• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Others value ALPA more than many of its members

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well Rez... for all the whiners I see there, I see some happy U.S.-born and bred B-777 captains who have zero desire to come back here. Hell, ask Typhoon Pilot if he wants to come back to fly for a U.S. airline. Could he come back and fly a B-777 for a US airline making that kind of money?

I wouldn't come back to the domestic US market until the salary level comes to at least an average compared to all other industrialized nations and that will mean a 100% pay increase across the board, I don't see that happening.

The rest of the world doesn't want to deal with independant minded Yanks...

Hum???? All foreign companies that hire ex pats are actually targeting the US for pilots now with road shows and the likes. There are some companies in ASIA that are planing US pilot bases to attract more American pilots and increasingly offering options like "commuting" contracts.

No I think the issue is it is hard on a 10,000hr/20yr veteran to go from $150K a year to $20K a year and no pension.

And it has always been like this... and many pilots have suffered this dilema over the years. Are you surprised? Didn't think it could/would happen to you.

We've had 70 years to fix this.... what were we doing when life was good?

I wouldn't come back to the domestic US market until the salary level comes to at least an average compared to all other industrialized nations and that will mean a 100% pay increase across the board, I don't see that happening.

That's the point... many guys go ex-pat... they get comfortable on the money... but many do want to come back and live in the US but can't....

Hum???? All foreign companies that hire ex pats are actually targeting the US for pilots now with road shows and the likes. There are some companies in ASIA that are planing US pilot bases to attract more American pilots and increasingly offering options like "commuting" contracts.

Thus the supply and demand of todays market...

However, for example... in the Middle East... who are/was the preferred ex-pats?

I just don't care for your resignation and apathy... which of course is understandable and your choice and right...

What is the solution? or is there none... do we stop resisting the rapist and submit?

Are we resisting? 70 years of proud tradition unhampered by progress, Rez!

The solution for me personally is to take this with stride and seek employment in other parts of aviation. If that job goes away, I can take my skill and experience to another job that pays similar or better. Really can't do that in the airline industry unless I go overseas.

We trade mobility for seniority protections.

The point... do you want to play suck up to upgrade?

You know... many corporate places only hire captains. Now, how is it possible to have 2 captains on a flight deck?? Who gets to play Jack Byrnes "only the captain gets to sound the horn?" Not only that, but good operators pay really close together, within 10-20% for Lead Captain vs. Captain. Do you really care if you "upgrade"? Or "only the captain gets to play with the tiller"? The closest thing the airline has is that FO should get 60% of captain pay... 60%... and yet read your quote below. Why so much disparity?

Experience has some value and its paid for in longevity raises... but qualified is qualified.

Experience has ALL the value. You don't even know how much airline pilots have ruined this profession through seniority-based pay. Qualified = qualified? If that's the case, you should have only 10-20% difference between captains and FO's. We all know that's a pipe dream. Thank you, UNION!

PCL_128 said:
Not even close. You couldn't pay me enough to go without union protection in this industry.

You strike me as a sharp guy, PCL. I wonder why you are so blinded by unions. I know corporate guys, no union protection, making more than FDX/UPS guys.

You know what's interesting? I remember you coming on this board a while back. You were so gung-ho against RJDC way back when. I was at a regional back then, and I was also very gung-ho about ALPA, just like you. After enough time has passed by, after seeing injustices done by ALPA, I still had some faith. When I took leave from Aloha during our first bankruptcy, I saw a whole other world in corporate aviation. I saw pilots working, getting better jobs without taking paycuts to do that, I saw a number of things that are better that just don't happen in the airlines. I saw some things that are worse, too.

