Our trusty line crews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lrjtcaptain

Working in the corporate world I have to deal with the line crew and a regular basis. In the most case they are pretty reliable and do what I ask but it seems that the most simple tasks are sometimes just too difficult.

Last week I called in the fuel load to my FBO. I told them I would be departing around 8am so please take care of it the night before.

I get to the airport at 7am the next morning cause I was gonna have to leave 30 minutes early due to weather. My fuel had not been loaded on the aircraft.

When I asked the line guy why, he said that he was told I wouldn't be leaving until 8am. I had to inform him that sometimes we have to leave earlier due to unexpected strong winds aloft. He didn't comprehend that when I call in my load and ask for it done that night in case of this occurence that I want it done the night before, he just was like well....

I find this to be unacceptable.

This is the second time I didn't recieve my fuel. I didnt go to the FBO manager on this one but I wanted to.

Anyone have any stories like this and how did you address them. I don't want to make enemies with my line crew or FBO people cause they usually do take good care of me.

As a line guy I know exactly what happened. Assuming you weren't at a 24hour FBO that is. You called in the fuel order at night. The trucks were already topped off and the line crew was getting ready to go home. They put your fuel order on the board as well as your ETD and left it for the morning crew who gets there at 5:30 AM with plenty of time to throw some gas in you.

If you didn't call right before close then, yeah, they should have fueled you. But if it was 8:30 (we close at 9), that fuel was going in the next morning. I think all pilots need to work the line for 6 months just to realize how the system works.

As for simple tasks being too difficult, how about the 90 percent of you guys who can't line the nose of the airplane up with the line guy waving you in...is that so hard? When I'm standing somewhere with the wands I want your nose there, not 6 feet to my left or right.

as for when i called in the order....3pm the day before. No excuses

as for lining up the airplane where you put us. Ive never had a problem nor a complaint. I know the importance of a tiddy ramp. I always make sure my nose is lined up well with the line guy.

Back when,

As a line guy my biggest grip was the drivers who would set the brakes, lockup and leave after we asked them not to. It was painted in big bold letters on the transient side of the hanger for all arriving a/c to see and the line guy/gal was always to ask, “Brakes off, please”. Before the crew departed.

We had a small ramp but a lot of traffic and was constantly moving jets, props and helo’s around to accommodate other arriving a/c.

We too would top off the trucks and dip the tank farm about 30 prior to close and anything after that time would be rolled over to the 0500 shift. Paperwork, ticket and cash drawer countdown had to be turned in to the desk by 5 after and we had to be out of there by 10 after close.

Anyone needing gas after close ponied up the after hours fee which was around $75.00.

Nowadays I try to do as much as I can from a former line guy perspective, not so much as to inconvenience my passengers but just to go the extra distance for them when I can, besides I’ve been there done that.

If you called in at 3 then I can see why you’re mad, should’ve gone to the manager.

GIV

As for lining up on the painted line, a lot has to do with whatever idea the line guy has about what needs to be done to put the plane on that line.

Was he just hired? How many planes has he parked? If he makes a miscalculation about distances or turning radius, and I am slavishly following his wands, who will be responsible for the damage to my aircraft?

I will.

My boss won't listen to "I was just following directions".

So, If I am looking at my winglets or tip tank and not at the lineman, forgive me. My job is at stake.

Use one wand to point at the spot where you want my nose wheel. I can usually hit it.

No excuse on the fuel. If this is home base for you, talk to the manager and get the problem fixed.

As far as lining up the nose of the aircraft with the lineman...
Vandal, the AIM clearly shows that a lineman is supposed to stand to the captain's left when bringing an aircraft in. So please, the next time you flag an aircraft in, do YOUR job correctly and leave responsibility for the aircraft to the pilots.

Ditto on the "pilot gods" that left with the braking brake set at OSH. I worked there 1997, 1998 summers and it was purely amusing to see some "professional" park is Malibu and think a tow bar would not touch it for a week!!! In fact one line guy was almost decked when we was hooking up the tow bar.

All in all, I think line guys do a great job (in fact a fair amount are pilots making some cash).

Do the same problems occur at the same FBO all the time? If so talk to the line supervisor, don't go straight to the manager. Was it the first time this happened?

By far my favorite are the pilots that fill up their own airplanes and have to be there when it is fueled (during OSH).

A 3,000 gallon Jet A truck: $50,000
A 1990 M20 Mooney: $100,000
The hat with the windsock on it: $10
The expression on the pilot with the windsock hat when you ask where to connect the single point: Priceless

RJ

Country Wild, I am assuming you are poking fun about an old thread but in case you're not...being a lineman isn't regulatory either, DOH!
;)

The hard part is the inconsistency that you see with line folks.

I'd say half are upset that I let my engine idle for a couple of minutes after they park me. They don't realize that the continental turbo's have a 5 minute cool down period.

Only 25% really top the airplane off and most leave me almost 10 gallons short. Only 10% ever get the fuel caps on right. I have a standing silent bet that the line guy that fuels my airplane correctly and gets both caps right gets $20 bucks. In 4 years and over 600 hours of flying, I have only paid it twice.

And why is everyone so upset about towing an airplane? Ask any Mooney owner that has owned his airplane for more than a couple of years, and I guarantee they have replaced a nose gear truss and bushing ($1100) because the line guy exceeded the turning radius. Last time it happened to me, it took 8 months for the FBO to pay the bill. In the Malibu, cost is closer to $5000.

So as a pilot, what do you do? For the cool down, I usually explain that turbos just need to cool down and they should deal with it. For towing, I ask them if they are familiar with the difficulties of towing a Mooney and show them the area to watch when towing. I also show them that the truss is not bent prior to them towing the airplane. Most think I'm crazy, but I don't particularly care.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back