• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Out of work again!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This probably doesn't help much, but the first ten years or so of my flying career, I was often out of work once or twice a year. Company layoffs, companies that closed, companies that moved me and then closed that branch or office, etc. While establishing a flying career, I found myself cleaning supermarket floors, doing night security, servicing ATM's, dispatching for a sheriff's office, watering roses in a greenhouse, working in a rubber stamp factory, driving a delivery truck, substitute teaching high school, and a number of other equally exciting and rewarding jobs.

I'm very sorry to hear of your condition, and I certainly don't mean to make light of it. I'll do anything I can to help or help find work, if I hear of it. I just mention this to say don't get discouraged. It's not so uncommon as folks today might believe; been there many times before, and won't be surprised if I'm there again. It does get better. It does get worse. However, it all goes away after a short time, work is found again, and flying once more commences.

You need to believe that, despite the feelings to the contrary. Things do look bleak at times, and sometimes they are. However, it's a temporary state. Don't just believe that. Know it. I know it, and weather or not your inner self will admit it, you know it too. Sorry to hear of the loss, but things WILL improve.

Go Military! Thats what Im doing, I want to fly and not have to worry about layoffs. The military is the best flying out there. It pays pretty good and the only people who get "let go" are the dirt bags who cant get promoted.

"Your point is?"

My point was look into Mil flying. Dont have to worry about layoffs, descent money and a good retirement if you want to do 20. My recruiter called today and said it looks like my packet will be approved. I might hear tomorrow for sure or maybe Monday. I cant wait. Im sick of trying to provide for a family of 3 on a CFI wage. It cant be done and Im sick of starving. I will post my final results when I get them. Why dont you look into it? You not qualified?

Hi!

Air WI, ATA and AirTran are hiring.

I'm at USA Jet (YIP) and we have a pool-future classes anticipate-12 Falcon 20s, 12 DC-9s. Across the field Kalitta Air and Murray are also hiring. Cherry Air and Amerijet both have Falcons-don't know if they're hiring.

MILITARY:
Active duty military guys don't fly that much-mostly do paperwork or sit on their ass. Guard/reserve fly a lot more and less bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**.

As to the slackers being weeded out, often it is the opposite. When I was in, a large % of those staying in were either to scared/weak to get out and get a real job, or they sucked but kissed enough butt to stay in. Some of the top performers were let go, because the system didn't recognize that they were excellent (they didn't kiss enough butt).

Also, you may want to go mil, but a lot of people are physically rejected for very minor things.

Additionally, it is NOT secure, like some people think. Periodically, they dump a whole bunch of people in drawdowns.

Cliff
GRB

FD,
First off, it is a shame you are out of work again. I don't wish that on anyone. Although, I will say you did touch a nerve with your reply to B-J-J Fighter. It would seem to me that if you are going to come on this board and vent your frustrations, then you might be looking for advice. Why reply with a smart a$$ remark (YOUR POINT IS?) when another offers helpful advice?! With your hours, you have been in aviation long enough to know layoffs are the nature of the beast.

Cliff,
Obviously you haven't been active duty for sometime but we hardly just sit around doing paperwork. Yes, there are a lot of additional duties other than flying but its just part of the job. I can only speak for Army aviation, but most units are flying their a$$es off training up for deployments across the ocean, or missions in support of those deployments. And as far as a "drawdown" is concerned, they can't draw us down any more than we are now. We are short pilots big time. Why else would UH-60 pilots stop-lossed, and aviation bonuses offered to all pilots to stay active duty. As far as the other services are concerned, I am sure their families are missing them while they are very busy training or flying in support of the Iraq/Afghanistan missions.

B-J-J Fighter,
Good luck with the packet. If selected try and go guns. Flying will be second most fun thing you could be doing behind sending a $40,000 laser guided Hellfire down range.

58d Guy

I appreciate the helpful comments. I personally didn't see bjjfighters' point.... I already did 4 years in the Air Force. It's a good place for some people. I hope all the best for bjj fighter. I hesitate to post on this board due to the fact that people apparently like to pick fights, no matter what the post is about.. I thought this board was for us to talk and help each other out when we can. Mabe I was wrong.....
Falcondriverless

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back