• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Dude

They are moving ops to MCO they are just going through the motions.

The bottom line is that our lease is up soon on that overpriced rat motel in forest hills and even offering $51,000 for schedulers with no experience required, the best we can get is the TSA flunkees. Lets face it New York, The politics, The work Ethic , The attitude, The cost of living, the blowing garbage, it all s-ucks!

I went shopping for the crash pad the other day, I took my receipt from the food town home and went to the grocery store in my town to compare the cost.

I live on a tourist island.

Food Towne: $57.34
Harris Teeter: $36.79

milk, bread, jelly, peanut butter, pepper jack cheese, triscuits, oatmeal, popcorm, 6 pack of ultra, garbage bags, scouring pad 3 pack

You should be in Management. Choosing between your job and being displaced 1000 miles away from everything you know is for your benefit?

Yeah, life sucks. And everything in life is a compromise. What if they closed the doors and the jobs just went away? Is THAT a better alternative to a relo? For most, I think not.

The state of NY is taxing individuals and businesses to death. Perhaps they should get a clue and try to figure out how to retain businesses and the jobs that go with them. Then companies like JB might not be faced with such a major decision.

BTW - I moved to a tax friendly state (FL) 10 years ago because I wanted to keep more of my hard earned $$. No, not everyone wants to uproot families to save money. But then again perhaps a good number of the 1000 people you refer to would welcome the move.

As far as I'm concerned I hope we do move and all the Forrest Hillers quit rather than leave their beloved NYC. Good riddance. Let's get some folks working in the puzzle palace that have non-NYC centric perspective.

Yup, FL is paradise....

Both states are awash in red ink, as are many other states. FL to the tune of over $3.2 billion and NY isn't doing much better - when considered against the total population of each state (recall that states must balance their budgets, unlike the feds).

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/legislature/story/1436834.html

While you may not have an income tax in FL, the state has to earn revenue somehow. If it's not income taxes, it's property taxes, sales taxes or a myriad of fees. If they don't, essential services like schools, fire/EMS/police protection and other state-funded services go wanting. It's all a matter of what trade-offs you're willing to accept, I suppose.

For example, in May of 2009 FL tried to fix a budget deficit by raising an historic amount of taxes, fees and licenses -- about $2 billion worth -- on smokers, drivers, property owners, sportsmen, university students and sportsmen. See this article.

An example of "what you're willing to accept" might be the following. I lived in south-central Wisconsin for over 40 years before moving the DCA area. Wisconsin has an income tax and the state funds 2/3 of the cost of public schools and the public university system (including technical schools). While there were exceptions, most service-oriented businesses seemed to be staffed by reasonably intelligent, conscientious and motivated people. Although I had traveled here for work 10-12 times a year, I rarely ventured outside of the District because I didn't need to rent a car. We usually went to nicer - but not fancy - restaurants and stayed in Marriotts or Hiltons, and rarely had any problems with service, etc.

Once I moved here and needed to get help with even the most mundane things, I quickly found that, well, your average service-industry person out here seemed to be dumb as a box of rocks and not all that motivated. I can't count the number of times I've had to go back two or three times to get things done right that would almost assuredly been no problem back home. At times I've wondered whether the comparatively awful educational system out here has an influence on those kinds of things.

Oh well, your mileage, of course, may vary.

Last edited:
What if they closed the doors and the jobs just went away? Is THAT a better alternative to a relo? For most, I think not.
Of course not. However, claiming that forcing them to uproot their lives if they want to keep their job is somehow doing them a favor because they will get a tax break is a silly, management-y statement. If they wanted the Florida tax break, they'd be living in Florida. They've already made the compromises you refer to by choosing to live and work in New York. This is the company imposing compromises on them.
While it may be good for the company, and it may not affect you personally, I have a hard time believing that every employee impacted would consider it beneficial. Headquarters types don't have the option to commute and live wherever they please that pilots enjoy.

Last edited:
Actually I hear Delta will be moving their headquarters to Queens. After all they are New York's hometown airline.

I went shopping for the crash pad the other day, I took my receipt from the food town home and went to the grocery store in my town to compare the cost.

I live on a tourist island.

Food Towne: $57.34
Harris Teeter: $36.79

milk, bread, jelly, peanut butter, pepper jack cheese, triscuits, oatmeal, popcorm, 6 pack of ultra, garbage bags, scouring pad 3 pack

Well, there you go. You need to go with generic options and Natty Light.

I'm joking, as I'm crashing in Manhattan and have found like products to be 35-50% higher than in suburban Chicago. My benchmark is the Chipotle carnitas burrito which is $5.81 in Chicago and $7.89 at the 73rd and Amsterdam location.

IF we do make a move...I don't think it'll be 100% of the support from FSC. We'll still have some people in NY.

The ONLY way we'll stay is if NY give us a pretty sweet deal...it'll be all about the bottom $ in the end for this one.

My wife was looking at some accounting positions with jet blue. They were listed for Orlando on Monster.com

jws717.......thanks for the intel........looks like the MCO area is the choice. Now the company can "retain & attract" talent to work in the office.
Who the hell can afford to relocate and raise a family in Queens/Conn/"the Island".
In Brooklyn and Queens it's 500k to 700k for a twin, driveway not at each property at that price point. That is definately "off-the-radar" for the average Crew Scheduler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back