Orient Thai

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FutureTEDpilot

Anyone got some inside info? I read the PPRUNE stuff but need some scoop about the company from someone who has worked there. They are looking at picking up some of our TMA MD-80 crews. The pay is low, but in BKK it is actually pretty good, seems like a place to hide out and watch the dust settle over here ......

You might ask where other TWA pilots hang out. I ran into a TWA guy at a wedding this summer who had worked for Orient Thai. He went there probably a year and half ago with some other TWA guys. I know TWA was a big place, but you never know.

I don't remember all details, but it wasn't the most positive comments about an airline. Highlights included not being paid on time and having to go to Hong Kong to renew the Thai tourist visa as real thai work permits "cost too much".

iaflyer

I have a buddy there who is a B75 capt. He started as an F/O. I'll check wth him on how he likes it an post back here. In the meantime, what I can tell you from when we last talked is the pay sucks but being based in BKK is somewhat in line with a livable wage. I lived there once and can agree on the pay but if you have any bills here in the U.S. there will be nothing leftover for your costs here. He offered me a job there last year but there is no way I would pack up and leave for the other side of the world for less that $10,000/ mo. Last I checked, Orient Thai pays $2500/ mo for F/O and $5,000/ mo for capt.

$5000 for a Capt (Tax Free?) would more than pay for my house in the states, and I am sure you can rent cheap in BKK.

Thanks for the info, I will look forward to more.

Think long & hard before you go there. The guy who runs Orient Thai is worse than F. Lorenzo. I saw their planes in Asia L1011, B747-2 a few years ago and actually ran into their crews at the airport. Exchanged a few words and they didn't have anything nice to say about that place. Maybe try your luck at Singapore Airlines, China Airlines (Taiwan), Korean Air, Emirates, Etihad, or Qatar. I think they are all hiring direct entry captains.
Good luck!
Chronic Jetlag

whymeworry:

You friend wouldn't have an "X" in his name, would he? I've run into some of their crews in Bangkok. Didn't have much time to chat, but I did catch that the pay is quite low in comparison to the States. Still, BKK isn't that expensive a place to live.

Chronic Jetlag said:
Maybe try your luck at Singapore Airlines, China Airlines (Taiwan), Korean Air, Emirates, Etihad, or Qatar. I think they are all hiring direct entry captains.
Good luck!
Chronic Jetlag

While tha above is a true statement, it wouldn't necessarily apply unless you have the right qualifications. Somebody who is coming off being an MD-80 Captain won't meet any of those airlines qualifications for a DEC position. I know, because I was an MD-80 Captain and looked at most of those airlines. Singapore requires previous widebody PIC time, China Airlines requires previous PIC time on type, Korean requires PIC time on type, Emirates has stopped hiring DECs, Etihad requires PIC time on type, and Qatar requires time on type.

You might try calling IASCO to see if they have any MD-80 Captain positions opening up in Japan. That would be about the best you could do on the MD-80. I was in your shoes 4 years ago when I started looking for a job. Almost your exact same shoes really. 3000 PIC MD-80/90 and the best I could find on that airplane was in the $4000 to $5000 per month range.

Emirates as an F.O. pays the same or better than most MD-80 Captain positions. That's why I decided to come here. You may want to take a look at it too. Oh, and don't believe all the moaning on Pprune.

Typhoonpilot

I don't know about the other stuff, but I'll take a stab and guess that the ratio of hot stews at this place is just a bit higher than U.S carriers..............

FutureTEDpilot said:
$5000 for a Capt (Tax Free?) would more than pay for my house in the states, and I am sure you can rent cheap in BKK.

Thanks for the info, I will look forward to more.

Another question to ask if whether you, as an expat, have to pay Thai income tax. You can dodge the tax here, but MAYBE not over there. This was addressed on pprune but I can't remember the answer for sure...I think it was "yes" with the % being in dispute among posters ?

Latest resources

Back