MAGNUM!!​

You don’t need to keep reminding us that you are a super-killing-machine-Viper-death-master. We accept your unmatched prowess with a Sniper Pod. Thank God you haven’t recently felt the need to remind us about your heavy Miller Lite consumption and getting lucky with a couple of fat chicks during your Zoomie years.​

I guess the cumulative combination of intense indoctrination at USAFA and UPT, followed by AD in the USAF, has limited your cognitive capabilities. High intensity, by-the-book indoctrination can have serious detrimental effects on the portion of the brain that controls creative problem solving and non-linear thinking.​

My comments about a Sniper Pod mounted on Jim’s fictitious O/A/C/F-22 were a direct jab at your comments a few months ago regarding the Sniper Pod’s transformation of the AF CAS capability to provide effective supression and support for Grunts.​

No matter how you spin it, regardless of the hot sh*t technology, the AF has neither the culture, the desire, the heart nor the right volume of equipment to properly support the guys on the ground. They are way more concerned with reducing risk for the AF than they are for the guys working at 6 feet AGL.​

Last edited:
DaveGriffin said:
No matter how you spin it, regardless of the hot sh*t technology, the AF has neither the culture, the desire, the heart nor the right volume of equipment to properly support the guys on the ground. They are way more concerned with reducing risk for the AF than they are for the guys working at 6 feet AGL.
Next time you find yourself in need of CAS... make sure you tell em you won't accept a Viper/Mudhen/Warthog/etc. over head. While I'll always take stabs at AF culture their f'ing good at what they do.

And Mag.. ya that last post was directed at Dave

Last edited:
SIG600 said:
Next time you find yourself in need of CAS... make sure you tell em you won't accept a Viper/Mudhen/Warthog/etc. over head. While I'll always take stabs at AF culture their f'ing good at what they do.

And Mag.. ya that last post was directed at Dave

Any guy on the ground would gladly accept AF CAS. When it's there, it is undeniably good. The problem is, there ain't enough to go around and there is not a desire in the AF to provide more. The AF's budget and leadership is focused on the air supremacy role, with CAS taking a back seat.

Argue all ya want, but here it is. As an old mud thumper I can tell you this. In the few times we had to call in CAS, we weren't looking the the aircraft markings! We kinda had other things on our minds, you know what I mean? From my perspective, if it kills what is trying to kill me, then I don't care if they are wearing blue, green, or purple, it's all good.

Uhm...Dave...

As a guy who lived, ate, breathed, crapped, and got shot at with the Army...all the time WITHOUT a plane to fly...can you explain the part again about the AF being NOT COMMITTED to supporting ground troops? I think a bunch of former FACS, ALOs, and TACPs would strongly disagree.

Pat Olsen and William Andrews both got shot down in my sector during the ground campaign during Desert Storm. Pat was killed, and William was a POW. Pat Flew Hogs, and William was (I think) a Hahn Viper guy. I think those guys (along with several more) wrote in blood in the fact they would stick their neck out to support troops on the ground.

Magnum has been there, done that in the last few years. You are shooting at the wrong target.

DaveGriffin said:
Hey MAGNUM!!​

You don’t need to keep reminding us that you are a super-killing-machine-Viper-death-master. We accept your unmatched prowess with a Sniper Pod. Thank God you haven’t recently felt the need to remind us about your heavy Miller Lite consumption and getting lucky with a couple of fat chicks during your Zoomie years.​

I guess the cumulative combination of intense indoctrination at USAFA and UPT, followed by AD in the USAF, has limited your cognitive capabilities. High intensity, by-the-book indoctrination can have serious detrimental effects on the portion of the brain that controls creative problem solving and non-linear thinking.​

My comments about a Sniper Pod mounted on Jim’s fictitious O/A/C/F-22 were a direct jab at your comments a few months ago regarding the Sniper Pod’s transformation of the AF CAS capability to provide effective supression and support for Grunts.​

No matter how you spin it, regardless of the hot sh*t technology, the AF has neither the culture, the desire, the heart nor the right volume of equipment to properly support the guys on the ground. They are way more concerned with reducing risk for the AF than they are for the guys working at 6 feet AGL.​

Since you like your old posts, go back and read the responses. My opinions regarding CAS have not changed. Neither have yours, it seems, despite direct evidence that you don't know what you are talking about. You are a dinosaur, and you literally have no clue about the current AF commitment to CAS. Further, I said nothing about "transformation." CAS does not need to be transformed. The Sniper Pod, however, WILL enable the AF to do CAS better.

Personal attacks on me do nothing to change the fact that you're simply wrong about this subject.

If you want to talk Sniper and CAS, let's do it. I have direct experience with it (that's not a boast, by the way). I'd like to talk about SEAL Ops sometime...but I guess you'd be the wrong guy to ping, huh?

Last edited:
OV-10s back in the fight...sweet! One bad ass little FAC rig! Oh...are we still talking about the original topic? My bad, sorry for derailing the original derailed topic back to the original...oh nevermind. ;)

Glad we're all on the same team...seriously.

DaveGriffin said:
No matter how you spin it, regardless of the hot sh*t technology, the AF has neither the culture, the desire, the heart nor the right volume of equipment to properly support the guys on the ground.

I read this statement and thought to myself, "Who in their right mind would say this ignorant crap?" But then I read the name of the poster: DaveGriffin... you lovable little troll, where would this message board be without you?!

Mr Griffin, why do you feel the need to incite folks here? Please give it a rest.

Side note: Bill Andrews got the Air Force Cross for his efforts during The Storm. Paul Johnson, A-10 driver and my UPT tablemate, got the other. He's got some great stories about supporting folks on the ground. I think he would take exception to your comments, sir.

As for the OV-10, Alcohol, Tabacco, and Firearms (BATF) was flying a few back around 1998. Does anyone know if they still have them? If so, are any being flown on the West Coast?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back