Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Options Pilots About To Draw A Line In The Sand!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Continental Airlines exists today because there were those who dared to take the tough road and cross. While unions hate those that crossed, thousands of jobs were saved as a result, and the company exists today as a result.

How did it work out for those pilots that crossed at Eastern? . . . None of those pilots can get a job with any of the majors now. All their hopes of a career as major airline pilots have vanished.

Besides, this is the fractional forum, not the airline forum.

Do unions really pay more year after year? When the IBT takes 2.5% for dues and average inflation per year is 3.0%. So i need a 5.5% pay raise just to keep up with the Joneses. I think net jets gets on average a 3.5% raise every year so with my calculations they are losing 2.0% purchasing power every year...

Where to begin. . . First off, you better check your math for more reasons than one. We need about a 50-60% pay increase to "Keep up with the Jones"
Secondly, The IBT doesn't take that much, it is 1.56%. Thirdly, That percentage stays the same, so once you have started paying your dues, if Cost of living goes up 3% we need a 3% increase to keep up. If you don't think the average union pilot makes 1.56% more than the average non-union pilot, think it through again before you post.

I flew a Options the MX was and is top of the line.

Hah, good one. I wouldn't argue that our mechanics are capable of fixing the aircraft properly. . . if allowed the time. However, if they can't figure it out quickly and the aircraft has a flight scheduled, management pressures them to get it out the door with a MEL sticker, "a adjusted widget, ops check good" or a "can not duplicate, ops check good".

Pay is low, management knows this...

The first correct thing you've said!

... and wants to pay us more, they just don't want to bankrupt the company in the process.

That's almost funny. They are free to pay us more any time they wish. Instead, they are taking away our 401k match, raising the cost of our medical insurance, forcing vacations, etc.

If we didn't have a union pay would already be higher. The union has cost me money if i take into account what Mike S wanted to give us and that i will probably be taking a pay cut every year after the contract except for that initial pay increase with regard to inflation.

Policy that can be instituted at the whim of management can be taken away on another whim. What do you think would have happened to that raise when the economy tanked? What work rules did MS improve, any? In fact in addition to raising the cost of our medical insurance, he instituted a $50/month additional co-pay for spouses that have medical insurance available. His "offer" of a pay raise was a last ditch effort to settle the contract and save his job. . . and we still would have been the lowest paid pilots in the fractional industry!

So why does it make financial since to have a union when companies will most likely give a 3.0% to 3.5% raise every year anyway. I think having to pay 2.5% of your pay for life is really hurting pilots in the long run with regard to inflation.

Because it isn't "most likely" in a contract, it is definite. So are the work rules. The contract is about more than money. Even if it weren't, the average union pilot makes more than the average non-union pilot... in fact, the average difference is way more than enough to cover the 1.56% dues. Flight Options NEVER gave me a Cost of Living raise in all the years I have worked here, before or after the union. I have gotten a longevity raise, but it is only $100/month or about 1.5%, which is much less than inflation by your estimate.

The real winners in the Fractional industry are FLEX and 5 Star they got pay raises based off the market, they don't pay dues and actually have a chance at beating inflation if it stays around 3.0%.

Why do you think they got those raises? Did they get them first? Were they ever an industry leader in how their pilots were compensated or work rules? They got those raises because Netjets set the bar, and those companies didn't want to lose pilots to the competition or have a union. Plus, they have to work more days to still get less pay and don't have the work rules or the protections either. I would happily take an average of Citation Shares, Flexjet and Netjets pay. Had Flops management offered those kind of raises, they may not have a union, but that's all in the past now.

I wish Flight Options would hire someone to teach a crash course in business finance to its employees. Union companies are slow to react to changes it the market place. Why do we want to give our company a competitive disadvantage in the market place? Why don't we get in line with managements goals of making money via profit sharing and stock options. Sharing in a profitable companies success it the very best way of actually beating inflation.

I think you are the one that needs "a crash course in business finance". I'm all for profit sharing, just tie it to the same goals/metrics as Kenn Ricci's, and put it in a contract.

Can union Kool Aid drinkers even consider the opposing view? Please respond with intellectual stimulating responses.

I have, and I just did.

This is not my account and i am too cheap to pay the $10 fee. So i will have to read from the side lines after this post.

What a surprise! Probably the same reason you don't want to pay your dues.

Last edited:
993, I have to say that you are right on target on all your points, especially the last one. The best thing about voting on the CBA is that only the MIGs will be able to vote on it. We have been under paid for long enough. The economy is getting better, We now want an industry leading contract.

If the money is not at least industry standard, I and 25 of the people that I am close to will vote it down Just in time for peak travel. Don't wast our time on a crappy first offer, it will only hurt us all in peak travel (pilots pay, and companys sales).

If the money is not at least industry standard, I and 25 of the people that I am close to will vote it down Just in time for peak travel. Don't wast our time on a crappy first offer, it will only hurt us all in peak travel (pilots pay, and companys sales).

Make that 26 !

Yea I bet we will see more FLOPS pilots posting here, the union finally gave their freeloading azzezz the boot from the Union message board. They can read only.
I really love that only MIGS can vote!

It's only fair and right that those who want to vote on a contract that was fought for fair treatment and respect should be required to first extend that attitude to their fellow 1108 Members.

UNION DUES ARE A WISE INVESTMENT IN YOUR FUTURE

The 1108 is now pushing away the pilots that are not current with dues to be the new SFO's (good ol boys club) of Flight options. Very sad.

Sad for the New Good Ole Boys Members...

The 1108 is now pushing away the pilots that are not current with dues to be the new SFO's (good ol boys club) of Flight options. Very sad.

Because once the Contract is settled, that small group will become more and more isolated.

Hiring will eventually start again. All those New Hires will be Members in Good Standing (or at least pay a service fee of approx the same amount). That hold out group of Freeloaders who decided they would take their raises on the backs of their fellow pilots financial and back busting support, will become further isolated. And that's OK. They made their bed, they decided to stand with Management rather than their fellow Pilot brothers.

This, of course, is just the divide and conquer kind of stuff that Management loves. However, too little, too late. The Freeloader Club at Options has become rather small.

I hope they enjoy their futures as an ever shrinking minority.

Freedom is NOT Free

Latest resources

Back