• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Others value ALPA more than many of its members

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd get rid of ALPA as a bargaining agent and leave it up to individual pilots to negotiate their own worth.

Abso-f'in-lutely. I have a 100% on-time departure and arrival rate, I never carry one pound of fuel more than is required, I tough it out when I'm sick, and I never write up the airplane unless it's in a maintenance base. Airline managers would pay BIG bucks to hire me and upgrade me out of seniority!

</sarcasm>

Moron.

Abso-f'in-lutely. I have a 100% on-time departure and arrival rate, I never carry one pound of fuel more than is required, I tough it out when I'm sick, and I never write up the airplane unless it's in a maintenance base. Airline managers would pay BIG bucks to hire me and upgrade me out of seniority!

</sarcasm>

Moron.

He's not a moron, he's just blinded by his own anger over the situation he's in because of his carrier going under. If he calmed down and really thought it through he'd realize how ridiculous it is.

Maybe if you got involved AOPA would have been a better organization.

Maybe so, but advancing general aviation isn't exactly a priority of mine.

I'd get rid of ALPA as a bargaining agent and leave it up to individual pilots to negotiate their own worth. You can't tell me that if Delta goes under, your skill goes from being worth 100k a year to being worth 30k just because you had to start at another carrier.

You can thank ALPA for that one.

Did you have a problem with the seniority system before? I never heard you complain about your seniority protections?

Its not ALPA. Its gov't and those who control the distribution of power and wealth. And its the RLA.

Smart people place blame where it belongs.

You sound like that guy that has a decent girlfriend... then gets dump and all of a sudden she is a worthless b!tch...

How did a buddy of mine get to leave a 130k a year job flying a G for one company and get hired by another flying the same type of plane for starting pay of 155k without utilizing ALPA's superior bargaining skills?

So.... if you lose your job at Aloha making good enough money.... what is to stop you from getting that 155K G job?

Let me guess...... ALPA.

So.... if you lose your job at Aloha making good enough money.... what is to stop you from getting that 155K G job?

Let me guess...... ALPA.

No, but ALPA has precluded me from getting another 100k job flying a B-737 at least in this country... you know... continuing on, not skipping a beat from what I was making before. You know, you can bid ahead of me, you can deal with seniority all you want... but pay me what several thousand hours in 737 are worth... oh, no wait.. SENIORITY, right?

Oh, and DashTrash400? I turned down a street captain job flying a Q400 simply because it wasn't paying enough. So did several of my other DHC-8 typed friends... why? They weren't paying enough.

Moron? Brother... when you figure out that your value as a pilot goes from 100k to 30k the minute your airline goes under, or you decide to change jobs... what does that tell you? Uhhh.... seniority... uhhhh.... yeah!! SENIORITY... that's it.... uhhhh yeah! Or does it tell you there's something wrong with this system?

On the other side, our corporate flying buddies don't have this limitation placed on their careers. Think it benefits them? Or do you think our seniority system benefits us better?

Think about it...

Last edited:
Maybe so, but advancing general aviation isn't exactly a priority of mine.

And why not? AOPA is VERY imperfect, but there is no other organization working to keep it possible to go fly a Cub or 152 around without European-style regulation and costs.

He's not a moron, he's just blinded by his own anger over the situation he's in because of his carrier going under. If he calmed down and really thought it through he'd realize how ridiculous it is.

PCL... thanks for the defense.

You know, it really takes something like this happening to you to stop and think about things.

Thankfully, I'm only in my early 30's. I think about our old guys - in their mid to late 50's.

20000 - 25000 hours total time, 15000-20000 hours of PIC in 737's, and the best they can hope for in this country is 30k as an FO in a 737 if they want to stay in this industry, or 20k if they fly a regional jet. Their only choice that will actually pay them what they are worth is going overseas.

Don't you think it's wrong? If so, how do you correct it while protecting others at the same time?

Latest resources

Back