Birdstrike

Atlantic City
No mention of UAVs as an alternative.
-----------------------------------------

Jane's Defence Weekly
April 12, 2006

USMC Looks To Revive OV-10s For Use In Iraq

By Joshua Kucera, JDW Staff Reporter, Washington, DC

The US Marine Corps is looking at the possibility of reviving the retired OV-10 Bronco observation aircraft for use in Iraq, according to a top service official.
The aircraft, which was retired from US service in 1994, would be used to augment surveillance of roads in Iraq.

Having additional aircraft there could increase the chances of US forces detecting the emplacement of roadside bombs or improvised explosive devices (IEDs), some service officials believe. "If this is a capability we think that will take out the IED or help us catch the IED maker ... you bet [we are interested]," a senior marine commander told Jane's.

Service officials, with the help of an association of retired OV-10 pilots, have identified aircraft and pilots that could be used in Iraq, he said.
The Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory has been tasked to examine the cost of such a plan and the concept of operations it might use, the commander added.

However, not all marine officials are enamoured with the idea.
Lieutenant General John Castellaw, the service's deputy commandant for aviation, told Jane's he thought the experience of the Gulf War showed that the aircraft was too vulnerable.

Marsh Aviation, which manages the inventory of the government-owned OV-10s and does upgrade work for international OV-10 customers, could remanufacture 10 or 12 of the aircraft suitable for military use by piecing together parts of various aircraft, said Floyd Stilwell, Marsh Aviation's chief executive officer.

The company could start delivering aircraft within 10 months at a normal production rate and faster if the government paid for it, Stilwell said.
The OV-10 proposal is one of many schemes - often secretive - to revive retired aircraft or convert civilian aircraft for use in operations in Iraq and elsewhere.

The US Army has converted at least three Shorts 360-300 aircraft under the name Constant Hawk to do surveillance in Iraq and the sea lanes of the Middle East. Two of the aircraft collided with each other in Wisconsin in February shortly before they were to be sent to Iraq.

Mohawk Technologies of Florida has operated a fleet of six OV-1 Mohawk reconnaissance aircraft under a US Department of Defense (DoD) contract for about 12 months, said Paul Pefley, the company's president. Pefley declined to say where the aircraft were being operated or for which branch of the DoD. The OV-1 was retired from US Army use in 1996.

Most of the non-traditional aircraft plans, however, have gone nowhere and have been openly advocated only by a collection of veterans associations and a handful of members of Congress.

There is a growing constituency, however, of people who believe that soldiers and marines in Iraq need better real-time intelligence and look back to the Vietnam-era Forward Air Controllers (FACs) as a model of how counterinsurgency can be fought from the air.

Those FACs were more tightly integrated with small units than the surveillance aircraft used today, and more effective, the Congressional staff member said.

"The air force is looking at all this, but very quietly," he said. "There's really a gap in combat information at a platoon commander, convoy leader level that is real and as real-time as you can hope to have it. We've got dozens of systems operating over there but there's a big logjam in the [intelligence] pipeline, and everyone knows it."

If they would in any way let an old grunt turned Air Guard fly them over there, I'd be there in an f'ing SECOND.

But we have the O/A/C/F-22!!!!! It can do all missions, so just use it to overwatch the convoys.

JimNtexas said:
But we have the O/A/C/F-22!!!!! It can do all missions, so just use it to overwatch the convoys.

Right you are Jim. Especially with the Sniper Pod capability. Think of all the casualties that will be avoided with this new super weapon. The AF, with its mastery of new technology, will revolutionize the way war is fought, minimizing exposure of personnel to danger and maximizing budget allocation.

Too bad we will only have a few dozen of them. Remind me again, how many are in Iraq now?

Okay...I'll bite...

As an F-15 pilot, former OV-10 guy, and ground FAC during Iraq I think I can speak with a bit more credibility than some here.

The OV-10 was a slow, turboprop aircraft with some hardpoints for ordnance. It has NO PGM or night capability in the AF variants, althought the Marines D version had a FLIR. Both versions were never really "over-powered", and in the hot desert w/extra munitions and/or armor (which you KNOW would be added) it would be bad news to lose an engine.

Those engines are not cool, and an IR manpad is a real threat. History buffs or Semper Fi types can correct me, but I"m sure we lost 1 and possibly 2 OV-10s in the first Gulf War.

F-22? Yeah--you complain about not having the "optimum" on call CAS platform, but the F-22 is not about protecting troops directly. It is designed to keep them from having to duck and cover from Su-35 and Flogger attacks. Nobody else quit designing fighters in the 80s, and they took notes on our tactics. If you want to own the ground, you need to be able to own the skies first. It ain't cheap--but its cheaper than losing. The same things said about the Raptor used to be said about the Eagle (and Tomcat, and Hornet...). We lost ZERO troops to enemy air in Vietnam, the Gulf War, or the latest War on Terror. The most bored guys in the Army are the ADA guys--which is good! If our guys are calling in air instead of dodging air attacks we are going in the right direction.

So--what platform do we need? OV-10s, if we could get them, and slow and vunerable with little armor. Low threat tactics staying high would be great...but road recce from those altitudes might NOT provide what you want. Another slow turboprop? They tried that--and last Memorial Day a fellow UPT classmate was killed flying one of those POS platforms. So--what has been the best CAS platform for the last few years? In my mind, the A-10 is just tough to beat. Its fast and tough enough to avoid more light AAA, but slow enough to provide some loiter time. Need PGMs or a second set of eyes? The F-15E and/or F-18D both provide serious real time data link, PGM options, and the ability to operate in a more threatening environment.

I used to mark targets with rockets. If you got withing 50 yards of a target on a tac range, it was fine. In a sensitive area, however, the lack of precision invites killing friendlies or non-hostile targets, and creating a tremendous amount of politicial fallout. If you don't want to end up on Al-Jazeera, you have to hit the target you aim at--period. I got a few shacks and bulls during my OV-10 days, but those were lucky hits on the range I flew to week after week. In combat--we'd be using lasers or other markers, but there would be no way to shoot in most area.

We all know and love the FAC history. However--FAC reunions provide one sobering fact. A LOT of FACs have died in combat. O-1s, O-2s, and even the follow on OV-10 have some serious limfacs in the modern combat arena. With 7000 manpads out there--it doens't take much to neutralize a slow moving guy who loiters over the same area again and again. I think some of these guys are mixing nostalgia and wistfulness for the "good old days" forgetting that a lot of guys got the @ss shot out from under them in those platforms, and many of them would have given anything for another 200 knots or more of speed and a lot more armor.

MAGNUM!! said:
Hmmm. I've seen Sniper pods on Strike Eagles, and, Dave, I've got about 40 sorties with a Sniper pod on a Viper. However, there are currently no plans to slap a Sniper pod on a Raptor. No "stealth" sniper pod out there. And, besides, where do you put the LGBs?

I have to say, I'm shocked to see you piping in with comments on subjects about which you know nothing.

Last I checked the role of the F-22 was air supieriority... since when can you hang ******************** on it and keep it stealth anyway?

Oh... and just for grins.... "Magnum!"

I think he was being a bit sarcastic.

SIG600 said:
Last I checked the role of the F-22 was air supieriority... since when can you hang ******************** on it and keep it stealth anyway?

Oh... and just for grins.... "Magnum!"

That was my point about not having a "stealth" pod.

The latest and greatest OV-10 that Marsh is putting out these days is being termed the OV-10G. It is an OV-10D (USMC Version) with a new 4 bladed prop, different Garrett engines (Don't know the model or HP), upgraded civi avionics package, and best of all, an Air Conditioner.

Latest resources

Back