That experience got me thinking and wondering. I never thought my airline would fold. I thought at worst, we would have been acquired by some other airline. Hell, we were within hours of announcing that UAL was absorbing AQ... but oil shot straight up and UAL CFO nixed the deal. So what happens, Freight Dog loses his 100k+ a year job flying 737NG's. Now what? Seniority rules dictate that if I go to any airline, I make bottom dollar (20-25k). Sorry pal... SENIORITY!
Now I look at my corporate friends... they shrug and say... "Unions, buddy. If we have an a**hole boss, we'll take our experience to another gig for more money." Bottom line, CEO's, CFO's, COO's, VP's, corporate pilots, etc... all those people who consider themselves professionals, can make a lateral move and make the same or better living than they were before. Airline pilots cannot because they are hamstrung by seniority. Does that mean airline pilots are not professionals? One could argue so...

To say what you said PCL is rather shallow. However, I hear you because I was singing the same mantra a while back until I opened my eyes to reality. I'm glad that it happened now, at this point in my career, and not 20 years from now.

Last edited:
Freight Dog, if you continue to try to compare domestic airlines to foreign airlines and corporate, then we're never going to get anywhere. The job markets and job descriptions are completely different, and always will be, and it has nothing to do with unions or the seniority system. It has to do with management mentalities and the free market. Until you realize that, we're going nowhere in this conversation.

PCL, the reason we're not going anywhere is because you haven't grasped or accepted any alternative to the seniority-based compensation, or any alternative to seniority system.

The sooner people realize that it's severely limiting, and grossly flawed, the sooner this profession will be restored.

Until then.......

PCL, the reason we're not going anywhere is because you haven't grasped or accepted any alternative to the seniority-based compensation, or any alternative to seniority system.

I've considered the possibility and determined it to be completely unworkable in this industry. If you weren't so blinded by your anger over the situation at Aloha, you'd realize that it would be suicide to allow airline management the latitude to consider "merit" for anything. The second seniority and union protections leave this industry, we're all screwed. Safety and fairness will be replaced with penny-pinching and ass-kissing. I want nothing to do with it. If you're tired of seniority, then have fun in the corporate world.

I've considered the possibility and determined it to be completely unworkable in this industry. If you weren't so blinded by your anger over the situation at Aloha, you'd realize that it would be suicide to allow airline management the latitude to consider "merit" for anything. The second seniority and union protections leave this industry, we're all screwed. Safety and fairness will be replaced with penny-pinching and ass-kissing. I want nothing to do with it. If you're tired of seniority, then have fun in the corporate world.

PCL, the answer is not walking away from seniority all the way around. There is a place for seniority - bidding schedules, vacation/sick leave accrual, etc.

What chaps me the most is that if I wanted to stick around the airline industry; considering that no one is hiring now, I'd be lumped with and PAID THE SAME as a 300 hour guy coming out of ALL ATPS.

Fair? Right? I don't know... you tell me.

PCL, the answer is not walking away from seniority all the way around. There is a place for seniority - bidding schedules, vacation/sick leave accrual, etc.

What chaps me the most is that if I wanted to stick around the airline industry; considering that no one is hiring now, I'd be lumped with and PAID THE SAME as a 300 hour guy coming out of ALL ATPS.

The answer is longevity pay, which links your payscale to your ALPA longevity. ALPA is already in the process of working on this at the regional level, and most of the regional MECs have agreed to the framework. Hopefully the idea will take hold and spread to the major carriers also. Time will tell.

Fair? who said anything about fair in this free market economy? You seem to favor EU work rules.

Question....

if you want to stick around after the Aloha furlough in the industry and get paid fairly to do so.... then you want someone to value your experience...

first....who values your exp. and more importantly...who is willing to PAY for it....

if you say ALPA then fine...work the system to align ALPA values. Just ensure you don't take from another pilot...

if you say management ....fine. If you can convince management to pay higher wages for you over first year pay then you can be negotiator emeritus.

Finally, you like the corp world... some jobs are great others not. It all depends on the company. Work rules vary drastically....

and pay.... sure you make 130K, but again... in 20 years what will you be making? 150? 175?

Latest resources

Back