• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ORF/PHF shutting down for good?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Yea, are you talking about that colorado mine company? Its a pretty decent place. I havent heard much about that caribbean operator, just little bits here and there. The last I heard was some fella went down a few years ago hoping for a quick upgrade, and still sitting right seat. Oh well, i guess thats the story for a lot of people. Its interesting to talk to other guys about what they think this America West merger will do for us. You have guys that say were all doomed, run for your lives (seems to be more common). Then on the other hand, some say give it 10-15 years and some of us will have A330's waiting for us to flow into. At anyrate, its all a game of chance and luck. No planning can be done, even to the best of our attempts. The best carrier right now will be in the dumper in 10 years.

Oh yea, on another thought. What did you PDT guys think of the new weight & balance stuff they are distributing? Did you ALG guys think it was a more efficient metheod? I hope the actual wheel is of better quality than that training thing they gave us in the package. None of my lines even lined up with the marks? I felt a little slow at it, but I suppose its like anything else, just do it and get used to it eventually.

Yep, the practice WHIZwheel was crap. I cracked open the packet in an airplane to do mine.

for complaints about syr, one word 'meow' :rolleyes:

the pdt whizwheel is very similar, although the entire system is somewhat more compicated...
that new book to do the numbers in is rediculously huge, and the variation in the kids weights (instead of just half) just makes it harder to do.
when we converted to the whizwheel we had maybe, a 10 page study guide, i can't believe the monstrosity of a package pdt put together, 90 some odd pages, and a cd???

oh, and get the van at the dubtree, to take you places in syr, go down to tully's (right near the onramp to the highway to the airport) good food, decent prices, its a sports bar type place, tons of tv's, you can walk it most of the time or if you have more time, see if they'll schlep ya down to armoury square, lotsa bars and restaurants near there (including the dinosaur) and the museum of science and technology (with a domed imax)

Last edited:
It's not the SYR weather. Its the day long, 3 leg commute. If you want to tell me to meow about that, well, go right on ahead. Its not what I, or any other CLT/PHF/ORF pilot signed up for.

That 90 page how to on the WHIZWheel is usual training dept stuff. I glanced through, broke open a packet in the cockpit (don't try it now that the company's pissed) and finished it up in about 10 min. No biggie, but doing it the first few times will take some getting used to. I doubt most of the PDT CA's will add up the weights, or spin the wheel. Gonna be all on the FO if I had to guess. Looks like we're going to be taking some delays for the first few days, but I like the idea of leaving fewer bags behind in the -100's.

Oh yeah......Quit leaving the inverter switches off....;)

Last edited:
i never touch the inverters :p so stop turning the intercoms off :cool:

3leg commute where the hell are you coming from HNL? and why would you bid for that??? :confused:
i would seriously recommend you go to lga then, that has to be an easier commute than syr i personally wouldn't pick a 3leg commute regardless of what my seniority would hold there... one leg was bad enough...
so yeah, commuting sucks...i'm well aware and feel your pain...

Last edited:
i would say that most if not all of the alg capts would do the wheel while the fo did the long math, there was a palm program floating around that would do the wheel stuff too, along with the numbers after putting in the info

Well, if ya'll didn't have to wear those DC's all the time.... Nah, just messing with ya.

The only way I'll go to SYR is if I get that extra stripe that's probably never coming. Same with LGA. Too expensive, and last time I looked the schedules were horrible. I commute from south of the Mason / Dixon line, and CLT is the easiest commute, followed by ROA. If they'd build some lines that didn't have all out and backs, I'd probably be back there in a heartbeat.

PM coming your way Dash.

Dash8 said:
oh, and get the van at the dubtree, to take you places in syr, go down to tully's (right near the onramp to the highway to the airport) good food, decent prices, its a sports bar type place, tons of tv's, you can walk it most of the time or if you have more time, see if they'll schlep ya down to armoury square, lotsa bars and restaurants near there (including the dinosaur) and the museum of science and technology (with a domed imax)

tully's ??? you mean Crossroads or did the name change?

second the dinosaur also the clam bar right off the airport drive.

Never thought I'd say it but I wouldn't mind moving back up there if I could flow back.

Is it snowing yet??

no, tullys, right next to the dunkin donuts and the clarion,
it used to be a....scheise, i can't remember what it was before
it just became tully's in the past year or so, on the west side of 81 not the east side where crossroads is (sorry, i know its a fav of many, but it never did much for me i like tully's better or the crowd there rather)

Latest resources

Back