Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Options Pilots About To Draw A Line In The Sand!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ITFL

A friend of mine sent me this. Good luck Options guys/gals stand your ground!!!!!

For over three years Flight Options pilots have been in negotiations for a first contract. Negotiations have progressed to the point where there are only a few remaining issues for bargaining, but they are the most critical, including finalizing scope, salary, PTO and duration. The time has come for the Union to prepare pilots for every possible outcome, including a tentative agreement or, in the alternative, National Mediation Board (NMB) release for self-help measures. In this first Pilot Preparedness Committee (PPC) communication, we would like to provide you with critical information about how the final process under the Railway Labor Act (RLA) may unfold in the near future. The PPC will send additional communications in the coming weeks.

The NMB Mediator has scheduled two additional rounds of bargaining. The Union and management will meet in CLE the week of August 17, 2009. At the Mediator’s instructions, the parties will meet at the NMB’s Washington, DC offices the week of September 14, 2009. The Union expects the Mediator will require management to send its principals to the meetings. As President Slinghoff recently announced, if a tentative agreement is not reached by the end of the September session, your Local 1108 Executive Board will assess the state of negotiations and determine an appropriate course of action that may include requesting a proffer of voluntary, binding arbitration from the NMB.

What do we mean when we say the Union may request a proffer of voluntary, binding arbitration?

Under the RLA, either the Union or management may request the NMB to declare that efforts at mediation have failed. If the NMB agrees that mediation has failed, the NMB will make a proffer of binding arbitration to resolve all outstanding issues. If management and the Union were to accept the proffer of binding arbitration, a neutral arbitrator would decide how to resolve all outstanding issues. The membership would not be permitted to vote on the outcome. As a result, unions typically reject a proffer of binding arbitration. If either management or a union rejects the proffer, the RLA requires a 30-day “cooling off” period.

What is the 30-day “cooling off” period?

During the 30-day “cooling off” period management and unions are prohibited from exercising self-help. Typically, the NMB will make a final attempt at a mediated resolution of all outstanding contract issues; however, the NMB cannot force the parties to reach agreement. At the expiration of the 30-day “cooling off” period, management and unions are free to exercise self-help unless the NMB notifies the President of the United States that the dispute substantially threatens essential transportation in the United States and the President establishes a Presidential Emergency Board (PEB).

What is a PEB?

A PEB is group of individuals appointed by the President to make non-binding recommendations for resolving a labor dispute. If the President establishes a PEB, the PEB has 30 days to make recommendations to the President. During the 30-day period during which the PEB is developing recommendations, management and unions are prohibited from engaging in self-help; however, the prohibition will expire. After the PEB makes recommendations to the President, the parties may accept the recommendations, reach an agreement on their own or engage in self-help 30 days after the PEB reports its recommendations to the President.

It is important to remember that management and the Union have not been released for self-help at this time. Therefore, the RLA prohibits using economic pressure unless and until the process described above is exhausted.

At this time, the PPC requests that all Flight Options pilots ensure that the Union has updated contact information, including name, address, home telephone number, cell phone number and personal email address. The Union needs to be able to contact and update you as events unfold. In addition, we echo the Executive Board’s request that all pilot families contact the Family Awareness Committee (FAC). To date, 163 Flight Options pilot families have made direct contact with FAC. The PPC and FAC will coordinate their efforts as we all hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Sounds like the Options folks are sticking together pretty well. I hope that the freeloaders amongst the pilot group get aboard pretty quickly (better late than never). I certainly wouldn't want to be forever remembered as one of the LOSER SCABS who benefited from the hard work and sacrifices of the majority while hiding in the shadows and contributing nothing while honorable men and women put everything on the line. Please 1108, publish a list of these pukes.

Its about f..king time!

Sounds like the Options folks are sticking together pretty well. I hope that the freeloaders amongst the pilot group get aboard pretty quickly (better late than never). I certainly wouldn't want to be forever remembered as one of the LOSER SCABS who benefited from the hard work and sacrifices of the majority while hiding in the shadows and contributing nothing while honorable men and women put everything on the line. Please 1108, publish a list of these pukes.

I think you should save the scab tag for the pilots management will hire after they are released for self help.

Since the company has never had any intentions of settling a contract, this will drag out for another year.
I think I just heard Ricci giggle.

Since the company has never had any intentions of settling a contract, this will drag out for another year.
I think I just heard Ricci giggle.

I think you got this about half right. The company has never had any intentions on settling the contract. Ricci who is in fact laughing will use the oppertunity to get rid of the union and hire scabs while there are lots of current and qualified guys on the street. It blows but I think this is how it will play out.

I don't think it will come to a strike.

Management knows that as soon as it is announced that the pilots are going to be taking a strike vote they will see the sales stop. They will also start to see all of those jet pass cards cashed out. Then the questions from the owners who have been paying extra to cover the cost of the pilot raises for the last 3 years.

Just the bad PR will keep the customers away. Who would put down $100K for a new jet card when the pilots have just announced a strike vote not knowing if you will be able to use it?

Latest resources

Back